Spyder Garage

Default Underbody lighting - looks cool, but the fuse blows when we add a switch :(

So we added underbody glow to our 2022 RT!!

The bike needed it, and they do look awesome.

Wiring them in was pretty easy: we already had a show chrome fuse block for heated passenger grips, and putting the led light power supply into that was not hard at all. The most complex part of the process was tidying the cables up and keeping them off the exhaust pipes. The kit came with extra wires for brake and turn signal integration, and the show chrome fuse box supports that, so it all works, and it is very easy to use.

There is a switch on the original wires, but it's hidden under the left wheel arch - not ideal if you want to switch them on and off while cruising down the road. So to fix that, we added a switch into the console, and here is where things start to get 'unexpected'. But first some pictures:

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 3.29.00 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 3.29.19 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 3.29.53 PM.jpg

Adding the switch was easy, and the one we had only came with simple instructions: you have a 12v from the running lights that keeps the switch illuminated, with a ground cable from that. Then a 12v power line to the accessory positive input. The earth from the accessory goes back to regular bike ground.

Only problem is, when I switch the light on, the lights come on one time and then after that the fuse just blows. We've double checked for shorts, and verified that the switch is wired up correctly, but the fuse still blows. We took the switch off and left the lights on with a 5A fuse, and it works just fine.

What's confusing me is that the power is coming from the same connectors on the fuse block, but just by adding a switch is seems that the current is suddenly higher, and I don't particularly understand how the current could be higher because there is a switch there.

Does anyone know enough about electronics to explain to us what the issue is?

Links for the components:

Show Chrome fuse block - https://www.bigbikeparts.com/electro...solated-41-201

Very cool underbody lights - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYNSZ2W3...roduct_details.

Entertaining switch which we probably have wired wrong - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N4CN4GD...t_details&th=1

Muchos Gracias,

Marisol
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2024 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Exposed hidden URL's to minimise risk of trolls/spam/scams... & Fixed attach display... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Just throwing this out there but since everything works without the switch, I'm thinking that the illumination from the switch, coupled with the running lights, is drawing more than 5 amps. If you wire just the switch and turn it on, does it blow the fuse?
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I will try this ��

I think it can’t be anything else, it’s fine with no switch but with the switch it blows 10 amp fuses, says the problem is the switch.

Spyder Garage

I'm just curious how you made out?
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue