Spyder Garage

Default Do I need a re-alignment?

After corresponding with others on another thread, I have learned that the only way to access my leaking rear suspension air bag is to remove the rear wheel (under warranty). I started another thread stating that my dealer does not have a laser alignment tool but can get it "spot on" with a "BRP approved tool". Not sure what it is.

My question is: If I put my rig into service to fix the leak, the tech has to remove the rear wheel to fix the leak, do they need to do a re-align (with their mystery tool)? I assume that removing and reinstalling the rear wheel world drive a re-align or am I wrong here?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapnPete View Post
    After corresponding with others on another thread, I have learned that the only way to access my leaking rear suspension air bag is to remove the rear wheel (under warranty). I started another thread stating that my dealer does not have a laser alignment tool but can get it "spot on" with a "BRP approved tool". Not sure what it is.

My question is: If I put my rig into service to fix the leak, the tech has to remove the rear wheel to fix the leak, do they need to do a re-align (with their mystery tool)? I assume that removing and reinstalling the rear wheel world drive a re-align or am I wrong here?

For starters the Stealer is hyping the company line …. ( which has been dis-proven - Lazer is more accurate ) ….. The rear wheel CAN be re-moved without changing the Alignment ….. But the Tech may not do it that way …. It's not likely YOU will get a price break if they do your bag at the same time …. the dealers use a Shop Rate Manual for pricing ………..good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

When and how was your Ryde last aligned..? Most laser alignments run 120 to 150 so what are they charging for the BRP approved method..? Then depending on the work and how much is removed in the process would help you decide. Not knowing those that do the work I would realign if it seems to handle differently or you have doubts...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Unless they get the rear tire re-mounted to the exact original position (which Mike correctly points out is possible). Then yes, you'll need an alignment.

It's a bit spooky that dealerships are coming up with these 'Magic Bullet' mystery alignment tools. I wonder what they are talking about? I hope it isn't 'Calibrated Eyeballs'.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If the bike is correctly aligned now and if your belt is tracking correctly put strips of tape over the swing arm adjustment supports so the technician removing and replacing the wheel doesn't muck with the wheel adjustment screws. It might also be a good idea to ask how they will verify the belt tension once the wheel is reinstalled. Courtesy of Joe Meyer a couple of years ago.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Bring it to the NW Spyder rally, and I’ll check it for you. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I probably should have mentioned that this is a warranty item. The service guy was very positive when I called- "Yes the air bag leak is definitely a warranty item". My fear is that it will screw up what I think is a good alignment now and they will be reluctant or unable to re-align (it is good to know that it may not need it). I will definitely talk to them when I bring it in about belt tension and go over the tape method described herein.

Thanks for all the help

Spyder Garage

I probably should have mentioned that this is a warranty item. The service guy was very positive when I called- "Yes the air bag leak is definitely a warranty item". My fear is that it will screw up what I think is a good alignment now and they will be reluctant or unable to re-align (it is good to know that it may not need it). I will definitely talk to them when I bring it in about belt tension and go over the tape method described herein.

Thanks for all the help
    It is fairly EASY to prevent changing the alignment ….. If the Tech First removes the rear Shock bolt …. that will give enough slack for Tire removal …. then they can fix the Air Bag …. and replace the tire EXACTLY where it was when you brought it in ….. good luck Mike

Spyder Garage

Get the warranty work done and then bring it to Joe to an alignment. You never know, it might be off now and you don't realize it.

Spyder Garage

The approved BRP tool used to be a 2 x 4. Don't know if they have become more techy or not.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The approved BRP tool used to be a 2 x 4. Don't know if they have become more techy or not.
    . Now I think they added Two Glo sticks to the ends ….. ……………………… Mike

Spyder Garage

Well the bike is into the dealer for the air bag leak. It leaks very slowly if not sat on so they don't see any bubbles.

The service manager said it might be leaking back thru the compressor.

Spyder Garage

It is an F3-T....

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure why the wheel has to come off. On my 2016 F3L the air bag isn't hidden. Service manual says remove the side body panels, nothing about the rear wheel.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White