Spyder Garage

Lightbulb 2017 F3 limp mode code 0340 8500 miles on it

So I’m Riding my F3 under normal leisure speeds and I get the limp mode light . It drives normal so I get it home I hold down the mode set button at the same time as I hold down the blinker button and up pops the code . It’s a cam position sensor code . I do a little research and I figure out that it’s a commen problem . I call the dealer tell him what it is and he says This is the first time im hearing about a this being a common problem . He states that he has to order the part and this might delay my service for the 9100 hundred miles which is two weeks away . So I’m thinking does it take two weeks to get a part from Brp. Second how many times am I going to hear from his is the first time hearing of these issues . Do dealers not use google . I’m really starting to think I have complete amateurs working on my F3T which I added all the parts to make it a limited . My issue is in the state of Ct there are 4 dealers and most of them sell very few of these units so there not working on many of them . It’s disappointing that Brp for what they’re charging does not have more service centers in this state . IMHO these dealers added can am to boost sales and though of the service as an aftermath . I base this on discussions with the 4 of them when asking to add the pack case, everyone said never did one so I’ll see if we can figure out . Same thing with the new peg boards .the sway bar and the vibration dampener . Overall I love the machine but I can’t rely on service

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

Parts have always been an issue with BRP from my experience. There are other suppliers or OEM parts like cheapcycleparts.com that seem to be better stocked and ship fast but dealers don't or can't use them.
    Now on the code issue one always needs to reset and double check as these machines are prone to glitches that seem to go away. Pulling the key and allowing the computers to reset or disconnecting the battery for the same reason usually will let the check program go through it's paces and may not find the issue anymore. So you ryde on and if it returns you then need to go further into it. I have had codes and limp home come on and I have cleared them while ryding by shuting the engine pulling the key holding it behind my back a bit (while coasting which is easy on a manual) re-inserting it pop the clutch and the limp mode is gone. The check engine light that generally comes on for any code takes a bit long to clear. Like a gas break or lunch stop. Now if it does not clear at all you may have a real issue....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JDTOLLAND View Post
    So I’m thinking does it take two weeks to get a part from Brp.
    Unfortunately, yes. I waited 3-4 weeks (I lost count) for a new shifter assy (left handlebar cluster assy) for my 2015 F3-S! I have had to order anything OE online, cuz the dealers don't stock anything and it takes forever. But since you are in warranty you have no choice but to wait on them....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

That never heard of that problem before ,all dealers use that .They can lie to your face ,when you prove them wrong .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

I tried the battery reset and the key walk but did not work . The exhaust smells awful and the gas mileage is awful as well as the timing being off . There is a definite issue . I’ll keep you folks posted as to when it gets fixed . I would strongly urge that anyone who bought an f3 before the two year warranty expires add the additional 3 years . I did it at a cost of 900.00 dollars from my dealer at least I have that piece of mind .

Spyder Garage

Dealers use the parts availability excuse when they need one for working on someone else's bike that is paying for the labor vs your warranty claim. In stock parts are 5 days worst case. I got an entire new engine assembly delivered in 3 days. Was in stock in GA and I am in Tx. In stock parts can also be sent next day air if you pay the freight.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Sadly, I just took my 2017 F3-S into the dealer this morning with the same issue.

Luckily, I found out it can "limp" along a pretty good pace still. RPMs were limited to 6K, but that didn't cause much of an issue.
    2017 F3 , Blue

Spyder Garage

My dealer looked at my Spyder on Tuesday (I had an appointment for Wednesday, but I had dropped it off early). They called me Wednesday to say that indeed the Camshaft Position Sensor bad and they had ordered the part the day before and hoped to have it in hand Thursday or Friday.
    2017 F3 , Blue

Spyder Garage

2 weeks now still no part.

Spyder Garage

2 weeks now still no part.
    Hey JDTOLLAND.

We are very sorry to hear this.

Could you kindly send us an email to brp.care@brp.com or, you can call us directly at 1-888-272-9222 and we will be happy to take a look at your case to see if there is anything we can do to assist.

Please be sure to provide us with your unit's VIN as well as, be sure to mention the name of this forum and your username so we can verify you in our system.

Again, we apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you and we hope to get you back out on the road in no time.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards,

David-BRPcare
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Glad to see that @BRPCare is going to look into this for you! Definitely some questionable dealer stuff going on there.
    2017 F3 , Blue

Spyder Garage

So I’m Riding my F3 under normal leisure speeds and I get the limp mode light . It drives normal so I get it home I hold down the mode set button at the same time as I hold down the blinker button and up pops the code . It’s a cam position sensor code . I do a little research and I figure out that it’s a commen problem . I call the dealer tell him what it is and he says This is the first time im hearing about a this being a common problem . He states that he has to order the part and this might delay my service for the 9100 hundred miles which is two weeks away . So I’m thinking does it take two weeks to get a part from Brp. Second how many times am I going to hear from his is the first time hearing of these issues . Do dealers not use google . I’m really starting to think I have complete amateurs working on my F3T which I added all the parts to make it a limited . My issue is in the state of Ct there are 4 dealers and most of them sell very few of these units so there not working on many of them . It’s disappointing that Brp for what they’re charging does not have more service centers in this state . IMHO these dealers added can am to boost sales and though of the service as an aftermath . I base this on discussions with the 4 of them when asking to add the pack case, everyone said never did one so I’ll see if we can figure out . Same thing with the new peg boards .the sway bar and the vibration dampener . Overall I love the machine but I can’t rely on service

Sorry to hear about your problem, but my question is your reference to your 9100 mile Service??? The manual states that your first service is at 3,000 Miles and then every 9,300 after that. ( First =3000, then Second = 12,300, then Third = 21,600 or at least yearly).

Cruzr Jo
    e
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

So I got the spyder back today from the dealer. He said the cam shaft position sensor did get oil on it and that’s why it failed . It’s riding great however since it’s the same identical sensor they replaced it with I get bet on it happening again .

Spyder Garage

As far as the service interval your correct Joe it’s 9300 hundred miles . Thanks for pointing that out I don’t want to confuse anyone . Total cost if anyone wants to compare was $315.00 He did not charge me the 50.00 deductible for the sensor replacement under warranty .

Spyder Garage

Default I have the same bike with the same issue

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderChris View Post
    Sadly, I just took my 2017 F3-S into the dealer this morning with the same issue.

Luckily, I found out it can "limp" along a pretty good pace still. RPMs were limited to 6K, but that didn't cause much of an issue.
    Yea I have the same bike with the same issue I was told the part is on back order till September

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Re read post #10 above.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L