Spyder Garage

Default What makes modular helmets preferrable

I have been reading the recent posts about modular helmets and the preference by some members. I wear a full face and am not comfortable with a 3/4 while reading. I tried it once and felt like something was missing. I am in the market for a new helmet and wondered why a modular was so special. I can see stoppng and flipping it up in hot weather - but beyond that?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim

Spyder Garage

That's really the attraction. The ability to open up the face. To breathe, get fresh air, smoke, talk, what have you. It is simply the ability to lift the front chin bar up out of the way. I used a BRP modular for many years, the warmer it was the more I liked it. More for the ability to get fresh air and to breathe easier at slow speeds or stops without taking the helmet off. A matter of personal preference.

Spyder Garage

Usually a little heavier than full-face, all other things being equal, but easy to put on like a 3/4. I can even put it on while still wearing my glasses. I like that I can flip it up at stoplights to get a drink of water or just get some extra air.

Spyder Garage

Default choices, choices

Depends.... older generations started with no helmet then came to the Pot helmet on to the 3/4 helmet then the full face so they will tend to like the modular as it gives them the range they came to know along the way. I love them as you have the choice to have it open in traffic, slow ryding and warm days and then close it up for the secure feeling on the freeway at faster speeds and cooler weather. At first they were not great as a full face with the noise and stuff but now they have gotten so much better with dropdown sun visors and much quieter. Still it is a choice to what you feel most comfortable and safe waring....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I bought a Modular when I first got my 2018 RTLSE6 - that is just a couple of weeks back, I love the modular but find it heavy for me and went with a half helmet instead. To be honest, I prefer a modular to a full helmet any day of the week. As you have the choice to open the visor and chin at a stop or when you want to talk to someone but not remove your helmet etc..etc.

Just turned out that I have a preference for the open face helmet is all.
    2018 RT , PEARL WHITE/CHROME

Spyder Garage

I find my Nolan modular to be particularly advantageous during allergy season
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you wear glasses: modular helmets are "Da Bomb!!"
    (Try leaving your glasses on; while putting on a full-face helmet...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

For us claustrophobes, the Shark modular (evoline) is just brilliant. You can ride as a full face, but if an attack of the claustros hits you, the chinbar folds right back flush with the back of the helmet. I have a Shoei Neotec, but it is advised not to ride with it open at speed, so it defeats the purpose for me. Unfortunately, from the Series 3, Shark changed the shape, so their largest helmet no longer fits me comfortably. I now ride a Shoei J Cruise with the chin length visor.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If I'm not going into the gas station, like just flipping the helmet up and not having to take it off at a fuel stop. At stops for trains/lights, flipping up to cool off or talk to someone in a group without a communicator. Etc. and etc. I like the convenience of the modular design.

Spyder Garage

I agree with all the above. I have a Shoei flip. Love being able to flip up the chin bar. The prevailing belief is that they are not as safe as a one piece full face, but life is one big trade-off.

Spyder Garage

I would dearly love to have a modular helmet simply for the ability to flip up the front to take a drink on a hot summer day, but alas I have a long-oval head shape and there are no decent modular helmets out there that fit me. So watch out for helmet shape in your search. (I'm currently wearing my third Arai Signet helmet which fits perfectly but doesn't breathe as well as I would like.)

FWIW, I briefly wore a Shoei Neotec and was unpleasantly surprised at how front-heavy it felt as opposed to my Arai. All that pivoting mechanism and retractable sunshield comes at a price. But I suppose one would get used to that.

Spyder Garage

we use the modular System from GIVI (BRP ST1) since 10 years ..after some hours it fits perfect - so we ordered also the new modell for our Ryky.. we love it specially in the hot summer, so why should we Change ..(price is also OK)

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...em-Helmet-0011
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats