Thread: Arizona Riding?

Spyder Garage

Default Arizona Riding?

Any Arizona riders that can give me an evaluation of Hwy 87 out of Mesa to Payson and then 87 up to Winslow. Worth the ride if we are pressed for time? Trying to hit Winslow, Flagstaff down to Sedona to Jerome and back to Mesa in one day. If 87 isn't a super ride I will just shoot up the freeway to Flagstaff and eliminate 87 up to Winslow. I've been there before but the friends I'm riding with haven't. There is always another day and ride. Don't want to kill off my friends who don't ride as much as I do. Any help would be appreciated.

We are also looking to ride to Tombstone from Mesa and back in one day too. Last time I did Tombstone I spent a couple days in the area. Is there a decent loop to get to Tombstone from Mesa and then return a different way?

Any other cool rides to do in the Mesa area? Heard something about a ride to a big fountain but thats all I know about it.
    Current Modes of Transportation:
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT LTD / Pearl White
    2014 Can Cam Commander 1000 Side X Side / Yellow and Black
    2007 Kawasaki Nomad Cruiser 1600 / Black with lots of Chrome
    2006 Ford F-150 Bronze and Chrome
    2014 ASICS Gel-Nimbus Running Shoes / Blue and White

Spyder Garage

Definitely ride 87 from Mesa to Payson. It's excellent. Instead of going to Winslow, I recommend continuing on to Pine and Strawberry on past 260 to the next left. That goes past Happy Jack and Morman Lake and on to Flagstaff. All pretty riding though in high desert through pine trees. You'll wonder what happened to Arizona and think you're in a different world. After you hit Jerome, consider 89A to Prescott and continue on to Wickenburg then back to Mesa. It is a VERY long day ride with just too much good scenery and riding to rush through. I would make it a 2 dayer with an overnight in Cottonwood. You will not be disappoointed..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the information and advise.

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Definitely ride 87 from Mesa to Payson. It's excellent. Instead of going to Winslow, I recommend continuing on to Pine and Strawberry on past 260 to the next left. That goes past Happy Jack and Morman Lake and on to Flagstaff. All pretty riding though in high desert through pine trees. You'll wonder what happened to Arizona and think you're in a different world. After you hit Jerome, consider 89A to Prescott and continue on to Wickenburg then back to Mesa. It is a VERY long day ride with just too much good scenery and riding to rush through. I would make it a 2 dayer with an overnight in Cottonwood. You will not be disappoointed..... Jim

Spyder Garage

Try Hwy 60 to Wickenburg follow 89 past Yarnell Hill to Prescott then 89A through Jerome, Cottonwood and into Sedona. If you have time follow canamjhb's suggestion or shoot down I-17.

The fountain is in Fountain Hills and blasts off on the hour. It's nothing special, but can kill a few hours.

From Mesa consider riding to Tortilla Flat. Recently repaved, windy road, but it turns into a dirt road a few miles past TF.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

I have a get away home in Payson so I ride the 87 from Phoenix to Payson every weekend and after all these years (Since 2007) I never get tired of it. Avoid it late afternoon Fridays during the summer when people head North
    for the weekend, traffic is terrible.
    2012 RT A&C SE5
    2015 Victory Cross Country (Dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
    2006 Triumph Rocket Dyno tuned 140hp 154tq)

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    Try Hwy 60 to Wickenburg follow 89 past Yarnell Hill to Prescott then 89A through Jerome, Cottonwood and into Sedona. If you have time follow canamjhb's suggestion or shoot down I-17.

The fountain is in Fountain Hills and blasts off on the hour. It's nothing special, but can kill a few hours.

From Mesa consider riding to Tortilla Flat. Recently repaved, windy road, but it turns into a dirt road a few miles past TF.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

I appreciate the information.

Quote Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
    I have a get away home in Payson so I ride the 87 from Phoenix to Payson every weekend and after all these years (Since 2007) I never get tired of it. Avoid it late afternoon Fridays during the summer when people head North
    for the weekend, traffic is terrible.