Spyder Garage

Question Alternate set of gauges for 2018 RT SE6

I just bought my 2018 RT Limited with the SE6 trans. I also would prefer aexternal digital set of guages. I was wondering if there is such a thing or at least a compatible telematics device where I could tie in my tablet and manage all aspects of my ride.
    2018 RT , PEARL WHITE/CHROME

Spyder Garage

There are aftermarket gauges available that people use for retrofitting older bikes that show tach, speedo, fuel, temp, etc. These are pretty basic setups and rely on mostly analog connections as inputs.

Although I'm not certain, I think that the integration of the dash with the bikes electronics is critical and without the existing dash, the bike probably wouldnt even start.

Not sure what you want to "manage" with the bike. Are you thinking something like automotive odb2 and the apps that display data on cellphones? I think its enough to pay attention to the road and glance at the gauges every now and then to make sure all is normal.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Hi

I would not remove the dash , I would simply use a different source for the info, I was thinking a telematics device that is hooked into the odb port would report major events , hard braking , speeding, location pings when coupled with a tablet via a Bluetooth connection, it would allow for route management/ trip planning apps. The type of stuff you usually see in tractor trailers and most ups and FedEx vehicles. That way I can have complete history of everything I ever did on the vehicle including pre and post trip inspection reports.

Trip Data, fuel consumption reports and exact mileage per each trip.

The reason I am interested in this -- I help support a fleet of over 5500 Tractos and Large Cube vans for nation wide delivery with all the aspects of fleet management that go with it. I was hoping to use the same app as a test bed but on my CanAm instead of my car.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AAbruzzese View Post
    Hi

I would not remove the dash , I would simply use a different source for the info, I was thinking a telematics device that is hooked into the odb port would report major events , hard braking , speeding, location pings when coupled with a tablet via a Bluetooth connection, it would allow for route management/ trip planning apps. The type of stuff you usually see in tractor trailers and most ups and FedEx vehicles. That way I can have complete history of everything I ever did on the vehicle including pre and post trip inspection reports.

Trip Data, fuel consumption reports and exact mileage per each trip.

The reason I am interested in this -- I help support a fleet of over 5500 Tractos and Large Cube vans for nation wide delivery with all the aspects of fleet management that go with it. I was hoping to use the same app as a test bed but on my CanAm instead of my car.
    I think you are out of luck. First off there just aren't enough Spyders, let alone owners, out there in the world who are interested in recording all the data you want to do, to justify going to the expense of developing such a data capturing system. In fact in my five years on this forum you are the first one to even mention this idea. With the trucking industry there are hundreds of thousands of trucks that need the capture system so the need for a telematics program is a given. Not so for the Spyder. The diagnostic port on the the Spyder is not the same as on cars and trucks. I don't know if anyone has decoded the CANbus signal protocol so any program could even be developed to record such info.

The cynical response most of us here would be inclined to come back with is, "Why do you want all this data and what useful purpose would you derive from collecting it? Just ride your Spyder, enjoy the trip, and don't waste your time analyzing every move you make with it!" The predominant attitude here is don't worry about gas mileage even, just keep fuel in the tank, and have fun riding! And use the odometer reading to schedule maintenance!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Hi,

Thanks for the response, i would agree with you just that I am a data driven kind of guy. Been in IT since 1983 and i figure at this point in life ... might as well just enjoy stuff while waiting for the long goodnight.