Thread: Seat wont open

Spyder Garage

Default Seat wont open

2018 RT Limited.
    When I tried to open the seat to get gas, only one side unlatched.
    It seems on the RTs there are 2 latches.
    Only the left side is unlatching.
    I tried pressing real hard while turning the key, even pounding on the right side of the seat.
    I am not sure if there is something jamming the latch or maybe the cable came loose.

Any suggestions on how to gently force it open, short of taking it to the dealer?
    2018 RT Limited White/Chrome.
    BlueSeaSky front & rear dash cam.
    USB plugs
    TechMount cellphone holder
    Squared Away laser alignment.
    BajaRon anti-sway bar and links.
    Dynojet
    Ceramic coated cat delete pipe

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

New 2018 RT Limited owner. The left side of my seat was/is ALWAYS loose compared to the right side. I can lift it up slightly and it will move, while the right side stays solidly down (no "free play" in it) unless I unlock the seat using the key. Spyder owners I asked about it on a group ride said that is normal as they thought only the right side locks the seat down. So I'd be interested in knowing if there are two locking points or just the right side one.

Can't help you with what may be causing yours not to open at all.

EDIT: Yes, there is only one latch on the right side. The left side of the seat will have some minor up/down play in it at the front.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

yes, I think you are correct about there being only one latch.. I can lift the left side up a few inches.
    But the latch makes no noise when pushing in the key and turning it.
    USB plugs
    Dynojet

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With the key pushed down and turned, push down on the seat. The latch may just be tight. Pushing the seat down may release the pressure against the pin. The latch is a pin with a head on it bolted to the seat which goes down and is held by a latch plate that moves sideways when the key is turned. It's on the right side only. No latch on left side. Here's a pic of the latch mechanism. The rusty wire is what I added to be able to open the seat when and if the key doesn't do it. If you're handy you can play around with the hinges at the back of the seat and the length and position of the pin on the bottom of the seat to get the pin to slide neatly into the hole. Any misalignment can cause the problem you're having. Also, put some lube on the latch so it'll operate smoother.

Seat latch wire 1.jpg
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 04-07-2019 at 08:11 PM. Reason: add pic

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I tried that. that was the 1st thing I did. WHen the key is turned I can hear a solenoid click from the area of the fuses.
    I can pry the seat out enough to shine a light and see the latch and I can see the pin you are talking about.
    It appears there is a cable under or next to the pin and I can see the spring attached to the cable. But when I push the key in and turn it, i hear the solenoid up front, but the cable dpoes not budge
    USB plugs
    Dynojet

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You sure you're pushing the key in before turning? If you can see the latch maybe you can hook it with a metal coat hanger and release it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

yes.. positive I am pushing it in..
    I tried a long screwdriver to push the latch but I havent tried a coat hanger.. I will try that and see if there is something to grab.
    USB plugs
    Dynojet

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Look at the picture of the latch in post#4.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

We will be back in Las Vegas Thursday night. If you still need help, call us. Number below. We can fix it. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I got it, thanks everyone.. THere was a small bolt that fell out from a bag of bolts that was laying near the mechanism.
    I was using those small bolts to mount my dash cam on the dash over the weekend.
    One was jammed in the mechanism.
    I was able to shine my light in there and used a slim jim to push it out of the way.

Note to self: Never use the space under the seat as a work bench!
    USB plugs
    Dynojet

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSpyder View Post
    I got it, thanks everyone.. THere was a small bolt that fell out from a bag of bolts that was laying near the mechanism.
    I was using those small bolts to mount my dash cam on the dash over the weekend.
    One was jammed in the mechanism.
    I was able to shine my light in there and used a slim jim to push it out of the way.

Note to self: Never use the space under the seat as a work bench!
    …. Now that you have fixed that issue, you might want to consider what I did...… Using another piece of wire I PARTIALLY opened the Latch mechanism..... this allows it to latch - but if I pull up on the right front side of the seat …. the seat will open. ….. IMHO the ignition switch should be for starting and shutting off the engine. …. from other members here, they have had issues with the cable coming off the ignition switch, getting that fixed at the dealer is Quite expensive......…….good luck ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I saw that.. and that's an excellent idea.
    Actually, it was another post with a picture of a wire attached to the latch
    USB plugs
    Dynojet

Spyder Garage

We have a 2011 RT . I just got tired of it not in unlatching and took a plastic wire tie and fixxed it so it doesn't lock anymore. I really don't worry about anyone stealing gas. Now I just hop off raise the seat and pump gas.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSpyder View Post
    I saw that.. and that's an excellent idea.
    Actually, it was another post with a picture of a wire attached to the latch
    ………….. Other members have suggested or actually re-moved the POST from the seat …… BIG mis-take , that will allow the seat move forward & backward ….. the seat edge can / will rub the paint off the side panels it covers …… Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ………….. Other members have suggested or actually re-moved the POST from the seat …… BIG mis-take , that will allow the seat move forward & backward
    It can take some doing but if one carefully moves the post into just the right position so it goes dead center into the hole, the seat will lift on its own when you turn the key!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    It can take some doing but if one carefully moves the post into just the right position so it goes dead center into the hole, the seat will lift on its own when you turn the key!
    Unless of course the cable has become dis-connected ..... " In a perfect world - perfection solves all issues " …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Folks I can't thank you enough for this blog Spyderlovers, it has helped me many times in the 2 1/2 years my wife has owned a 2014 RT. Today was no exception thankfully my wife wanted me to install her beads cover for her seat. yep first time in 2 1/2 years the freaking key would not release the seat. Came to spyderlovers and found many folks have had the same problem. Our problem for whatever the reason key was not moving the latch at all. After a few minutes of research and few minutes of removing side panel that has canam logo and prying with screwdriver I got the seat up. I have done what some on this thread have done tie wrapped the latch open as in permanent. I even took the cable anchor off the latch so there is no way in haydees the latch will work.IMG_2974.jpg

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You need a gas door
    Call me I will show you how to do it for FREE
    209-887-3283
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Simply setting on the seat will usually decompress the latch enough to be able to push in and turn the key to the right. At least twice a year I clean all latches with WD-40 and a brush. Next I apply a small amount of Lithium grease to the contact parts of the latches.

Don't wait until it fails. I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I left mine tied for a while and used a piece of pvc to hold the seat up. In your pic where the spring is I ran a fishing lead up into the glove box to use in an emergency
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO