Spyder Garage

Default Extra drive belt storage

I’m leaving Nashville in early May for Alaska, with plans to ride Dalton and Top of the World gravel roads. I’ve added a missing belt guard, air bag protection, bump skid and using car tires. Just in case I’m packing an extra drive belt. Has anyone discovered a place other than the 4 luggage cases to carry this belt?
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Default Not really....

Whats your waist size...? could wrap it around like a belt.... Not many places other than storage compartmets to carry it. It is a rather sturty item could wrap it up and zip it to a grab bar or send it to yourself as you would not likely need it till you get there....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Just pop the seat & have a look to see if the space that was used for the battery in earlier models is still there?! If you open the LHS pannier & look in at the back of the space, the top front of Spyder space will have a battery sized 'box' impinging on the pannier storage space - you get at that void space by looking under the seat! There's likely a flap of the black placcy under-seat trim covering the top of the void, possibly even a wiring loom joiner or two in there taking up some of the space, but it's basically a 'battery sized void space' under the seat. This space is partially open to the under guard area above the back tire, so it can get dirty &/or wet if you are riding in those conditions, but once you've moved the wiring out of the way (just push it toward the front or back of the Spyder) it leaves about an 8"x4"x6-7" space that will hold a package or box about that size.... While the black placcy 'top' or cover for this hole isn't readily pushed open or shut, you could fairly easily score along the offside edge with a sharp knife to open up the cover, then fit a handle or knob on one side of the bit removed & a length of piano hinge or something to hinge the 'lid' on the cut side - and there you have it, a secure space to drop a tin or package into!

If you don't like the 'partially open to the under-guard tire space' bit, you can fairly easily find a cardboard box of the correct size or maybe even make a placcy box to drop into that hole. But once you've got access to the hole & protection from the elements & rubbish chucked around under the guard by the wheel sorted, you only hafta coil the spare belt up & wrap it in shrink wrap or even kitchen cling wrap before hiding it in that space. Now that I've mentioned 'hiding', it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see the advantage of having a fairly unobtrusive & relatively secure spot somewhere on your Spyder to hide a few important trinkets or papers - be careful about how you set up the 'lid' on this space & it can become an easily hidden custom made 'safe deposit box' under the seat... otherwise you can carry a spare belt in there.

Over to you
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-04-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Just pop the seat & have a look to see if the space that was used for the battery in earlier models is still there?! If you open the LHS pannier & look in at the back of the space, the top front of Spyder space will have a battery sized 'box' impinging on the pannier storage space - you get at that void space by looking under the seat! There's likely a flap of the black placcy under-seat trim covering the top of the void, possibly even a wiring loom joiner or two in there taking up some of the space, but it's basically a 'battery sized void space' under the seat. This space is partially open to the under guard area above the back tire, so it can get dirty &/or wet if you are riding in those conditions, but once you've moved the wiring out of the way (just push it toward the front or back of the Spyder) it leaves about an 8"x4"x6-7" space that will hold a package or box about that size.... While the black placcy 'top' or cover for this hole isn't readily pushed open or shut, you could fairly easily score along the offside edge with a sharp knife to open up the cover, then fit a handle or knob on one side of the bit removed & a length of piano hinge or something to hinge the 'lid' on the cut side - and there you have it, a secure space to drop a tin or package into!

If you don't like the 'partially open to the under-guard tire space' bit, you can fairly easily find a cardboard box of the correct size or maybe even make a placcy box to drop into that hole. But once you've got access to the hole & protection from the elements & rubbish chucked around under the guard by the wheel sorted, you only hafta coil the spare belt up & wrap it in shrink wrap or even kitchen cling wrap before hiding it in that space. Now that I've mentioned 'hiding', it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see the advantage of having a fairly unobtrusive & relatively secure spot somewhere on your Spyder to hide a few important trinkets or papers - be careful about how you set up the 'lid' on this space & it can become an easily hidden custom made 'safe deposit box' under the seat... otherwise you can carry a spare belt in there.

Over to you
    Very good suggestions, I now have a project for the weekend.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's great, haven't read any posts about Spyders to AK, look forward to your report.

Spyder Garage

I did carry a spare belt with when we went to Alaska, but I carried it in the trailer. They are very stiff and you have to be careful not to twist, or bend them too much as you can damage it. Never did need it, but also did not travel the haul road to Deadhouse. We took a chartered flight to there from Fairbanks and back via van. Was glad we did as that road would have beat our Spyder up.
    It has been done on a RS Spyder so I know it can be done.
    PS - bring extra gas as it's around 250 miles between gas stops.

Good luck and I am looking forward to your report!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

It's early May. Have you taken off yet? I hope you'll post about your trip.

Spyder Garage

I left Nashville on May 1 about 3pm, rode 200 miles to my sister’s in SE Missouri. My brother and I left in rain the morning of May 2 in Kingdom City, MO. Friday, May 3 we rode to Ida Grove, Iowa, Saturday, May 4 to Mobridge, SD with cool weather, Sunday, May 5 to Culbertson, ND also in cool weather, and Monday, May 6 to Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada. We took Tuesday, May 7 for a break for my brother to replace a set of glasses he had lost, and for an oil change for his Suzuki VStrom. We depart for Edmonton tomorrow with near freezing overnight temps to 60 at noon. My Spyder is running well, stopping for regular fuel about every 150 miles, averaging 40-42 mpg. I finally sorted out the cruise control and it works dependably. With the switch already on, I run up to the desired speed and reach over with my left hand and pull the control up and hold it there until the speed is locked in. I plan to carry a 2 1/2 gallon gasoline container from Edmonton

Spyder Garage

Keep posting with pictures. Sounds like a great adventure.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joerolwing View Post
    I’m leaving Nashville in early May for Alaska, with plans to ride Dalton and Top of the World gravel roads. I’ve added a missing belt guard, air bag protection, bump skid and using car tires. Just in case I’m packing an extra drive belt. Has anyone discovered a place other than the 4 luggage cases to carry this belt?
    Joe
    with the side panels off I was able to zip tie one along the frame rails on our Rs
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

May is still early in Alaska so cold weather is still ahead of you. But, if it was May or not at all I would bundle up and hit the road.