Spyder Garage

Default F3-L......Uncommon Footboard Problem

Hi Boys and Girls,

I have an issue with collecting the passenger boards with my ankle when mounting/dismounting.
    It has only started happening since I got my new, long boards from a supplier “just north of the USA”. Because they come back so far, whenever I swing my leg over to mount the F3, because my legs are so long and on the end of them are size 15s, I invariably collect my ankle on the rear passenger boards. Swinging up the rear boards would fix this problem easily, but the rear boards will not stay up. Over a minute or two, they gradually descend flat again. This has me puzzled, as I don’t see the engineering theory behind allowing the boards to swing vertically if they don’t stay there.

Does anyone else experience this, or am I on my own? If others have experienced this and have engineered a solution, would you be willing to divulge it?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

You can just remove them. You need a torch to apply heat to the bolts or they will strip out. Lamonster has a video on how to remove them to put his brand rear peg or floorboard.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I use the passenger board to mount. But then, I'm only 5' - 10" and size 10 shoe. It might be worth a try.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I use the passenger board to mount. But then, I'm only 5' - 10" and size 10 shoe. It might be worth a try.
    Peteoz Is a giant of a man. He does not need a mounting peg.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

If you do ryde 2 up with your wife, you can switch to a peg instead of a board. You can also try different mounting habits. Those long boards you have are made to mount from. You are probablly trying to mount from the ground and they get in the way so you move further back and then have to deal with the passenger board. I took mine off for a while and just recently replaced them with Lamonsters black dymond gripper passenger boards.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    If you do ryde 2 up with your wife, you can switch to a peg instead of a board. You can also try different mounting habits. Those long boards you have are made to mount from. You are probablly trying to mount from the ground and they get in the way so you move further back and then have to deal with the passenger board. I took mine off for a while and just recently replaced them with Lamonsters black dymond gripper passenger boards.
    Thanks AY, you are spot on......that is exactly what I am doing. I do have the rear boards off at the moment, but it’s a pain to put them on when The Chosen One wants to go for a ride. In what way are Lamonts black gripper boards different to the stock ones?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have a friend who’s dog rides in a carrier on her F3Ltd, it couldn’t jump up on its own because the passenger floorboards got in the way so she swapped the boards for pegs and the problem was solved.

Another option is installing the 3rd Peg to use for mounting/dismounting. That’s what I have and it works great.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    You can just remove them. You need a torch to apply heat to the bolts or they will strip out. Lamonster has a video on how to remove them to put his brand rear peg or floorboard.
    I didn’t use heat when I removed the boards and they came out fairly easily, AY. I didn’t even know they could strip out. I guess the force (and luck) was with me that day
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    We have a friend who’s dog rides in a carrier on her F3Ltd, it couldn’t jump up on its own because the passenger floorboards got in the way so she swapped the boards for pegs and the problem was solved.

Another option is installing the 3rd Peg to use for mounting/dismounting. That’s what I have and it works great.

Thanks Ann. Unfortunately, the aftermarket boards use the “third peg” hole to fasten(They are very long). I don’t have to stand on anything other than the ground to swing my leg over the F3. It’s just that my ankle then contacts the rear board. The Chosen One will not allow me to replace her boards with pegs, so I’m either going to have to -
    Look at a different mounting procedure for myself.
    Find passenger boards that do actually stay vertical.
    Make some sort of clip that will hold the OEM boards vertical.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

That's one thing I don't like about the passenger boards on the F3 Limited. You can't tuck them in the up position on the F3, like I could do on my RTS.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Thanks AY, you are spot on......that is exactly what I am doing. I do have the rear boards off at the moment, but it’s a pain to put them on when The Chosen One wants to go for a ride. In what way are Lamonts black gripper boards different to the stock ones?

Pete
    Not much difference really, just the look. I got the front boards, brake pedal and Highway pegs and it made the rear board look bad till I changed it. They do have more tilt adjustment which is cool. None of them look good from the bottom. In a motorcycle, they make it look good to ride with them folded up.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Two tricks:
    1. A small flat spring washer, inserted between the bracket and the board to hold it up, or
    2. Enough nylon or Teflon washers to create enough friction to hold them up, at least long enough for you to mount up.
    Any Harley-Davidson shop can sell you the flat spring washer; they use it on kick start pedals.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Two tricks:
    1. A small flat spring washer, inserted between the bracket and the board to hold it up, or
    2. Enough nylon or Teflon washers to create enough friction to hold them up, at least long enough for you to mount up.
    Any Harley-Davidson shop can sell you the flat spring washer; they use it on kick start pedals.
    Thanks Joe, I’m also thinking about drilling a small hole and inserting a rubber plug that will stop the board from swivelling down......easy to pop out when the Chosen One wants to go for a ride.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.