Spyder Garage

Default Mod to Cal Sci windshield mounting

The XL still wasn't tall enough for my needs, so I fashioned some brackets and moved it up another 1-3/4". Perfect height now.
    20190407_104614.jpg

Sorry for the sideways photo
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

How tall are you?? You must be looking through it! I ordered a medium, hope it isn't too small; won't know until I install it on May 3rd! I want to look well over mine.
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

Yes, looking through it now. Really helps with wind noise.

Spyder Garage

It looks great! Very clean looking. CTAC may I ask how tall you are? I have the Large size, have not installed it yet. I'm about 5'11 - 6'0 but severe atrophy of hindside.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    It looks great! Very clean looking. CTAC may I ask how tall you are? I have the Large size, have not installed it yet. I'm about 5'11 - 6'0 but severe atrophy of hindside.
    I am right at your height but long-waisted. I ride 2-up a lot and hearing my partner via the Bluetooth helmets is very important to me. I cannot wear my hearing aids while I ride so anything that knocks down wind noise improves my ability to hear conversation. Looking through a windshield isn't a problem at all to me and the Ryker's engine is plenty loud as it is.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    How tall are you?? You must be looking through it! I ordered a medium, hope it isn't too small; won't know until I install it on May 3rd! I want to look well over mine.
    I am 6' and have a 34" inseam so I am a little short wasted, I am also gluteus Maximus challenged. At my height and leg length I was between the small and medium on the CalSci chart. I chose the medium so that I could look over it. I have tried hunkering down behind the shield and looked through to see if that changed the sound and I could not detect any change. I am happy with the medium but everybody needs to make their own decision. Here is a photo for reference.

IMG_1057.jpg
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Is the front storage bin accessible with the shield on?

Spyder Garage

Trunk is still accessible. There is an arch cut in the bottom of the shield

Spyder Garage

The handlebars have to be perfectly straight for the storage bin lid to open in the normal mounting position. With it raised, it is no issue. Regarding the sound level, maybe be it is my helmet or some other factor... but at highway speed, there is a huge difference in wind noise being fully exposed verses the windshield at near the top of my head.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I too am short waisted and wasn't sure which size to get; my medium came today (about 3 weeks in advance of my Rally!) and your photo leads me to believe the medium is right for me. It also looks like the lower part of the screen shields your hands some. That true?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    Thanks for the info. I too am short waisted and wasn't sure which size to get; my medium came today (about 3 weeks in advance of my Rally!) and your photo leads me to believe the medium is right for me. It also looks like the lower part of the screen shields your hands some. That true?
    Lower CalSci shield does reduce wind on torso. I have not noticed much effect on my hands. However word is that the accessory wind deflectors for the Rally hand guards do a fantastic job. I will likely purchase the deflectors soon but may wait until the fall to install them. It is almost time for vented gloves. I did notice this morning that the Medium shield reduces cold wind on my neck. I didn't use my neck wrap this morning and even at 48 F it was comfortable ride to the office.