Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Analysis results - green OK check mark!

Three weeks ago we had quite a discussion about leaving oil in the engine over winter storage. Naturally, of course, there were a few varying opinions. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...94#post1428194

I just now received the results for the sample I sent in for analysis. The last time I changed oil was a year ago. I had it analyzed at that time. Analysis results for both are included in the report below. I only rode 4200 miles in the past year and have not changed the oil after sitting all winter.

In short, the Base Number, which is a measure of how well the oil will neutralize acids, is still high at 7.2. From what I read oil needs to changed when the BN drops below 3. Viscosity is the same as last year's oil analysis. Water is the same as last year when the previous oil had run 10,719 miles and also sat over the winter. There are some minor changes in the other chemicals. The diagnosis is:

DIAGNOSIS
    All wear rates normal. Abrasive and other contaminant
    levels are acceptable. Viscosity within specified
    operating range. Action: Resample next recommended
    service interval to further monitor.
    Note they say resample at the next service interval. They don't say change the oil.

Oil Analysis 3-2019 Page 1-a.jpg

Oil Analysis 3-2019 Page 2.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I know I am going to hell for this, but Amsoil is my go to oil for most of my toys in the barn, and in my cars and trucks! And that test just gives me more fuel for the fire!! Good to see! Thank you for this post!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Three weeks ago we had quite a discussion about leaving oil in the engine over winter storage. Naturally, of course, there were a few varying opinions. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...94#post1428194

I just now received the results for the sample I sent in for analysis. The last time I changed oil was a year ago. I had it analyzed at that time. Analysis results for both are included in the report below. I only rode 4200 miles in the past year and have not changed the oil after sitting all winter.

In short, the Base Number, which is a measure of how well the oil will neutralize acids, is still high at 7.2. From what I read oil needs to changed when the BN drops below 3. Viscosity is the same as last year's oil analysis. Water is the same as last year when the previous oil had run 10,719 miles and also sat over the winter. There are some minor changes in the other chemicals. The diagnosis is:

Note they say resample at the next service interval. They don't say change the oil.

Oil Analysis 3-2019 Page 1-a.jpg

Oil Analysis 3-2019 Page 2.jpg
    Thanks for this info …. I guess the Double or triple ADDITIVE levels don't matter …….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default 2020 Analysis

I thought I had already added this to this thread, but I guess not!

Here are the lab results of my oil when I changed it this past March. Oil went 6950 miles (oil report has a typo) and 22 months. Amsoil metric 10W40. You'll notice the viscosity is 13.5 compared to last year's test of 13.0. Good question why it went up instead of down. The base number, which is what matters most, went down as expected from 7.2 to 5.8. There was still plenty of life left in this oil. Oil is generally considered good as long as the TBN is above 3.

Oil Analysis March 2020 -1.jpg

Oil Analysis March 2020 -2.JPG

Oil Analysis March 2020 -3.JPG

Oil Analysis March 2020 -4.JPG

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the good info----Glad I changed to Amsoil.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Outstanding report considering 22 months. Oil threads are interesting to me whether meaningful or not; to others, just popcorn time.

Spyder Garage

The only thing I see about the OP post number 1, is that the oil at 4200 miles is just a hair into the 40 weight range. It's holding up well, but watch for continued cST drop as miles add on. Looking at both columns, those oils do not appear to be the same. There are marked differences between add packs even considering the one oils use for 10k. If those are both AmSoil metric, I'd be asking if they initiated a change in formula. Iron tracks with mileage, I expect to see more on the 10k sample.
    And for those that still wring their hands and cry "moly damages clutches and makes them slip", note that AmSoil has a snoot full of moly in it.
    Oils will thin initially due to shear of the VI additive. Good oils will stabilize for a while, then begin to thicken as soot and oxidation take over. Continued exposure to high temperatures accelerates the process. Then it's time for a change.
    Nothing wrong at all with that report, or AmSoil metric. It's one of the finer choices available.
    The thing about reports is watching trends. It can be an early warning for engine problems, but more likely just to be used to see when to change the oil and roll on.

Spyder Garage

Nice to see someone didn't swap out perfectly good oil after the "recommended" 12 month interval

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

It's not straightforwardly identified on the reports but the 2018 report is for the previous oil fill changed in 2018. The 2019 & 2020 reports are for the oil I drained in March.

2014 Copper RTS