Spyder Garage

Default Sport grips DIY install?

Hey all,

Picked up some of the sport grips for the wifes Ryker, and wondering if any of you have tried installing these yourselves. BRP instructions say to blow air into the grip to get the stock ones off and repeat to get the new ones on. Having worked with several grips over the years, this seems like a very tall order, as most of the time, these things are reeaaaaally stuck on there.

Thanks for any info!
    2017 F3-T SM6 (his)| BajaRon Sway Bar, Lamonster Bright Ryder
    2019 Ryker 900 (hers) | Sport Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Rear Spoiler, Wheel Inserts/Decals

Spyder Garage

I used a small diameter screw driver to get in between the stock grip and the handle bar and loosened them up first.
    Being careful not to scratch anything. Then pulled on them until they came off.
    A little harder than using an air compressor but can be done.
    2019 900 ACE , Black/White

Spyder Garage

Hand sanitizer helps them go back on
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Use a small screwdriver and work under ground. Lift gently and squirt alcohol down the inside of the grip. Twist and it slides right off.
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hi ref grips CUT them off , you won't use them again . Hardest is removing the mirrors mine were a pig regards Nico 75

Spyder Garage

When I replace the grips on my mountain bike I usually either cut them off or slide a small allen wrench between the grip and the handlebar to break the seal.

For installing grips I use my saliva. Coat the inside of the grip with some spit and slide them on. The saliva acts as a lubricant until it dries and then helps adhere the grip.

Spyder Garage

Well, I gave it a shot. Stock grips are easy enough to remove, and with a little alcohol, sport grips are easy to get on.

PSA: if you go buy Sport Grips, make sure to look that you have two different part numbers on the grips. BRP sent out a ton of pairs containing two throttle side grips. Of course I got one. Called the local dealers and ALL of the sport grips they have (red and black) all contain nothing but throttle grips. I put the stock grips back on while I wait for the dealer to get a left side grip in from BRP.
    2017 F3-T SM6 (his)| BajaRon Sway Bar, Lamonster Bright Ryder
    2019 Ryker 900 (hers) | Sport Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Rear Spoiler, Wheel Inserts/Decals

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know if you can use any of the universal 7/8" grips on the Ryker?

Spyder Garage

Yes. I have a pair of Spider Peak grips. I've used them on other bikes and liked them so I put a pair on my Rally right after I got it .
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Cut the old ones off and put the new ones on with hair spray. They will slide on with wet hair spray and lock down tight when it dries.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    Yes. I have a pair of Spider Peak grips. I've used them on other bikes and liked them so I put a pair on my Rally right after I got it .
    How do the Spider Grips hold up over time? My Ryker is 6 months old and the factory grips are already trashed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by raegan81 View Post
    How do the Spider Grips hold up over time? My Ryker is 6 months old and the factory grips are already trashed.
    I purchased some new iso grips on Ebay to put them on my Rally. I have a chrome pair on my Harley and love them. I figured the end cap would come off and I would have no problem getting them on, BUT it turns out that the grip end opening is very small and the handlebar won't be able to slide through so that I can get my guards back on. I don't really need the guards that come with the Rally BUT they look cool and I want to use them. I am thinking that I may have to drill out the end of the new grips so that I can get the handlebar through. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have any trouble with getting the mirrors back on, but the guards clamp onto the bare handlebar.

Spyder Garage

So far so good. I'm usually bouncing around on a dirt road so I am usually holding on a little tighter than riding on the street. Got them on Amazon. They come with the ends cut out.

Spyder Garage

If your looking for comfortable grips, sling mods has the foam grips that go over the existing grips, and they work great. Easier to grip, less fatigue, and stops most of the vibes. Can’t beat them for $12.95

Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried to use "universal" after market grips on a Rally? Apparently, they are longer and I am wondering if they will still fit inside the guards. The Ryker grips seem to be shorter, or am I mistaken?

Spyder Garage

My Spider Peak grips ARE universal aftermarket and fit perfect.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poli View Post
    My Spider Peak grips ARE universal aftermarket and fit perfect.
    But, do you have a Rally with the hand guards? You only have so much room between the handlebar clamps that hold the hand guard. Just wondering, as the handgrips look too long to fit inside the hand guard.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanWill View Post
    If your looking for comfortable grips, sling mods has the foam grips that go over the existing grips, and they work great. Easier to grip, less fatigue, and stops most of the vibes. Can’t beat them for $12.95
    Yeah, I got the foam slip on grips. Got about 5,000 miles on them and they are showing no wear at all. They are much more comfortable. The original grips are too small in diameter and make my hands tired. With the foam grips over the OEM grips the diameter is about right and feels more natural. Even if they wear out once a year, for the price it would be worth it.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Agreed, this is the second bike I’ve used these foam grips on and I’m still amazed how much better they work than the original grips. Now I just need the o-ring to hold the throttle open so I can stretch the hand occasionally and it will be perfect!

Spyder Garage

The original foam "Grip Puppies" are on both my bikes. Might be a buck or 2 more.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Quite an array of products mentioned for removal and installation. I have found over the years of changing grips on dirt, road, watercraft and atv's the best to remove is using a compressor and a rubber tipped air gun. Thing is not everyone has a compressor in their garage...Now if you use any kind of solvent to help with removal make sure you clean the surface real well before installing the new ones or they will spin....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black