Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Rally - who's taken it off the pavement ? What was it like ?

How many of you fellow Ryker owners have taken the bike off the paved roads, and what was your experience like ? I've recently added a Ryker Rally to my garage, and haven't taken it off the pavement yet. I'm really curious on what's possible with this bike, as I'm a former dual sport rider (2012 WR250R) who loves the dirt too. While I don't expect to be carving up single track with the bike, I'm really curious on just where the limits are. Dreaming of a day I can ride part of the TAT on this magnificent piece of machinery...
    2014 ST SE-5 , Yellow

Spyder Garage

I have had my Rally off-road riding 2-up several times in a pasture and have had a blast. Watch out for tall stalks and rocks and you should be ok. I plan to do more of it when the weather warms up.
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Rkent, sent you a message.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rkent View Post
    How many of you fellow Ryker owners have taken the bike off the paved roads, and what was your experience like ?
    I've ridden mine on a non-paved (gravel) road for about a mile or so. Filled with pot holes, so I get to swerve and dodge them. Ryker on gravel swings out a lot more, even on ECO, but never loses total control. Although I haven't tried Rally mode yet.
    2019 Can-Am Ryker 900 RE
    2019 900 Rally Edition , Black w/Yellow Panels

Spyder Garage

Everyone seems afraid to say it so I will .. your only restriction is ground clearance, otherwise the Rally will go where ever you want to go. I bought mine strictly for dirt roads. The only time mine sees pavement is going to or looking for a dirt road! I'm talking gravel, loose dirt, deep sand, potholes, rutted up after a rain and water crossings. Last trip out started with some sand. The sand kept getting deeper until she just about stopped. Kept giving it gas but it wouldn't take it, thought it was running out of gas. Finally realized it was the nanny shutting me down from the wheel spinning (was still in ECO mode). Put it in Sport and still couldn't get out, just delayed the nanny. Finally put it in Rally and it slowly built up speed and got out. Next come up to a water crossing about 15 feet across. Didn't really want to go back through the sand so I tried it. No problem, just a few inches deep and a hard bottom. Next was a larger water crossing, again didn't want to go back to the sand and I made it through the last one so I went into it. About half way I dropped down about a foot. Didn't want to get stuck so I gassed it. Threw up a good rooster tail but went through it no problem. Next was the biggest obstacle. Something had made ruts about 12 to 14 inches deep. Total road was tore up bad so I straddled a rut between the right front and rear and rode with the rear tire right on the edge of the "trench". Front tire rode down into the rut a little occasionally but climbed right back out. Rode at a walking pace for about 50 yards. Got through ok but finally come up to a muddy, rutted up section that I could just not find a way through (maybe possible but I was out in the middle of nowhere by myself). Had to turn around and go back through everything. Made it ok, only this time when I come up to the sand I was still in Rally mode and it just sailed through it at about 16 to 18 mph just skating a little and absolutely no problem. When I got back to the pavement I had to take a break. Truck driving by stopped and asked if I was OK. Said he saw the mud on my back (from the water crossing) and all the mud/dirt on the bike and thought I had had a wreck. Told him no, just having fun. As I've said in other posts, this is what the Rally was made for! Get out on those dirt roads and have some fun. Do some exploring.

Spyder Garage

Strap on a GoPro and take some vids please!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Have a camera but no helmet mount. Will take some videos with it mounted on the handlebar but not sure things will show up well enough. May have to wait till brother-in-law brings his down and we mount it on his and he can follow taking videos.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a great day of ridding.