Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Oil level check results confusing to me

OK, I'm just relaying info from my own personal experience here, so please accept it as that. However I do have a question or 2. First off, this is a 2014 RTL with 1330 engine.
    Last Saturday I had the dealer do an oil change including the HMC Oil Filter. I do not know exactly how much oil he refilled with, however I have no issues related to that service or Spyder performance since.

After reading a few latest posts here about checking the oil level in the 1330, yesterday I decided to follow the BRP procedure and see what I had.
    After taking a 15 mile ride (run to post office, avg 50 MPH) with outside temp around 67, I parked at home and left it running while I "unloaded myself" of jacket, helmet, billfold, etc.". As I was walking back to the Spyder I heard the fans running and they cut out just as I got there. All is well for an oil check (it's 1:30PM PST). I shut her down, lifted the seat, removed the dipstick, wiped it off, reinserted all the way, and removed to check oil level. I did this a number of times, and each time the oil level was at the very top of the "max" ball end of the plastic portion of the dipstick. No oil showed at all on the wire portion of the dipstick.
    From this I "expect" I am good to go on oil level.

I have always been curious about the comments about oil drainback, and checking within 2 minutes, and dipsticks showing low after sitting for a while, so I decided to do a check on mine. This is where I am confused about what I should see and did see.

I rechecked the oil level every few hours or so (including after waking up this AM around 6), following good practice of wiping off dipstick, reinstall, make sure I was reading correctly, etc., and in every check - including this AM - the level on the stick has not changed, even though obviously the engine and oil temp has changed
    Maybe I've been misreading the posts about this, but I expected to see it lower based on the sump draining and oil reservoir discussions

Can someone please help me understand what I obviously don't ?

Appreciate it

Consider this request closed.
    Last edited by teninospyder; 04-05-2019 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Can't get answer to question.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.