Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Washing Your Spyder....

Just wondering whether any of you wash your Spyder at one of those self-service car washes? If so, is there anything to avoid or be careful of (other than keeping the seat dry so that you can drive off in comfort)?

Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Keep the high pressure stuff off of the gauges and buttons. Water in those areas can cause electrical issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Bucket and a sponge for me and I still try to avoid the buttons and guages
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Well...

Most are high pressure and not that good for the spyder. As they are water proof it is more of a rain type and therefore you should not spray up under things, get close and best scrub with a brush or rag rather than power wash things off. I would stay back about 2 feet with the nozzle . Keep clear ofcontrols and electrical connections.... Things to consider but know many that do use the car wash....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

What to avoid? Those pressure washes! They drive soap and water into areas where you don't want it and stays to do its dirty work. Best to do a bucket wash and avoid getting switch gear and electricals wet. I wipe those with a damp cloth, then dry with a towel.
    S-100 is fantastic stuff - spray on, rinse off. But use it only on wheels and running gear as it requires a lot of rinsing. I never hand washed a MC engine, just used S-100, rinsed, then blow dried with a leaf blower. They always looked like new - they better, I'm an OCD MC guy!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I always took my Can Am Outlander and Commander to the car wash. Those vehicles are made for mud and water (to a point). But they still didn't want to have pressure washers sprayed directly at electricals and drive seals, etc. I would not take my Spyder to a high pressure wash. I use a spray bottle of water and micro cloths. When heavily soiled, I have occasionally used a hose and soft car wash brush but I am still a wuss with water around electricals..... Probably overly protective but that's just me..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I like to avoid the high pressure wash. Prefer the bucket and sponge method.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    What to avoid? Those pressure washes! They drive soap and water into areas where you don't want it and stays to do its dirty work. Best to do a bucket wash and avoid getting switch gear and electricals wet. I wipe those with a damp cloth, then dry with a towel.
    S-100 is fantastic stuff - spray on, rinse off. But use it only on wheels and running gear as it requires a lot of rinsing. I never hand washed a MC engine, just used S-100, rinsed, then blow dried with a leaf blower. They always looked like new - they better, I'm an OCD MC guy!
    Thanks guys! Never heard of S-100 so I did some googling and Youtubing. I think I'll give it a try, but have one or two questions first:

1. What do you mean by "running gear"?
    2. Can this be used on surfaces with decals (ie - "WrapMySpyder" stuff)?
    3. When you rinse, do you use a simple garden hose or something more high pressure?

I'm a lazy old guy, who can't get down low easily anymore, so "spray on, rinse off and blow dry to take care of the worst of it" sounds great to me!

Thanks!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

I for one have a pressure washer and when on the road use a pressure washer.
    The trick is to use a little common sense when using one.
    I never get closer than 1.5 - 2 feet, never spray directly onto the cluster or hand controls.
    Been riding a Spyder for 7 years and haven't had a problem...
    As for the wet seat, I have a rain cover from Ultimate seats. Put it on before washing and ride away with a dry bum!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    S-100 is fantastic stuff - spray on, rinse off. But use it only on wheels and running gear as it requires a lot of rinsing.
    I think he's referring to the lower drive stuff like the sprockets, belt, brakes, etc. There gets to be quite a bit of grime on those components, especially brake dust.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

So what do we do when riding in the rain at 65 mph?: Avoid gauges and buttons

Spyder Garage

Avoid the high pressure washer .

I use soap and water. Then I use Lamont's detailer.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Thanks guys! Never heard of S-100 so I did some googling and Youtubing. I think I'll give it a try, but have one or two questions first:

1. What do you mean by "running gear"?
    2. Can this be used on surfaces with decals (ie - "WrapMySpyder" stuff)?
    3. When you rinse, do you use a simple garden hose or something more high pressure?

I'm a lazy old guy, who can't get down low easily anymore, so "spray on, rinse off and blow dry to take care of the worst of it" sounds great to me!

