Thread: Licensed!

Spyder Garage

Default Licensed!

Just back from two days of training and testing to qualify for my 3-wheel motorcycle license in Washington State.

During the training had a chance to ride 4 different versions of Can ams.

Decided I really like the F3 and the Ryker. Fun machines with great handling and power.

I did observe that the power comes on a little delayed on the Ryker. Must be the CV clutch, it seems a lot like the way power come on on my Artic Cat ATV. It has great engine braking and brakes that will pull your teeth out! The power delay was easy to get use to.

The F3 is a much more sophisticated ride; but, still a blast to ride. No power delay, just a lot less engine braking when you back off the throttle. Bigger, heavier and a little more comfortable. I just wish it had a shaft drive!

Now I must decide if I want a smaller dedicated canyon carver or a larger, more dual purpose, machine?

One of them is in my future!

Spyder Garage

Choose wisely....

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default congratulations....🎉🎉🎉

Shopping is sooo much fun.... Glad you got to test them all out and have some better idea of what you would like. Never exactly what you want but there are alot of products out there to get you there....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

A 3 wheeled motorcycle license? Interesting.
    In Nevada, all you need is a regular motor vehicle license, like for a car, and no helmet is required either.
    2018 RT Limited White/Chrome.
    BlueSeaSky front & rear dash cam.
    USB plugs
    TechMount cellphone holder
    Squared Away laser alignment.
    BajaRon anti-sway bar and links.
    Dynojet
    Ceramic coated cat delete pipe

Spyder Garage

Two weeks after completing the training last May, I had my new 2017 F3T. One of the best purchases I have ever made!

Regards,

Don
    F3T Spyder 07202018.jpg
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSpyder View Post
    In Nevada, all you need is a regular motor vehicle license, like for a car, and no helmet is required either.
    In addition to the regular motor vehicle license, Washington State requires separate endorsements for 2 wheel and 3 wheel, and helmets for both.

Regards,

Don
    PBD
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

we have a class M (2 wheel) endorsement. Motorcycles require a helmet, but not 3 wheels.
    That being said I ALWAYS wear a helmet.
    2018 RT Limited White/Chrome.
    BlueSeaSky front & rear dash cam.
    USB plugs
    TechMount cellphone holder
    Squared Away laser alignment.
    BajaRon anti-sway bar and links.
    Dynojet
    Ceramic coated cat delete pipe

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have a class M License endorsement (you can drive 2 wheel and 3 wheel motorcycle) we also have a class M9 License endorsement (good for 3 wheel only not 2 wheel motorcycle). Both require you to wear a helmet for the first two years.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spokane2303 View Post
    Just back from two days of training and testing to qualify for my 3-wheel motorcycle license in Washington State.

Decided I really like the F3 and the Ryker. Fun machines with great handling and power.

I did observe that the power comes on a little delayed on the Ryker. Must be the CV clutch, it seems a lot like the way power come on on my Artic Cat ATV. It has great engine braking and brakes that will pull your teeth out! The power delay was easy to get use to.

The F3 is a much more sophisticated ride; but, still a blast to ride. No power delay, just a lot less engine braking when you back off the throttle. Bigger, heavier and a little more comfortable. I just wish it had a shaft drive!

Now I must decide if I want a smaller dedicated canyon carver or a larger, more dual purpose, machine?

One of them is in my future!
    On the license, Let the fun begin!! Happy Shopping make sure and let us know and post in the garage what you get (one of each).
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I live in Mississippi. We are so backward, all we get is big M on the drivers license

Spyder Garage

When I lived in Washington there were 3 levels of MC licenses. M1, M2, & M3. They were given to riders who could pass the riding test based upon the CC size of the MC that the riding test was sucessufully completed. Nothing for 3 wheels at that time. I had a M3 (unlimited CC) indorsement and kept that when I changed to Arizona. I still keep an Arizona MC indorsement but never even thought that I might need to have anything additional for a Spyder. Maybe I should look into it..... or just keep my mouth shut and ride..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spokane2303 View Post

Where did you do your classes?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I did my classes in Auburn, WA. Closest training location to Vancouver, WA.

If you go to Can am's web site, they have a $99 learn to ride deal and you will find they have a training school locally in North Spokane!

It was totally worth the $99 for two days of class and driving time training.

They even taught us how to drift a Can am to lower the inside tire and straighten out a turn.

That lesson was FUN!

Quick stops with the anti-locks was also a blast.

I've ridden motorcycles for 50+ years and have taken basic and advanced rider safety courses. Three wheelers are a different animal vs a two wheeler. One of my fellow classmates planted a sidecar into a Jersey barrier on his first run by not paying attention to the width. Gives you a lot to think about and consider!

Spyder Garage

Curious how you liked the class actually. My wife finally signed up and takes in in May... Available at our dealer for $99 so I kinda twisted her arm. She's excited...she wants a Ryker...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSpyder View Post
    I have a question about that. I too live in Nevada and will be picking up my Spyder later today I know we aren't required to have a motorcycle license in Nevada, but what about when we cross state lines? Are we still fine? BRP mentioned that I might not be...
    2016 F3T-SE6 , Red

Spyder Garage

The classroom time is focused on safety and the unique differences between 2 and 3 wheelers.

Since I'm still riding 2 wheels, I found the safety portion a good refresher.

The riding time both days was fun! Started slow, with us pushing each other to just get use to the brakes. Then we started to ride and progressed fairly quickly.

Day 2 was more operation and safety information followed by the State Written License Test. The afternoon of day two was more advanced riding skills and practice. After completed, we then took the State Riding Exam. During this you have to demonstrate multiple driving skills to pass.

For the cost, $99, an excellent use of your time and money!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by summertime View Post
    I have a question about that. I too live in Nevada and will be picking up my Spyder later today I know we aren't required to have a motorcycle license in Nevada, but what about when we cross state lines? Are we still fine? BRP mentioned that I might not be...
    If you are legally licensed in your state of residence, you can operate that type of vehicle in any other state. Most states give you a time frame to get a license from that state AFTER becoming a legal resident.

When we moved to Arizona, I believe it was ten days after becoming a resident, that we had to get AZ drivers licenses. Some states will allow ninety days, during which time, your license is still legally valid.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.