Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rotella T6 mileage ?

have tried 1 oil change with amsoil, am contemplating the next w/T6 seeing i use it all the other
    motors except cars. the ? to you guys[and gals] that are running it-how many miles are you
    going between oil changes? any input would be appreciated. thank you!!--irv toms
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Not a Spyder, but I ran T-6 in my Victory MC with a 106" (1731cc) engine. I inadvertently ran it over 7K miles, and fearing I had over extended it, I sent a sample in for analysis. The report came back that everything was hunky-dory and BTW, there's another 2500 miles left on that oil before you have any concerns.
    I hope this helps. I will be putting T-6 in my F3L when it's time for its first change and from then on. Good stuff!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

5000 miles change the oil and K&N oil filter in my 2011 RTS

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    have tried 1 oil change with amsoil, am contemplating the next w/T6 seeing i use it all the other
    motors except cars. the ? to you guys[and gals] that are running it-how many miles are you
    going between oil changes? any input would be appreciated. thank you!!--irv toms
    Even tho t-6 is Full synthetic …. I plan to keep my 14 RT until I'm DEAD ….. so I hope to get at least 250,000 miles from it ….. I change at 4500 or so twice a year I only change the filter once ….. Mike ……………………. PS another member posted a LINK to this year's T-6 rebate do a search …. last year I got $34.00 dollars back and this year's is the same ....……...… Mike

Spyder Garage

To the OP, do you have your oil analyzed? That's the only real way to tell how it's performing. My last analysis of Amsoil Metric 10W-40 fully synthetic at 9,300 miles showed the cSt 100C at 13.8, hands down better than Mobil 1 4T Racing at 6,100 miles. The Amsoil has proven best at the least viscosity shear-down of the three oils I've used including the Mobil 1 and BRP XPS synthetic blend.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Ditto to Mike I change at 5K intervals though with the filter every other. Makes it easy to keep track of when it is time for a change and what needs to be changed. Oil on the 5, oil and filter on the 0. I.E. oil and filter at 10k, oil at 15k, oil and filter at 20K, oil at 25k....

CJ Jax

Spyder Garage

Default Works for us in the 1330 SE6

DSCN2818.jpg

I use the Rotella T6 5w40 in both the 16 F3T and my 15 RT. It is JASO MA-2 rated and appears to work well with the 1330 SE6 platform. I used BRP's synthetic in the older 11 RT SM-5 but have run the Rotella for about 40,000 miles in each of our bikes. I too generally refresh the oil at 5,000 miles, but have the one analysis at a longer 8,000 miles and still acceptable viscosity. Your bike and riding parameters, but works for us and I can use the Rotella in my Kubota diesel as well
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I change every 5K. Used BRP synthetic blend until 20K or so and then switched to BRP full synthetic. I didn't experience much difference in observable performance such as heat or shifting. I just completed my 30K service and switched to Amsoil 10w40 metric to see if I noticed any observable differences. I have no experience with Rotella, but hear a lot of positive comments, particularly from people that have many cars, trucks, and toys and use Rotella in everything. Seems like good protection and value. I may try someday.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

im an advocate for early change- mobil1 in motor vehicles changed between
    3-4000 miles. the t6 in everthing else always done way early. but i see amsoil people
    running 9000 miles, but the rotella people only half that mileage. dont trust it to go
    farther? never have tested oil in 54 years of driving. maybe ill try it. pure economics
    say changing t6 twice as many times im still ahead. or am i?
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

im an advocate for early change- mobil1 in motor vehicles changed between
    3-4000 miles. the t6 in everthing else always done way early. but i see amsoil people
    running 9000 miles, but the rotella people only half that mileage. dont trust it to go
    farther? never have tested oil in 54 miles of driving. maybe ill try it. pure economics
    say changing t6 twice as many times im still ahead. or am i?
    Rotella is an oil designed for a heavy duty diesel engine. Do you think they change it at 5K miles? Not being a truck driver, I would only have to assume that they change it at extended intervals. Changing oil on short intervals is just an unneeded precaution.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Irvin48....see post #2. Keep in mind that was in an air cooled engine that is harder on oil by running it hotter at times. Therefore, T-6 is easily a 9K oil in liquid cooled engines..
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    To the OP, do you have your oil analyzed? That's the only real way to tell how it's performing. My last analysis of Amsoil Metric 10W-40 fully synthetic at 9,300 miles showed the cSt 100C at 13.8, hands down better than Mobil 1 4T Racing at 6,100 miles. The Amsoil has proven best at the least viscosity shear-down of the three oils I've used including the Mobil 1 and BRP XPS synthetic blend.
    Sadly, an oil analysis does not represent lubricity. Yes, it measures viscosity and contaminents.

When choosing suspension fluids, like oil for an engine, factors do play into it. One is VI or viscosity index. The oils you mentioned have published VI numbers. What I have learned and experienced is that the suspension fluids that offer the best VI numbers do last a long time, however, they also provide the worst lubrication, which can be felt by the rider as stiction or notchy suspension movement.

Having done countless oil analysis samples on aircraft engines over the past decades, the best information tends to be contamination of the oil, and less about viscosity. Contaminated oil is obviously bad, and causes wear. Poor lubricity causes wear.

I ran BRP oil for break in distance. I replaced that oil well ahead of the scheduled interval. Immediately the gearbox shifted smoother but was still somewhat notchy or tight. After break in, when I went with my current oil, almost immediately, the gearbox freed up. My point is even with new oil that has not sheared, lubricity triumphs over VI.

I have never done oil analysis on the Spyder and have no plans to. I run a premium oil, changed each 5000 miles which is approximately every 12 months.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    Rotella is an oil designed for a heavy duty diesel engine. Do you think they change it at 5K miles? Not being a truck driver, I would only have to assume that they change it at extended intervals. Changing oil on short intervals is just an unneeded precaution.

Engines, even diesels are pretty easy on oils. In the Spyder and many other motorcycles, the gearbox shreads the oil. Even with the viscosity reduced, the engine will be fine, the gearbox will see wear long before the engine.

My opinion, if the Spyder had isolated engine oil from the gearbox oil, the oil change interval for the engine would be at least 25,000 miles, and possibly 50,000 miles. The gearbox though, would be pushing it anything over 10,000 miles. Small diameter straight cut gears that are kind of narrow place a lot of pressure and sliding shear into the oil. Motorcycle gearboxes are hard on oil.

Spyder Garage

I use T6 in our 1330 motors and Change them at 9000 miles. Had the oil tested at 9000 miles and the report came back positive with a recamended change of 10,000 miles. BRP recommends 9300 miles between changes using their semi-syn. So I am confident that the full syn will go 9000. I do replace the filter each time.
    Our 2014 RT was traded at 84,000 miles and never used oil, or had an oil related issue.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Irvin48....see post #2. Keep in mind that was in an air cooled engine that is harder on oil by running it hotter at times. Therefore, T-6 is easily a 9K oil in liquid cooled engines..
    i tried t6 in my victoy cross roads too. noticed no difference ,went back to vic oil.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

FYI>>>Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10W/40 On sale at amazon>>40 bucks for a 6 pack delivered.This is a great price on a fine motorcycle oil.

Spyder Garage

didnt realize i had 1 oil change worth of brp oil here. used it friday. either amsoil again or rotella next change.
    will only go about 7-7500 miles on it. thats what i did for my first change back in '16. thanks for all the input.
    [ps--the oil just b4 this change was amsoil, but didnt realize a difference in the machine]
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Sadly, an oil analysis does not represent lubricity. Yes, it measures viscosity and contaminents.

When choosing suspension fluids, like oil for an engine, factors do play into it. One is VI or viscosity index. The oils you mentioned have published VI numbers. What I have learned and experienced is that the suspension fluids that offer the best VI numbers do last a long time, however, they also provide the worst lubrication, which can be felt by the rider as stiction or notchy suspension movement.

Having done countless oil analysis samples on aircraft engines over the past decades, the best information tends to be contamination of the oil, and less about viscosity. Contaminated oil is obviously bad, and causes wear. Poor lubricity causes wear.

I ran BRP oil for break in distance. I replaced that oil well ahead of the scheduled interval. Immediately the gearbox shifted smoother but was still somewhat notchy or tight. After break in, when I went with my current oil, almost immediately, the gearbox freed up. My point is even with new oil that has not sheared, lubricity triumphs over VI.

I have never done oil analysis on the Spyder and have no plans to. I run a premium oil, changed each 5000 miles which is approximately every 12 months.
    So what premium oil? Inquiring minds and all.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

didnt realize i had 1 oil change worth of brp oil here. used it friday. either amsoil again or rotella next change.
    will only go about 7-7500 miles on it. thats what i did for my first change back in '16. thanks for all the input.
    I'm sending out a sample of Amsoil with 9,666 miles on it. We shall see how it holds up.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

i used amsoil in my previous change. if i hadnt had the leftover brp oil i would probably
    gone with amsoil again, just because i have 5 qts of it left too. cant wait to see your readings.
    i did only a little over 7000 on the amsoil. decided to dump it b4 a years riding.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Even tho t-6 is Full synthetic …. I plan to keep my 14 RT until I'm DEAD ….. so I hope to get at least 250,000 miles from it ….. I change at 4500 or so twice a year I only change the filter once ….. Mike ……………………. PS another member posted a LINK to this year's T-6 rebate do a search …. last year I got $34.00 dollars back and this year's is the same ....……...… Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    DSCN2818.jpg

I use the Rotella T6 5w40 in both the 16 F3T and my 15 RT. It is JASO MA-2 rated and appears to work well with the 1330 SE6 platform. I used BRP's synthetic in the older 11 RT SM-5 but have run the Rotella for about 40,000 miles in each of our bikes. I too generally refresh the oil at 5,000 miles, but have the one analysis at a longer 8,000 miles and still acceptable viscosity. Your bike and riding parameters, but works for us and I can use the Rotella in my Kubota diesel as well
    Hi there, do you use T6 Rotella in your RT. Because here in Canada at my local Canadian tire store they sell it but on it says on it diesel engine oil on it could that be.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

That is exactly why I use it. Diesel oils have a much heavier engine protection additive package because their compression ratio is twice that of a gas engine's. Note that on the back label it says it's JASO MA2 rated - that's a motorcycle rating for wet clutches and cats.

Spyder Garage

I would like to switch from XPS oil to Rotella T6, but I see on the Shell website there is 2 different T6 oils, one is T6 extreme temperature and one is T6 multi vehicle. Which one is the correct one???

Don

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donner1954 View Post
    I would like to switch from XPS oil to Rotella T6, but I see on the Shell website there is 2 different T6 oils, one is T6 extreme temperature and one is T6 multi vehicle. Which one is the correct one???

Don
    The T6 Extreme Temperature is the one we are talking about.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I haven't seen that extreme temp version here. Maybe its because our climate is so moderate - no cold cold or hot hot.