Spyder Garage

Default Gas can in trunk

Anyone find or try to fit a gas container in the front trunk.
    I know its not the safest, but will want to do some rides wout gas stations.
    Plan on doing some long mountain trips and want to make sure I don't run out.

Spyder Garage

They make stackable gas cans for snowmobiles or atvs, that have a mounting post to hook them down. If you had a RT with a back rack I think I would come up with a way to install it there. Another opt is, do you have a reserver hitch? You could make a small rack that slides into the hitch that you could carry gas on that. I don't know if I would carry in the front trunk, there is a weight limit up there, not to mention it's going to get warm in there! Good Luck, be safe!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

I do carry a liter metal fuel bottle for emergency but I am thinking you are looking for more capacity. There are many that carry them in the side bag and one even installed an additional tank in the frunk. So it would be how much you want to carry and the mileage you get per gallon. But to do it .... many do and types of gas containers are many that would fit just right....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

If you use your trunk for gas you’ll never want to use it for anything else, unless you don’t care if your stuff smells like gas. If you do your research ahead of your trip you can plan for gas stops. Otherwise get what Chupaca has, they don’t smell.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I would be leery of carrying gas in either the trunk or frunk. They both have electrical things installed and are not vapor proofed. One little spark and you become a Roman Candle. Carrying gas in a side bag would be a much better option. I have also seen gas containers attached to the passenger foot boards but then you can't have a passenger...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I carry a made for motorcycles 1 Gal REDA Innovations Fuel Can RGC1001 Has an excellent spout system that prevents leaks while stored in bike, but easily provides you with a one gallon reserve. Its rode in my Frunk and Trunk.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Start a log to keep track of your fill ups. You will discover that you are not utilizing your whole tank capacity. An F3 has a 7.1 gallon capacity. most fill ups when I get a low fuel light are around 5 gallons, maybe a little more. My range is usually around 250 miles on the highway. Its hard to go that far on a spyder without stopping for a rest.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Extra gas

The " it will smell thing " is a myth..... It depends on what type of container you store the Gas in ….. I have a 750ml Tequila bottle ( glass ) in the rear trunk, it's sort of Rectangular shaped so it fits nicely attached ( by a HM bracket to the right side ) It has NEVER smelled or leaked …. The Cap was made to seal Alcohol in the bottle. That's a lot thinner to say water and about the same as gasoline...…. I am going to replace that container with a like shaped " Burnett's Gin " … PLASTIC bottle , because it would be a bit safer …… Carrying any Flammable liquid is a crap shoot ….. But to put it in prospective ….. You are carrying GAS in your gas Tank ….and a lot more of it …… just sayin ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Do not put gas on a hitch rack. Those racks bounce with the suspension. The gas cans would probably burst open.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where in the USA are you going to ride that is further than 250 miles between fuel stops?

Spyder Garage

Mike...I hope you aren't mixing Tequila and Gin...
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Mike...I hope you aren't mixing Tequila and Gin...
    ...…NEVER …….. Mike

Spyder Garage

What I'm attempting,https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...02841-Tourtank
    still ongoing

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

MSR Fuel Bottles........ they are metal, made to carry fuel, and they don't leak....... up to 30 oz size.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smokster View Post
    Anyone find or try to fit a gas container in the front trunk.
    I know its not the safest, but will want to do some rides wout gas stations.
    Plan on doing some long mountain trips and want to make sure I don't run out.
    Rotopax makes some very nice cans that will fit, there are also some Rotopax knockoffs if you want to save some money, although they are not as robust as a Rotopax.
    https://rotopax.com/

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I would be leery of carrying gas in either the trunk or frunk. They both have electrical things installed and are not vapor proofed. One little spark and you become a Roman Candle. Carrying gas in a side bag would be a much better option. I have also seen gas containers attached to the passenger foot boards but then you can't have a passenger...... Jim
    There is always a concern when hauling fuel, but I have at least 40,000 miles carrying fuel under the hood of a snowmobile using a Tour Buddy which siphoned the fuel off the Tour Buddy via the gas tank vent hose, it was simple and effective. A Spyder will never see the abusive conditions a sled goes through on a typical ride.

With rider forward sleds there is no longer the space haul fuel under the hood so now we use Rotopax stored in saddlebags, not as convenient as the Tour Buddy but it beats a cold lonely walk out of the bush.

98ArcticCatThunderCatSideOpen.jpg
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

>CLICK ME<

Safe fuel bottles have come down in price considerably from when I was able to out-ride my gas tank. >sigh< Those days are gone.

Side note: I found aluminum 20 oz water bottles for $1 at a hardware store. The only thing I had to replace was the o-ring to a petrol safe one at about 15¢ each. Served me well on my quads and GL1800 wing.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Find another solution. This one is fraught with problems.
    2014 RTL Platinum