Spyder Garage

Default New rider checking oil.

Need a little help here, if you please.
    I bought my first EVER bike last August. 2013 RTS. (It was a bucket list thing!) Didn't have a MC endorsement, so I took a 3 day MC safety training course and learned alot and passed successfully. They wouldn't let me use the RT to take the course, I had to ride a supplied zuzuki 250. Learning how to ride on 2 wheels, shift with my left foot, and counter steer was a challenge! But I "got her done". Fortunately, my lovely bride had her MC endorsement (something about an old boy freind and a Harley) and would drive the RT to the local school parking lot so I could practice while waiting to take the course. Anyway, all is good now, I'm legal, and put 500 miles on the RT before I had to put it up for the winter. Instructor of the MC safety course told me the first 3000 miles were the most critical for beginners.
    I'm getting ready to take her out this spring, and want to check the oil. The salesman told me to start the RT, get it warmed up, shut it down, and check the oil while the fan was still running. Something about getting a more precise reading if the fan was running. Any truth to that? I can't find anything about having the fan running while checking the oil, in my owners manual. Thanks for any advice.
    Wife and I are going to the 3 wheeler rally in Deadwood SD in July. Might see some of you there!

Spyder Garage

Read the operator's guide for your Spyder thoroughly; it has a lot of information you need to understand how it works, particularly how to check the oil level and, much more important, how to avoid overfilling the engine. If there is no guide with the manual, go to this web site, drill down to the 2013 MY and download a copy of the guide. For oil checking begin on pg 127. Good luck. http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep. The key is that you get an accurate reading with the OIL at normal operating temperature, not just the COOLANT - which is where that whole fan thing came from. Misinterpretation on the salesman's part. So, best to just check it after you come back from a ride. The oil is up to operating temperature, and you'll know that the machine is ready for the next ride.

Edit: And be mindful of the o-ring. It will want to stick to the top of the tank as you unscrew the dipstick. Can get lost or end up in undesirable places. Just grab it and push it all the way back on the dipstick.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Related question...I've seen comments here about checking the oil level "2 minutes after" finishing a ryde.
    How much does 2 min vs say 5 min impact the reading? or 10 min?
    After a ryde, a bio-break usually takes precedence...for me and the dog
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The oil should be checked within 2 minutes of engine shutdown. I come in from a ride, park the bike, remove my helmet and gloves, grab a rag, shut off the bike and check the oil. If you let it sit longer the oil drains down into the trans and engine from the tank. It's a dry sump system.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Thanks Highwayman!
    I'll have to teach Janis how to check, since she got licensed last October...with great power comes great responsibility
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rugman1952 View Post
    I bought my first EVER bike last August. 2013 RTS. (It was a bucket list thing!) Didn't have a MC endorsement, so I took a 3 day MC safety training course and learned alot and passed successfully. They wouldn't let me use the RT to take the course, I had to ride a supplied zuzuki 250. Learning how to ride on 2 wheels, shift with my left foot, and counter steer was a challenge! But I "got her done". Fortunately, my lovely bride had her MC endorsement (something about an old boy freind and a Harley) and would drive the RT to the local school parking lot so I could practice while waiting to take the course. Anyway, all is good now, I'm legal, and put 500 miles on the RT before I had to put it up for the winter. Instructor of the MC safety course told me the first 3000 miles were the most critical for beginners.
    I'm getting ready to take her out this spring, and want to check the oil. The salesman told me to start the RT, get it warmed up, shut it down, and check the oil while the fan was still running. Something about getting a more precise reading if the fan was running. Any truth to that? I can't find anything about having the fan running while checking the oil, in my owners manual. Thanks for any advice.
    Wife and I are going to the 3 wheeler rally in Deadwood SD in July. Might see some of you there!
    First off - & …. I had to look up What type Spyder you are talking about, to make things easier - always state what Spyder you are talking/ asking about …. there are significant differences in what Correct advice you will get …… I see you have the V-twin, the EASIST way to know if your oil is at the correct Temp is to check it - AFTER you go riding and stop for the day ….. If you check it then and don't ride for a few days or weeks …… The level it WAS - is going to be the SAME - period...… I am 72 and don't have a lot of time to WASTE with the lengthy warm -up procedure ….. which can be totally avoided using the method I use …. good luck ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rugman1952 View Post
    I would ask the salesman what he meant, He"s pulling your leg. just follow your manual.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

You just have to get in the habit of doing it the same way each time. They recommend running temp as engines always stop in different positions. Gears, cams, etc alowing oil to drain faster or slower all or most so that drained level will vary a lot. Best after a ryde or at the station filling up...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

What many do is not read the owners manual or the "Do's and Dont's for New Spyder Owners" sticky at the top of the page. You should read both
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue