Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Life. What should we expect?

This started in the modular thread then I realized I was off topic so now it’s here

The 5-7 year rule. I’m not sure where that comes from or how valid it is at this point. I’d assume that as helmet manufacturering technology has improved over the last decade as have materials that this “rule of thumb” that I’ve heard ever since I bought a helmet has to be better than this by now. On the flip side manufacturers have to sell helmets so it’s not in their best interest to make a helmet that’s good for 20 years. I honestly don’t know what to believe anymore.

I think UV exposure used to be a factor but if you only ride weekends 6-8 months a year does it reallly come into play?
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 04-03-2019 at 12:14 AM.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quite a number of helmet manufacturers now have a 5 year warranty, so should last beyond that period if carefully looked after.

Spyder Garage

It"s not so much the outer shell that is the reason for the 5 year rule, but the material inside the helmet. Due to the chemicals it comes in contact with. Oils, salts, and byproducts from the hair, and skin react with the material used in the helmet liner and over time make them less effective in protecting us.
    I try to replace every 5 years. Expensive - Yes, but cheaper and more fun then a hospital stay!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also hinges on whether they have taken any type of hit.

Spyder Garage

Its more the inner Styrofoam that were concerned about than the outer shell. Think of when you would buy a Styrofoam cooler for your beer, and how after a few years the foam is no longer soft and supple but instead it turns harder and more brittle. When the foam in the helmet starts to harden, its ability to absorb and dissipate the energy from an impact is reduced. Assuming our helmet is constructed in this manner. New technology uses what amounts to welded straws instead of Styrofoam as the crumple zone, so maybe this material will last longer. And yes, after an impact the helmet should either be inspected or discarded. I wrecked two helmets last year, the Styrofoam was crushed and cracked when inspected, these helmets are no good for use. The outer carbon fiber shell was only scratched.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    Its more the inner Styrofoam that were concerned about than the outer shell. Think of when you would buy a Styrofoam cooler for your beer, and how after a few years the foam is no longer soft and supple but instead it turns harder and more brittle. When the foam in the helmet starts to harden, its ability to absorb and dissipate the energy from an impact is reduced. Assuming our helmet is constructed in this manner. New technology uses what amounts to welded straws instead of Styrofoam as the crumple zone, so maybe this material will last longer. And yes, after an impact the helmet should either be inspected or discarded. I wrecked two helmets last year, the Styrofoam was crushed and cracked when inspected, these helmets are no good for use. The outer carbon fiber shell was only scratched.
    Can you just replace the inside when the time comes, do companies sell the stuff?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Can you just replace the inside when the time comes, do companies sell the stuff?
    The part that he is talking about is glued in. No manufacturer is going to sell the parts and expect the consumer to reinstall it properly. The liability would be huge.

I ride about 20K miles per year and typically wear a helmet out in 4 years. I take the liner out and wash it at least twice a riding season. You can replace the helmet liners but they will cost about 1/2 of a new helmet.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

My helmet last year saved my bacon too. It was retired after doing its job. With all the other things I pay for to be in the wind... the cost of a new helmet every 5 years I'll gladly pay. Plus,, as time goes by, they continue to find ways to improve our lids. I enjoy the flip down tinted shield in mine, eliminating my sunglasses on days with bright sunshine. That was a feature not available not too long ago.

Spyder Garage

Yes...a few good points here.

I have eight asst. Nolans on the shelf. Three have not even been worn in 10 years or so. NONE have been dropped or used for the intended purpose. The next time I move, I will cull them out and put them in the dumpster. I have two more going on eight and the rest are at five or less. Most recent are less than two years.

At this point, three are gone for sure. Don't know about the others. The term "sunk cost" does come up though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

The recommendations are for the whole helmet as you well know a bad/loose fitting helmet may be worse than no helmet at all. As the materials age and suffer the effects of weather, fluids, chemicals and wear and tear they may no longer have the protection they had in the begining. Most innards (not the base foam) are removable and washable but how many of us do that. Could prolong the tight fit. So pretty much worth the replacement and they always have some good upgrades...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I put on 5-8k miles/year and have found that at 4-5 years the lining is getting worn out (even with washing) and the linger points and strap are also showin* their age. Usually also ready for a change at 4-5 years.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Besides, buying a new helmet is fun!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

AK why not give them to your local MSF training program... I'm sure they can use them..
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    ...The next time I move, I will cull them out and put them in the dumpster...
    Before you chuck them check with local fire departments and EMS activities. Many are desirous of them for training.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Helmet life depends on a lot of variables. The 5 year replacement rule is enforced for sanctioned racing. But a well made helmet, properly maintained, will serve you quite well beyond 5 years. If you are wearing a cheap to mid-range quality helmet. Then 5 years (or less) may well be its reasonable service limit.

Well made helmets will have replaceable interiors. But the padding is for comfort and fit. Not so much for protection. It is, as has been mentioned, the Styrofoam shell that helps your head decelerate slowly enough to prevent injury. The hard outer shell protects from penetrating objects and helps the helmet to slide when contacting any surface.

There used to be good reason to replace a helmet because of the advances made in protecting the head. But in the last 10 years, technology, design and materials have hit a bit of a wall in this respect. We have not seen the same kind of significant improvements to head protection that had been more typical in previous years. Even Snell has made virtually no changes in their testing process since the 2005 standard.

Instead, helmet manufactures have been concentrating on maintaining the same high level of protection while making detail changes like lighter helmets, larger eye openings, places to mount speakers, etc.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Check out the new Koroyd technology that uses welded straws to replace the old Styrofoam. Combined with MIPS rotational features then for sure we have advances worth our attention. I believe this is good enough to warrant replacement. Google ""Koroyd" and then Google "MIPS helmet".

blog_main_image_1024x650_new_materials.jpg Strain_Clean.jpg

Spyder Garage

Check out the new Koroyd technology that uses welded straws to replace the old Styrofoam. Combined with MIPS rotational features then for sure we have advances worth our attention. I believe this is good enough to warrant replacement. Google ""Koroyd" and then Google "MIPS helmet".

blog_main_image_1024x650_new_materials.jpg Strain_Clean.jpg
    Well they have to do something with all those outlawed straws in many states, why not put them in our Helmets?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing about the Koroyd concept -- hopefully it will spread to many more mainstream manufacturers so that by the time for my next helmet purchase it will be a feature in more than one line.
    Regards,

Bret

2017 RT-S Orbital Blue
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    SpyderPops LED Bumpskid, Spyclops II LED, Full View Turn Signals & Belt Guard
    Sena 20S Bluetooth Headsets
    Brake Free Helmet Light
    FOBO Bike for Trike
    Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus Jump Starter/Air Compressor
    Lamonster RAM mount/Techmount TechGripper
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    UltraGard Half Cover
    2017 RT-S , Orbital Blue