Thread: Rust stains

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rust stains

A leaky sprinkler head dripped all over the front end of my spyder leaving rust stains on the trunk, windshield and cougar head. Anyone have a good idea of how to get them off? The painted areas I can probably use a clay bar but the matte black parts I don't know. I'm a little hesitant because I don't know if various chemicals will eat up the black plastic or windshield. I'm going to approach the building management about this. For one sprinkler heads should never leak and two they hurt my spyder!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Picture of the damage

Here is the pic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Try "Mother's" Back-to-Black on the plastic. Then "Meguiar's" PlastX should clear up the windscreen. The Meguiar's worked well on a Buell transparent airbox cover that a technician screwed up with some sort of solvent. The Back-to-Black seems to restore just about anything on black plastic. Just try it in a small area first. Just my two cents worth . . . . .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks I'll look into I printed the pictures so I can give them to the building manager.

Spyder Garage

First, have you tried water? The chemicals dried on your Spyder were suspended in an H2O solution prior to drying. Usually the chemicals left behind are ferric (rust) or hard water type chemicals (mostly carbonates). A household vinegar solution should remove anything that water alone doesn't. Looks like a good case for buying a cover.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    First, have you tried water? The chemicals dried on your Spyder were suspended in an H2O solution prior to drying. Usually the chemicals left behind are ferric (rust) or hard water type chemicals (mostly carbonates). A household vinegar solution should remove anything that water alone doesn't. Looks like a good case for buying a cover.

-Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post

-Scotty
    +2. It doesn't look like permanent damage, and a Spydie cover will prevent any further recurrences.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

I bought a QuadBoss waterproof XXL ATV cover with an elastic edge....works GREAT. It has an attached bag so you just stuff it in the bag and cinch it up. Of course, if they don't solve the rusty water problem, any cover will look like crap soon enough
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

..I help a friend in a "One Man Body Shop"... he has a broken leg, so I'm his official "go-fer" and "Crawl under here and remove this screw" I asked him about your situation. Here is his recomendations:

• Regular car wax/polish/cleaner will not work
    • DO NOT use any compound on the bike!! This will cause a LOT of scratches in the finish as it is far to abrasive .. might remove the stain, but you will not like what is left.
    • What to use.... Synthetic Cutting Creme... this is a compound just for Clear Coats and works great on fiber glass, metal, etc. You should be able to get some at your local auto supply house --- or maybe a visit to your local body shop the folks will give you some. I know if you were here, you would be given some..
    Hope this helps..

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Am I missing something?????

My Spyder get lots of stuff on it. Sap, oil(s), tar, bugs, paint, insecticides, berries, plaster, cement, catsup, mustard, and the list goes on and on. Everything just washes off. Even when it has been baked under the New Mexico sun.

I agree with sabunim5, NancysToy, and Director - soak and wash with warm sudsy water, a microfiber(non-scratching) cloth, rinse and repeat if necessary. The vinegar addition is a good way to remove any calcium deposits and stubborn water spots. Do not use any abrasives, volatile chemicals, any caustic cleaners, and I avoid using anything with ammonia in it. Also do not use a lot of elbow grease, pressure or stiff bristle brushes on it.

I have been using Armor All's Ultra Shine Detailer for the last month or so and it works like a charm. The paint shines, the mat plastics look like they are brand new and not glossy or oily and it even works on my windshield and mirrors. Everybody has their favorite detailer, this is mine and it seems to make keeping the Spyder clean an easy task.

Sorry this happened to you, but it does not sound serious and should be easy to clean up. As Douglas Adams would say; "Don't Panic"

Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post

Sorry this happened to you, but it does not sound serious and should be easy to clean up. As Douglas Adams would say; "Don't Panic"

Tom
    A very appropriate literary quote, Tom! Arthur Dent would agree with you.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Spyder Garage

What about that Magic Eraser? It works on everything else!

Spyder Garage

Question Well, how did it turn out???????

Did you have any problems cleaning your Spyder?

Let us know how it turned out.

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm still waiting for a response back from the property managment so I have not touched it.

I do appricate the input and concern from everyone. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Chas