Spyder Garage

Default on Tour with a Ryker - 1000 miles over the Alps

I heard that the rykers are not "suitable for longer tours" - (a joke?) so I tested it by myselve before we start our 35th honeymoon trip to southern Italy ..(2up)
    On my first Exit at the Dealer I was unhappy with the front, so they added the sway-bar and now it is a perjekt Power-sport-tourer (rear Fox /side case/Toyo tire) I added a bigger Windshield, a Topcase with a"flat" seat for my Girl and use an old Tank back ...

Despite faster driving, consumption is about like our old V2-RT – the range is about 190 miles to refuelling (fits in the tank more than in the catalogs??)
    The performance is now better than on the Spyders and with the drive-shaft you can finally drive around a bit Off-road - the maximum Speed is enough for it, normally we ride 60-80 mls/hour .....
    Pretty much the best BRP has ever put on three wheels!!
    (after 1.600 miles the driver seat is not really for longer tours - so I hope to get a "comfort" one soon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CBuXwN06J8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Excellent.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the updates and the pictures.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear...and see.....

Nice review and detail on how to better make your ryker a bit more suitable for the long ryde and double up at that. This should help those on the fence about the ryder. Thanks for the information, test and results. Thank the passenger as well....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the write up. I think the top case with pillion seat in place will catch on with the aftermarket people, at least I hope so.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Vielen Dank, Köszönöm, Merci, and Thank-you!
    Clear and concise personal experience is SO much better than all the conjecture.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Thank you for sharing. I have been debating whether or not a 250 mile trip might be too much or not, I think I'll be ok now!

Question though, you say 190 miles to refueling, does your range meter reflect that as well? Mine full only say 127 to empty?
    2020 Rally Edition , Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

My gauge reads low miles to empty also when full. But I figured out is that what you have to to is MATH. Reset your trip meter to 0 at fill up. Then enjoy riding not looking at the "Range" mileage. (I usually watch MPG consumption, around 37 mpg on ECO) Then when fuel gauge drops down one bar add "Range" mileage to your Trip Distance Mileage. It will be greatly improved and it will get better on down the road. Example trip distance at 87 miles, range at 105. that makes close to 192 miles to the tank full. To be on the save side assume about 5 miles short of that.
    BTW this is my 1st reply ever. I hope i didn't confuse all of us!!