Spyder Garage

Default First LONG ride 1770 miles from Thursday-Sunday.

I started out at 7am on Thursday, left PA (29 degrees) and headed south. Stopped for the day at 570 miles in Sweetwater, TN. Got up Friday morning, headed south via a scenic route to Ft Benning, GA (270 miles, much warmer out!). Visited with my daughter and her Army friends on Friday and Saturday, rode around Columbus and Ft Benning area, visited museums, etc. Tehn got up at 430 am Sunday and rode pretty much straight thru 840 miles home. Sundays ride was brutal, 2 straight hours of pouring rain and 41 degrees around Atlanta, then never above 50 degrees and scattered rain showers thru TN and Southern VA. Dropped into the 40's, then 30's as I headed further north, then low 30's and snow showers to home. I am still cold!
    So, how'd the Ryker do? Awesome! Equipped with the Shad saddlebag, factory windscreen, handguards and heated grips it never missed a beat. I stopped every 150 miles for 5 gallons of fuel. Moving speed was almost always between 75-90 mph except thru the miserable Atlanta weather. Changed gloves 3 times, most of my clothing once, (soaked thru in a couple spots during GA run). What really helped was moving my handlebars every 150 miles to a different position and moving my foot position about every 450 miles. It shifted my body weight around to keep fatigue at bay. The only parts of my body that really wore out were my hands. I was wearing 2 pairs of gloves and I struggled to hold the throttle on near the end. My neck was a bit sore as well. I played music thru my Senna into my helmet for sanity, and I knocked down a couple of 5 hour energy shots to stay awake from VA on north. I rode like a idiot thru the snow because I just wanted it to end near home!
    What would I change? For sure some kind of cruise control. Also, I should have taken my snowmobile suit to wear ( it was just so big and bulky to store!). A better pair of sunglasses. Smaller ear plugs. I wish they made a Shad bag for the left side. That's about it. I am 5'6" so the windshield was perfect. The headlights were awesome with LaMonsters LED bulbs. I never felt squirrley or out of control even at speeds approaching 100 mph. It did great in the heavy rain, occasionally crappy pavement, around a ton of 18 wheelers, etc.. It did great! Now I think I will quit riding it for a week or so.... lol!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphcycleman View Post
    What would I change? . . . Smaller ear plugs.
    I highly recommend these.

They are rather low-profile. I find them comfortable enough to wear for hours. I use them when I play music and for listening to other loud bands.
    At $23, they are a bit more expensive than other earplugs, but I think they are worth it. I've gotten at least 18 months out of my first pair.

Spyder Garage

I started out at 7am on Thursday, left PA (29 degrees) and headed south. Stopped for the day at 570 miles in Sweetwater, TN. Got up Friday morning, headed south via a scenic route to Ft Benning, GA (270 miles, much warmer out!). Visited with my daughter and her Army friends on Friday and Saturday, rode around Columbus and Ft Benning area, visited museums, etc. Tehn got up at 430 am Sunday and rode pretty much straight thru 840 miles home. Sundays ride was brutal, 2 straight hours of pouring rain and 41 degrees around Atlanta, then never above 50 degrees and scattered rain showers thru TN and Southern VA. Dropped into the 40's, then 30's as I headed further north, then low 30's and snow showers to home. I am still cold!
    So, how'd the Ryker do? Awesome! Equipped with the Shad saddlebag, factory windscreen, handguards and heated grips it never missed a beat. I stopped every 150 miles for 5 gallons of fuel. Moving speed was almost always between 75-90 mph except thru the miserable Atlanta weather. Changed gloves 3 times, most of my clothing once, (soaked thru in a couple spots during GA run). What really helped was moving my handlebars every 150 miles to a different position and moving my foot position about every 450 miles. It shifted my body weight around to keep fatigue at bay. The only parts of my body that really wore out were my hands. I was wearing 2 pairs of gloves and I struggled to hold the throttle on near the end. My neck was a bit sore as well. I played music thru my Senna into my helmet for sanity, and I knocked down a couple of 5 hour energy shots to stay awake from VA on north. I rode like a idiot thru the snow because I just wanted it to end near home!
    What would I change? For sure some kind of cruise control. Also, I should have taken my snowmobile suit to wear ( it was just so big and bulky to store!). A better pair of sunglasses. Smaller ear plugs. I wish they made a Shad bag for the left side. That's about it. I am 5'6" so the windshield was perfect. The headlights were awesome with LaMonsters LED bulbs. I never felt squirrley or out of control even at speeds approaching 100 mph. It did great in the heavy rain, occasionally crappy pavement, around a ton of 18 wheelers, etc.. It did great! Now I think I will quit riding it for a week or so.... lol!
    Maybe you should change your member name to
    RoadWarrier
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Or idiot rider! That was soooo frigging cold coming home!

