Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default No Start Up Screen, Starter Does Not Engage

My 2012 RT Limited SE5 had been dealing with a failing battery. Placed it on a battery tender which helped and occasionally have had to jump start it. After not starting for a few weeks while on the battery tender, I put the key in, turned it to ON, the gauges swing around and then it bypasses the Startup Menu (where it says to press the Mode button to confirm reading the Safety Card). I press the Mode button anyway and then press the Start Button, nothing happens. Not even a click. Purchased and installed a new battery and it still bypasses the Startup Menu and will not start. I held down the Mode, Set, and Turn Signal button, no codes are displayed. Checked the Kill switch. Checked the fuses. Ideas? Thanks!

Spyder Garage

maybe still in 1st gear? press brake to make sure not in gear. will NOT start if in gear , safety
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Whenever the battery is disconnected and reconnected the first time. There will not be a message to press the mode button or a need to do so. That's normal.

Go back to the basics. Seat yourself on the Spyder. Turn on the key. Press mode button when told to do so. Press down on the brake pedal. Look for the brake lights to come on. Make sure the kill switch is in the run position. Press the start button.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Deleted......

2022 Spyder RT Limited Sea to Sky Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

It may well be a dead battery.

However, I would still try the basic steps outlined by billybovine just to be sure. If you get a new battery, don't scrimp. You don't need the best battery in the world. But don't go cheap. Spyders are very sensitive to battery condition.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

The new battery... where did you get it..? what brand/kind is it..? was it dry and then filled before they gave it to you..? if so was it put on a charger (not a tender)..? just trying to see if the new battery is fully charged...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The bike is in Reverse (semi automatic) and I think will stay that way until it starts then the computer will shift it into Neutral.

I seated myself on it, turned key to On, was not told to press the Mode button. It goes directly to the main screen (see attached picture). Pressed the Mode button anyway. Pressed down on the brake pedal and brake lights came on. Kill switch is in the run position. When I press the Start button, not even a click.

The new battery came from Batteries Plus. Yuasa XTAX24HL-BS, I think it was prefilled (isn't that what the BS means?), but there is a box inside the main box that says Battery Fluid, Acid. I fully charged it on a charger. Didn't get it from the dealer because I will be trading in later this year for a 2019 Spyder.

All the other electronics seem to be working (radio, turn signals, fog lights, position lights). The headlights do not come on. The park light indicator is blinking and the oil light is solid. Still no error codes. Front lights go out when key is removed, but Backup Lights stay on for a couple of seconds.

0404190806_Burst01[1].jpg

Thanks for the help!

Spyder Garage

Very good description of what is happening. From your description, the no start problem has nothing to do with your battery. That is because everything powers up as it should, but absolutely nothing happens when you push the start button.

Since you do not have to push the mode button when the key is turned on, it has been off for more then 5 minutes and the battery has not been disconnected. May point to a pre start relay or fuse. I will take a look at the wiring diagram for a possible cause that matches your symtoms.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Turn on the ignition key.
    Do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds?
    If yes. Ignore the rest of the message.

If no. Watch the display for about a minute.
    Do you see a message appear for only a couple seconds saying "BAD KEY".

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

When I turn the key to On, there is a high pitched whine for a few seconds before the screen comes on. I think that is the fuel pump.

There is no message about a bad key and I have tried both of my keys.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

did you put the acid in then charge

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    did you put the acid in then charge
    I was about to ask the same thing. Diana, the -BS means that it is NOT pre-filled. That's why the question.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

The store must have put the acid in. Thanks for the info on the BS designation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DianaDavis View Post
    When I turn the key to On, there is a high pitched whine for a few seconds before the screen comes on. I think that is the fuel pump.

There is no message about a bad key and I have tried both of my keys.
    So that means the ecm is happy with all the safety inputs and is ready to go.

My best guess then is the actual start button has gone bad. But they usually start working intermittently first. The other possible cause is the pre start relay is loose or bad. It is in position R2 in the fuse box. Pull it out and reseat it back in and or switch it with another one of the other ones. See item 2 in the attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If the battery is bad or there is a bad connection to it or ground. Everything will light up fine but when the start button is pressed. There will be a click and the starter will try to engage. The voltage drops below 10V. The gauge cluster will go blank. The starter will disengage. Voltage will go back and gauge cluster will reboot. There is no description of that. Pressing the start button does absolutely nothing. So not a battery issue.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So I switched the R1 and R2 relays. No luck.

It still does not display the Safety / Press Mode button screen. I guess that doesn't happen until it starts the first time after the battery change?

I assume the start button isn't something a non-mechanic like me can install.

So we are shopping for a car hauler to take it to the dealer.

Thanks for all the help!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, one last thing. When you go through your start procedure and press the start push button, can you feel relay R2 click? Easy to feel. Is so, the button and circuitry is fine. Another gotcha that can get people when changing a battery, is to miss getting all of the wires on the battery terminals. The positive terminal has three wires that need connected. One is to the starter solenoid.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Relay 2 does not click. I'm going to take the fiberglass back off tomorrow and check whether 3 wires are on the positive terminal. You may be a mind (or Spydie) reader. WIll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Well, one last thing. When you go through your start procedure and press the start push button, can you feel relay R2 click? Easy to feel. Is so, the button and circuitry is fine. Another gotcha that can get people when changing a battery, is to miss getting all of the wires on the battery terminals. The positive terminal has three wires that need connected. One is to the starter solenoid.
    Good point. Every Spyder I have seen has only one ring terminal going to positive post on the battery. But RT series wiring diagram shows 3 and if the wire going to the starter solenoid is not connected. That would do it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Battery connections

I see 2 connections to the positive terminal with 3 groups of wires (see pic). I included a pic of the negative side too. Can't see any loose wires.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

That actually looks right to me. 3 wires but 2 share the same ring terminal.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I am having the exact same problem.Have you found a solution after taking it in to the dealer?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DianaDavis View Post
    The store must have put the acid in. Thanks for the info on the BS designation.
    I'm sorry but I don't understand. You said there was a box inside the bigger box. Did that box have battery acid in it? Did you try to install the acid into the battery? So you know there is actually acid in the battery? And finally, ALL batteries should be brought up to full charge before use. Did you charge it?

Edit: So I see it's been over a month since her last reply. I wonder how it all worked out.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Hi all!

Thought I'd update on my problem.

We finally found the perfect trailer. Needed one big enough for 2 Spyders and light enough to tow behind a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Bought an aluminum Futura tandem open car hauler. The bed lowers with a cable / wench system, no ramps! Anyway, we took her to the nearest dealer, and while unstrapping it, the mechanic hopped on and the darned thing started on the first try. He had to explanation, thought that I didn't know how to start the bike I've ridden for 7 years.

We returned home and went to start it and it wouldn't start again! Grrrrr... Several days later I tried it again, but pressed down on the brake really hard (fueled by frustration) and it STARTED!
    Days later, it didn't start until I pressed down on the brake really hard again.

Anyone know why I am having to press down harder on the brake? Should I have the brake system checked or is there anything I can do to troubleshoot. Hate to spend a lot of money on it as we will be getting rid of it in the next year so I can get a 2019.

Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

If it is in gear you just have to press the brake pedal hard enough to make the brake lights come on. If it is not in gear you should not have to press the brake pedal at all.

How hard do you have to press the brake pedal to make the brake lights come on?

2018 F3 LIMITED