Thanks!
    Also good :
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...916-Fast-Wax-1

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    So what do we do when riding in the rain at 65 mph?: Avoid gauges and buttons
    I don't think running in the rain at ANY speed will come close to the 1000-1500 PSI that self serve car washes generate..... And I personally believe that pressure has the ability to drive dirt into places where we don't want it in addition to compromising weather proof seals..... But, to each his own..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For one direct answer to your direct question: REMOVE THE IGNITION KEY. Whether high pressure or low pressure, flowing water can run down the key into the ignition switch. Pull that key and let the little inside flap close the keyhole first.

My dealer uses pressure wash, and didn't pull the key... I ended up waiting 8 days for replacement DSS stuff before it would run again! (Covered by warranty, though.)
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Car wash is all I ever use. I like to wash it every few weeks whether it needs it or not! Just keep the nozzle back away from the dash. Take the key out first! You don't have to back away very far before the actual pressure of the water drops to safe levels. Just don't point the nozzle directly at the gap under the frunk and trunk lids or you will push soapy water into them! I wash the seat. Doesn't take much to dry it off, and a little water on the back of my pants never hurt anything! I usually give the Spyder an overall spray with high pressure wash, then some of the super cleaner cycle like on tires, and then use the soap brush to rub everything down. An overall rinse followed sometimes by the wax cycle finishes it off.

I own my Spyder to ride and enjoy, not show off. Bug residue, dirt, dust, a few scratches, are all par for the course.

A guy told me one time, "I can look at your shoes and tell you what your car looks like!" You know, I think he's right!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

All the time and I use Merlin's Blood on my wheels. I'm sensible with the spray and keep a reasonable distance and avoid electronics and the seat. My self-serve spray wash has a blow dryer I used followed by a towel on the harder to get to spots. Works well!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Just wondering whether any of you wash your Spyder at one of those self-service car washes?
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wash

I use bucket of mild soapy water and a soft cloth. Then a leaf blower to dry.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We use nothing but soft towels soaked in hot water. Drape then all over the motorcycle and let them soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Then wipe the surface with those same towels and dry one section at a time. We the. Detail wit( Lamonster’s Black Diamond Detailer. We do this after every ryde!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

At home I use a bucket and soapy water, rinse well and dry of with micro-cloths then a spray and wax. On the road if they are really dirty I drive to the nearest car wash and use the pressure sprayer, just use some common sense and stay back and make sure you pull the key. They can get really dirty on the road trips especial y in the spring when you are going over mountain passes with a lot of cinder buildup and a car wash does a great job on removing it. With over 100,000 miles on our Spyders we have never had a issue from washing them, just be careful around the electronics.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mostly soap and bucket and low pressure spray to rinse. On the rare occasions when it's really grimy I try to keep the high pressure spray below the level of the tires. In addition to the instrument cluster, you want to spray tangentially to any air intakes and ducts; you don't want high pressure water going up into the intake or exhaust or up into the body cavity where it could pool.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have been washing bikes at car washes for over 50 years. If you don't pull back on the wand trigger you get a nice soft spray. Not strong enough to blow past a seal. As to the gauges I don't do that part of the Spyder at the car wash, I do wash that by hand after the rest is done. Because of all the brake dust and grime I do spray Merlin's Blood on the wheels before I hit them with the wand.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Follow-up question to all the great advice above. On my new 2018 RT Limited, how the heck do you get the bug crud cleaned from between the inside of the windshield and front of the black frame where the windshield is attached to it (bottom of the windshield)? The gap between the windshield and the frame is super narrow and I can't fit a finger between it. I can't fit a toothbrush between it. The rest of my Spyder gets washed after every ride, but I still have dried bug guts from 2 weeks ago on the inside of the windscreen and the black windscreen frame in the above places. There's probably a simple answer I haven't thought of yet, but for now...
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Well on my washer i cab adjust pressure. Haven't seen to many that you can't

Spyder Garage

Warm soapy water or a mixture of hydrogen peroxide.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue