Spyder Garage

Default Will connecting iPod to SAE drain my battery?

Tried searching, and didn't find anything that answers what I'm trying to do.

I have a 2018 RT Limited with the aux and USB in the front. I use the USB for my phone/navigation with the BRP connect, however, I prefer to use my old iPod for music only. I have it connected to the aux, and it works fine, but it's older and doesn't hold a charge very well, so I would like to connect it to a power source. I have a SAE to USB power adapter that I used to plug into my old bike's tender pigtail, but it was right next to the key, so it was easy to remember to unplug it at night or on longer stops.

My question...I understand the tender pigtail is always hot because of the direct connect to the battery. So does anyone know if the power drain to my iPod would be significant enough to drain my Spyder battery if I forget and leave the iPod plugged in overnight?

Or the other question would be, does anyone know if I put a splitter on the USB since that is powered with the key, will the BRP App sill recognize my phone off a split or will that just confuse everything.

Putting off actually drilling holes and having stuff rewired until I ride for a while and see just exactly what I "need" where.

Spyder Garage

Yes if you left the ipod connected for 3 or 4 weeks without starting it will run the battery down to the point it will not have enough power to start. Do you have the 12V socket option? Use that with an adapter. It is switched. If you don't have the 12V socket. The wiring for it is behind the front trunk. You can hook up to it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Hi,

I have the same type of question, I don't like the default BRP apps so I am opting to use my phone and am looking to run extension cables from the Front Trunk and end them in the center console switch blanks or maybe in the glove box after a minor entrance is made with a Dremel. I found a motorcycle shop around here that asked for 90$ just to run the two wires, I was like damn!!! Anyways I found a couple of videos online but can't believe you have to dismantle the entire front right side to pass a couple of wires. I am also thinking of using a Tablet instead of the actual dash but have not found a Digital Guage App for the CanAm Spyder RT yet.
    2018 RT , PEARL WHITE/CHROME

Spyder Garage

Hi,

I have the 2018 RT Limited but am not sure about the 12V socket option what would that provide? I would prefer any addon usb devices only be powered when the key is in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AAbruzzese View Post
    Hi,

I have the 2018 RT Limited but am not sure about the 12V socket option what would that provide? I would prefer any addon usb devices only be powered when the key is in.
    Older Limited model RT Spyders have the 12V socket in the front trunk. Not sure about the 2018 model. Did you look. Unzip the liner and it will be on the back wall. If the 2018's don't have one. You or your dealer can install one or a double usb power socket instead. If you do have one and want usb power. Just plug in an adapter.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Older Limited model RT Spyders have the 12V socket in the front trunk. Not sure about the 2018 model. Did you look. Unzip the liner and it will be on the back wall. If the 2018's don't have one. You or your dealer can install one or a double usb power socket instead. If you do have one and want usb power. Just plug in an adapter.
    The 2018 RT Limited I just purchased has the empty socket behind the liner, the idea for me is that I want to manage my phone/tablet/Bluetooth devices outside of the trunk. If I install the adaptor does it go live to the battery and potentially drain it if I forget something on or can it be set to only be powered when the key is in the ignition.