Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally New Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Rally New Owner

Well, I traded off my bike I've had for about five years that I didn't put many miles on. 1982 CM450A Hondamatic! I'm a manual wheelchair user, specifically incomplete paraplegic. I can walk with a forearm crutch, not stable but I can ambulate. I cannot use my ankles at all, completely flacid, paralyzed, flop around like fish (more to that at the end) Well, me and the old Honda we layed on the road a couple times and the day I bought it coming up into the yard in front of the garage, just a gently tip over. It came with cruiser pegs, so no harm no foul. So before I got that bike I looked at many a Spyder, you know the GS 2009 2010, yellow, thinking perfect bike, except the price and maintenance. You can still see those 2010 fetching what I consider premium dollar.

Fast forward to last summer looking at Spyder's again, came into a little money from selling house, looking at Spyder RT going through divorce figured good investment, pretty close to buying very glad I didn't, it just way too expensive. I did sit on some F3's, just wasn't very friendly for my feet and shifting involved.

2019 Ryker I saw the ads about December? I was hooked. I've been looking this spring, went to as many dealers as I could. Read as many posts as I could find on here about buying! I PM'd people about pricing and their negotiations. I hope that is ok!

So far it's been pretty good. My only issues were the brakes. Taking some time to break in I'm seeing. I've read others state gorilla stomp, I agree. The power. I've only ran in eco, wow, amazing, plenty. I heard all the clicks, pops, rubs etc that I saw others post on video's here so that's all normal. Some say it reduces over time (re belt noise) so we'll see. I have passenger seat, found I can attach my crutch easily and go riding.

Future plan, I ordered a Cal Sci windshield, I was going to get factory, but it just looks too small. I'm in MN, last couple days I've been getting beat up by the wind, it's horrible here, all the time. I'm in southwest MN, great plains, flat. Windy, I'll get that installed this Thursday pending the blizzard coming. I was thinking about taking it out in the snow, I would think it would be fun, but I'm not going to, not worth getting it all wet and maybe picking up road chemicals.

Thank you to everyone for helping me in my endeavors! (ps I hope the picture posts?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Oh, and my next endeavor is to make a manual wheelchair mount/rack. My buddy owns machine shop so we'll see what we come up with. I think I can get my manual wheelchair strapped in passenger seat, jury is out on that yet as my chair tears up the back seat with it's hardware.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see you got the Rally. Good choice, so did I. cueman

Spyder Garage

Great choice! Like being a kid all over again!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

You said your ankles "flop around like fish." How are you with the foot brake? I'll bet someone could figure out how to put a reservoir and a hand brake on it if they tried. My ankles are OK and I still had some issues with the brake pedal. Moving it to a more upright position did help.

Spyder Garage

Congrats on getting the Rally. Enjoy the new toy!
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do a search for Ryker hand brake. It was just discussed recently. I hope this helps. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    You said your ankles "flop around like fish." How are you with the foot brake? I'll bet someone could figure out how to put a reservoir and a hand brake on it if they tried. My ankles are OK and I still had some issues with the brake pedal. Moving it to a more upright position did help.
    Yes my ankles are paralyzed/numb, but I've learned to adapt. I know all about ISCI handbrake or read about it from Spyder posts. I refuse to spend 1000 dollars on one. Not going to happen in my lifetime. So until then I'll keep looking for workarounds. I think flat pegs will do the trick, I really like lamonsters flat pegs, but at 300 going to have to save a while for those. Thanks for the suggestion!

Spyder Garage

Sorry reread your post. I agree moving it to more upright position seems to be helping, think I'll move it back another notch see if it's too much of grandpa mode. haha

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    .. think I'll move it back another notch see if it's too much of grandpa mode. haha
    I resemble that remark....
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

I resemble that remark....
    Doh. I guess I'm not making very many friends today. I am sorry that was a very asinine statement on my part. Sorry.

Spyder Garage

When did "Grandpa Mode" become a thing? BMW accessory.jpg. I thought it was always that way.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    Doh. I guess I'm not making very many friends today. I am sorry that was a very asinine statement on my part. Sorry.
    Please don't confuse our playful sarcasm with criticism. This is really a supportive community.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

There are many of us here that would fit the "grandpa mode" definition. I took no offense -- I am as old as I am. Just glad I made it this far.
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your Ryker and welcome to the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

And I certainly didn't take offense, I am a grandfather four times over and a GREAT grandfather of six! Nchangin, the winking smiley was there to indicate there was no offense, sorry if you thought I was serious!

Spyder Garage

And I certainly didn't take offense, I am a grandfather four times over and a GREAT grandfather of six! Nchangin, the winking smiley was there to indicate there was no offense, sorry if you thought I was serious!
    McRuss, I figured so, but you never know!

Spyder Garage

So.... looking at me, my size, Do you think a large windscreen from cal sci is the right size? I have it, just snowed in, bike is 20 miles away. BTW, I received it 2 days after I ordered it, Marc (spelling?) is very friendly, I received an invoice right away and a shipping notification shortly thereafter!

Spyder Garage

Good question. Answer depends on too many factors though. I ordered a medium since I don't want to look through it but my situation is similar: bike is 500 miles away and my screen got hung up in shipping and I don't have it yet. After reading the post about raising the extra large, I'm wondering if the medium is too small. Then again, the gentleman who needed to raise the extra large WANTED to look through it. My only gripe with Mark is that there was no place on his website to track the shipment. I emailed him and he quickly replied though (supposed to be here today.....)

Spyder Garage

Good question. Answer depends on too many factors though. I ordered a medium since I don't want to look through it but my situation is similar: bike is 500 miles away and my screen got hung up in shipping and I don't have it yet. After reading the post about raising the extra large, I'm wondering if the medium is too small. Then again, the gentleman who needed to raise the extra large WANTED to look through it. My only gripe with Mark is that there was no place on his website to track the shipment. I emailed him and he quickly replied though (supposed to be here today.....)
    I was sent a USPS tracking # in separate email? I'll find out soon enough and report back. I just want to be not beat up by the wind, it's horrible here, most of the time. Even if I went full faceshield helmet, body still get's the abuse. Would like to see yours once you get setup!

Spyder Garage

Mine came today, looks really good but no way to tell how it will fit. There is a photo though, thread "modification to a CalSci windscreen" or similar, of a rider with a medium. Judging by his height and the profile photo, I think medium is going to work for me.

Spyder Garage

Mine came today, looks really good but no way to tell how it will fit. There is a photo though, thread "modification to a CalSci windscreen" or similar, of a rider with a medium. Judging by his height and the profile photo, I think medium is going to work for me.
    Good to hear! I opened the box, but not the packages, tools required? Let me know how it pans out, I'm frosty the snowman until Mon/Tues I suspect.

Spyder Garage

Good evening folks, I decided to put this here instead of opening a new thread. Since I bought this has bothered me (see picture). Today I'm putting on accessories there it is. So I pull gently, it's tight, I look at riding pegs, I still have ( think) two more sections to move that peg back, but there is no way it would as that wire is tight as it is.

Is this normal? Shouldn't these wires have more room to move pegs back if wanted? Thanks for looking! Ryker Rally Edition
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

The rail that the peg/brake pedal are mounted to has markings where the settings were imagined by Can-Am. You should be close to the back as it is, hard to tell from the angle of the picture. There is a lot more room on the rails that are not usable by design. The body work has tabs on it that stop the pegs from moving too far forward/backward.
    I got curious one day since it looked like I had more room to move the peg farther forward than it was going, so I crawled about looking at the set up.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue