Thread: Tires cupping

Spyder Garage

Default Tires cupping

Just curious what everyone has done, I am getting cupped tires on the front tires. Still have stock kenda tires, some claim suspension, some say just lousy tires, what did you replace tires with?

Spyder Garage

I have some cupping also. was look at 2 of the VREDESTEIN QUATRAC 5 for $149.62 delivered.
    Size: 165/65R14
    Serv. Desc: 79T
    UTQG: 400 A A
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cupping is most often from suspension issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Cupping is most often from suspension issues.
    If the machine isn't very old.....and it is happening on both sides, I think the cause more likely is low air pressure.

But there might not BE one single cause.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Alignment, PSI, shocks, balance and krapy Kendas can all play a part in tire cupping. Get new tires, have them balanced, set the PSI around 16/18 (depending), , check your shocks, get a ROLO alignment and you should have no more problems. I run car tires as do a lot of folks and there's many to choose from.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cupping etc.

Kenda tires appear to have a MUCH higher rate of failure than any Auto tire I have ever heard of..... jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

2016 RTS with 11K miles here. Tires are cupped, but do not appear to be getting worse. Had laser aligned at Maggie Valley at 8K miles. MANY people in our Spyder group also say the front Kendas get cupped. I run at 16-17 psi. Spyder rides straight down level, flat highway with no hands, so assuming not an alignment issue. I was advised by several people to run until they need replacing then go with car tires. Everyone in my local group with car tires love them, getting 2X - 3X more miles, at 1/2 the cost of Kendas or less. Just my humble two cents!

Spyder Garage

I too had cupped OE on my 15 RTL, severely cupped at 21000. After hours of re-reading every tire related entry on this site, I opted for the Vredesteins as well. I went with the 175s...amen what a difference. Had the tires delivered from tire rack and installed in Florida prior to a Key West trip. Best $$ I’ve spent on this bike. As for the cupping it appears from all the comments that the tires themselves are the culprit...

Spyder Garage

I noticed cupping at 1000 miles on our 2014 RT and this was after I had it laser aligned. I then started looking at other Spyders at events and I would estimate that 80% of them with OEM front tires showed signs of cupping.
    At 21,000 miles I could not stand the vibration and noise. I switched to car tires and was so impressed with the ride quality. No noise and so smooth with no loss in handling.
    Never going back to OEM tires again!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    I run at 16-17 psi.
    Why ?
    It is not advisable to run lower pressures (with the stock tires) than what BRP recommends.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Why ?
    It is not advisable to run lower pressures (with the stock tires) than what BRP recommends.
    It has been ages since I owned a Kenda tire ( except for my wheelbarrow ) so I can't remember exactly what the front psi is standard ….. That being said, the rear NEEDS 28 psi to keep it stable on the road …. I would think the front Kenda tires would need extra psi also …. It is built just as poorly as the rear tires ….. jmho ….. Mike