Spyder Garage

But, but, but, YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!! The Ryker is NOT a touring mount. You're lucky to be alive!

Congrats on the trip and this ride report is much appreciated. I hope you enjoy many more trips on the Ryker and I do hope you encounter better weather. Any machine is a touring machine as long as it fits your comfort level.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Or idiot rider! That was soooo frigging cold coming home!
    The things we do for our kids...
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

This may be slightly off topic, but as for changing the gloves because they were wet. I have tried three different gloves (supposedly waterproof) and none met the challenge in a heavy rain or traveling thru hours of drizzle. I finally found 100% over gloves from Aerostitch. They are called triple digit covers. I have been thru steady all day rain and some gullywasher thunderstorms and my hands stayed dry.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

to your Guardian Angle keeping up with you!! Now you need to find a good set of long johns and rain gear, nothing like being warm and dry for the next adventure. Live to Ride, Ride to Live
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

You have finally answered the question that I have been longing to have answered. What is the range of this machine at interstate speeds. 150 miles per tank is OK by me. I thought it was going to be considerably less.

Spyder Garage

I always stopped within 10 miles fore or aft of 150 miles. The most it took was 5.2, the least 4.7, so 30 mpg is dead accurate at what I consider pretty high speed. Rarely below 80 mph, consistently at 83 mph, touched 100 a few times, touched 65 a handful of times. Almost no low speed, except on exiting or entering the interstates. I truly have a 150 mile butt and bladder. I want off for a few minutes even just to stretch out a bit.

Spyder Garage

How was traffic in regards to visibly seeing you?

Spyder Garage

Great adventure. Thanks for the write up.
    Good to hear all went well for the Ryker and you.
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

+1 Triple Digit gloves, won't go anywhere without them!
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

Between the LED headlights, fenders and hand guard lights I am sure i was well seen from the front. Not too many passed me but i am not sure how it looked from there

Spyder Garage

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Look out for rust on your Ryker, they don’t seem to like being wet. We aligned one today at Spyders on the Bayou that was ridden from Nashvile and it has rained a ton, the bike had a lot of rust on it.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads-up. Anything in particular to look out for - bolt heads, welds, etc.??

Spyder Garage

Or Ironbutt ( Tslepebull) ref to the long journey do by triumphcycleman well done to him regards Nico 75

Spyder Garage

600 or 900?

Spyder Garage

I have several gloves, my hands are always cold until it hits about 70 degrees. That seldom happens on the coast. I keep meaning to try to find wool gloves for liners. Wool stays warm even when wet.

Spyder Garage

What a great endorsement for a great machine!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear it was comfortable cruising at Interstate speeds...

Spyder Garage

Heated handgrips? Have I missed something? Wasn’t aware there were any available

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard72 View Post
    Heated handgrips? Have I missed something? Wasn’t aware there were any available
    If the handlebars are 7/8" which is a standard size, then why wouldn't anything that fits a motorcycle fit the Ryker? They make all kinds of grips that should fit, unless I am mistaken in the Ryker handlebars being any different than any other motorcycle. I believe the standards are basically 1" and 7/8", unless again I am mistaken. I could be wrong, and it would not be the first time. I have even thought of putting different handlebars on my machine so that I can sit more upright. Perhaps something with an 8" rise to them.