Spyder Garage

Default How many "Bar marks" are on your heat gauge when warm?

Mine goes goes up to 4 bar marks & the fan kicks in quite often when I'm stopped at a light. Several vehicle but I thought it was at 2-3 bar marks normally last year. I was in the low 60's degrees temp today thus I'm concerned about the 80 plus temp days ahead hiss Summer. I added approx 10 oz of water although it's difficult to read the cold & hot lines on the radiator reservoir. The coolant looks like plain water to me--past experience --it had a green color. 50% anti freeze cools better than water.
    so how many marker bars show on your heat gauge when the F3 engine is warm??
    Darrell

Should be only 1 gauge in the title but titles can't be edited--I guess
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-02-2021 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Fixed title - they CAN be edited, but you hafta Go Advanced. ;-)
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

I know you specifically asked about F3, but I am seeing a consistent 4 bars on my ST-S once warmed up, regardless of outside temps.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

My F3 stays at 4 bars once warmed up and I’ve never seen it fluctuate from 4.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

I'd have to agree with other responders... after two summers of riding in Canada, and two winters of riding in Florida (pretty much meaning that my 2017 F3L is ridden year-round), my heat gauge usually registers 4 bars fairly steadily once I'm warmed up and rolling. It doesn't seem to matter much whether the air temperature is 60F or 90F, nor whether it's daytime or night. Can't recall ever seeing it go higher; and if it's showing less than 4, it's usually only at the beginning of my ride, not fully warmed up. I think I'd only begin to worry if it wasn't showing 4 bars. And, yes, the auxilliary cooling fans come on when I slow up or sit at a stop waiting for traffic lights, etc., before moving again.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I'd have to agree with other responders... after two summers of riding in Canada, and two winters of riding in Florida (pretty much meaning that my 2017 F3L is ridden year-round), my heat gauge usually registers 4 bars fairly steadily once I'm warmed up and rolling. It doesn't seem to matter much whether the air temperature is 60F or 90F, nor whether it's daytime or night. Can't recall ever seeing it go higher; and if it's showing less than 4, it's usually only at the beginning of my ride, not fully warmed up. I think I'd only begin to worry if it wasn't showing 4 bars. And, yes, the auxilliary cooling fans come on when I slow up or sit at a stop waiting for traffic lights, etc., before moving again.
    OK--Thanks--I'm happy now==been parked all Winter--I must have been thinking about a different vehicle. Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Mine goes goes up to 4 bar marks & the fan kicks in quite often when I'm stopped at a light. so how many marker bars show on your heat gauge when the F3 engine is warm??
    Darrell
    When warmed up mine is at 4 bars and never deviates from it. What is odd is your statement in bold above. Mine rarely comes on and it must be an extended drive thru town or repeated stop and go before I ever hear it.... Are you on the Stage 2? I hear that the fan activation has been lowered in that which would make them come on sooner and more often...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

On my 2017 F3 Limited I think its either 3 or 4 bars and never changes and I very rarely hear the fans turn on except when stopped in traffic.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

On my 2017 F3-S, the temp bars reach 4 and stay there regardless of outside temperature and how long I ride. The fans will turn on occasionally on hot days, but I have never seen more than 4 bars.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Same here, 3 to 4 bars. Never higher.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    Same here, 3 to 4 bars. Never higher.
    Ditto here. Fan rarely comes on (usually when I am parked for a few).

I rode with a friend on a 900CC Ryker, and his fan came on often and LOUD.

Spyder Garage

FYI: Coolant level is easy to read if you remove the top, right side tupperware. It's just 4 Torx and 3 push pins. (takes about 2 mins)
    2015 F3 (wife's)
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2019 AMG C43 cabrio
    1966 LS1 Corvette restomod
    1956 Corvette survivor (wife's)
    1941 Chevy hotrod truck
    2023 Corvette Z06

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I added approx 10 oz of water although it's difficult to read the cold & hot lines on the radiator reservoir. The coolant looks like plain water to me--past experience --it had a green color.
    If you really added just water to the rez tank, your way off the 50/50 mix. your going to run hot now this Summer.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Confirmed over the last few weeks.................4 bars at any current temp outside. (60s to low 70s)
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

On removing the side panels. Take the pins out first. Drop a Philips screwdriver in the center hole. Remove the 4 screws. Pull the screwdriver and the panel.

Install is the reverse. Set the panel in place and drop in a screwdriver. Put ALL 4 of the screws in but don't tighten any of them 'til you have all four started. Pull the driver and insert pins then tighten the screws.

Much easier on the off/on routine.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Good morning. I'm a little confused. I have seen similar posts to this one talking about 3 and 4 bars on the coolant temperature gauge. My 2018 F3T only has 3 "bars" total. That 4th bar is what I don't understand. My F3T is the only Spyder I have owned. Are there different gauges for different models?

Thanks. Just trying to understand.
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw58 View Post
    Good morning. I'm a little confused. I have seen similar posts to this one talking about 3 and 4 bars on the coolant temperature gauge. My 2018 F3T only has 3 "bars" total. That 4th bar is what I don't understand. My F3T is the only Spyder I have owned. Are there different gauges for different models?

Thanks. Just trying to understand.
    Bill
    It's pretty simple really, your 2018 Spyder is young enough to have scored the later/newer dash units; but up until they came out late 2017-ish (IIRC??) many Spyders had different dash units with actual needles on their tachos & speedos as well as inbuilt temp gauges that had more than just 3 bars!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It's pretty simple really, your 2018 Spyder is young enough to have scored the later/newer dash units; but up until they came out late 2017-ish (IIRC??) many Spyders had different dash units with actual needles on their tachos & speedos as well as inbuilt temp gauges that had more than just 3 bars!
    Thanks Peter.