Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Suggested tools for long road trip

All,
    Picking up a used RT next weekend from a member on this site. Going to drive it home and I am wondering what tools should I have with me just in case? It’s a 18 hour road trip which is why I am asking. The bike is getting inspected before pickup but you never know. I have always had Harley’s so I made sure to bring tools, cable ties, and electrical tape on anything more than a couple of hours.
    2019 Ryker Rally , Black and blue

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

on the new ride. I suggest long johns and rain gear, phone, plan the trip so you have the phone numbers to local repair shops along your route. You should not have a problem, but be ready in case you do.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

What Copper said, and of course, Credit Card.... Spydercodes app, Check your tire pressures AND the underseat Air Bag pressure, What year is the RT? If it's a 998, you >might< need some oil to top off along an 18 hour trip. I always have a rechargable battery powered digital tire pump Lamonster used to sell, but you can check and update any pressure issues at fuel stops.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I suggest you go to this web site, http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og, drill down to the year of RT you are purchasing and give a scrutinizing squint at the operator's guide, particularly the maintenance section. In the pre-buy inspection you should check, or have checked, the left and right fuse boxes to ensure the spare fuses that are listed in the OG are in fact in there. I also recommend a tire plugging kit in addition to an emergency source of air. There should be a tool kit with the bike that will have all the tools you might need on the road; verify it is there. Some duct tape and a Leatherman type multi-tool is a good idea IMO. Good luck and be safe on the ride home.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Besides all of the above, I went around my Spyder and found all the tools I would need to fit the common fasteners and to remove the panels. There really aren't that many.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wijames View Post
    All,
    Picking up a used RT next weekend from a member on this site. Going to drive it home and I am wondering what tools should I have with me just in case? It’s a 18 hour road trip which is why I am asking. The bike is getting inspected before pickup but you never know. I have always had Harley’s so I made sure to bring tools, cable ties, and electrical tape on anything more than a couple of hours.
    One more thing to think about, I like you went from an HD to a Spyder. I always knew I could use my pickup truck to get my HD back home if I had to in the event of a break down. I can not do that with the Spyder RTL. I have AAA on my car and truck for road side assistance so I added the Spyder to my AAA for an extra $25 a year. I have never had to used it but if I ever needed a tow or help with a tire all I have to do is call.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information! Picked up a Ryker earlier this month and now the Spyder for my wife. Actually more for me but getting 2 toys for the price of a new HD is awesome. She took the Can Am class last fall and loved it. Plus the RT has a trailer. Looking forward to bringing more than just what fits in the saddle bags for road trips!

Spyder Garage

Make sure and post a picture when you get it home and add your new rides to the Spyder Garage!! I wish you the best of weather on your ride home with the new bike, stay warm and dry. Live to Ride , Ride to live.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thanks! Looking forward to the ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    What Copper said, and of course, Credit Card.... Spydercodes app, Check your tire pressures AND the underseat Air Bag pressure, What year is the RT? If it's a 998, you >might< need some oil to top off along an 18 hour trip. I always have a rechargable battery powered digital tire pump Lamonster used to sell, but you can check and update any pressure issues at fuel stops.
    What is the Spydercodes.app you talked about?
    2020 Can Am Spyder RT Limited "The Comet #2"

Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Passenger Armrests From Can Am
    Wolo Big Bad Max Airhorn
    Lamonster Top Cuff W/Ram Ball
    Lamonster Power Plate
    Tackform Phone Mount
    Key Cover from Ebay
    Lamonster Mirror Locks
    Ultragard Cover from Lamonster
    Top Grills from Spyderpops
    Garage Door Opener from Spyderpops
    3.5mm Extension from Amazon
    Lamonster USB Cable Holder & Cable
    Foam Grips from Spyderpops
    Tricled Strobe Brake Light module
    Tricled Bag Lights (replace reflectors)
    Tricled Turn/Brake/Run Signals Rear
    Tricled Floorboard Lights
    Tricled Sequential Run/Turn Fender Lights
    Tricled A-Frame Run/Turn Lights
    Tricled LED American Flag Mount & Flag
    Showchrome American Flag
    2020 RT Limited , Says Chalk White, but in person it is much more gray

Spyder Garage

Search for Spydercodes here on SpyderLovers and you'll find many, many references to it.
    It's an application created by a member here that works on IPhones and Android smart phones that helps look up error codes, dealers, all sorts of information that is Spyder specific.
    But Alas I just found that on the Spydercodes.com website it's no longer available. Apparently only those who already have it can get updates for it anymore.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Search for Spydercodes here on SpyderLovers and you'll find many, many references to it.
    It's an application created by a member here that works on IPhones and Android smart phones that helps look up error codes, dealers, all sorts of information that is Spyder specific.
    But Alas I just found that on the Spydercodes.com website it's no longer available. Apparently only those who already have it can get updates for it anymore.
    Bummer !!!
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unless the RT has known problems, I wouldn't bother with many tools. In my experience, no matter what you take with you , you'll find you didn't bring the ONE you really need.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take an adjustable wrench and two quarts of Wild Turkey.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Take an adjustable wrench and two quarts of Wild Turkey.

I never thought of the adjustable wrench.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

A Metric or SAE crescent wrench??

Spyder Garage

There was a small tool kit that came with the 14 RT. What it was for is a puzzle to me. If it craps, I call the motor club. That's what I pay for. And as I know zip all about mechanics, that B.E.S.T. warranty card and my motorcycle insurance which provides transport, that's enough for this mechanical idiot.

Spyder Garage

Bobsmith
    As the machine was made in Canada, SAE won't work.

Spyder Garage

67B7A03C-B42B-462D-A2D3-55DDC12BB90E.jpgI made it back! Funny story, it was not as smooth as planned. Picked up the RT last Friday. I had it preinspected by Woods motorcycle outside of San Antonio and they found no issues. Took it for a test ride before filling out the paperwork. Everything was good and I bought the Spyder. We hooked up the trailer and when I went to leave I could not release the parking brake. I was stuck. The seller who is from the forum helped me disconnect the parking brake and I took it to Woods. They knew I was driving it back to WI and I only had the weekend to get it done. After about 4 hours of troubleshooting they decided to replace the motor. Because they the bike had less then 100 miles since the recall work thru did not charge us for the repair. I hit the road and made it to Dallas the first night. Second day I left Dallas at 7am and stayed ahead of a huge storm. I made it back to Milwaukee at 1am. It was one hell of a ride.

Spyder Garage

Well, there are metric or imperial crescents. 4" or 100mm are common enough.

Spyder Garage

on the new bike! Now that looks like a nice one. Must run pretty good, you made good time with it getting home. I hope the wife is happy.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Wife is happy but I am happier! Now I have 2 toys. The RT is a nice ride.

Spyder Garage

Congratulations and glad you made it safely. You hit a good shop. Knew they had you over a barrel (time crunch...2nd hand purchase) and did the right thing!

I'll just add (for posterity) that I always carry a well-stocked 1st aid kit and a trauma kit on my Spyder. Not an IFAK, but a compact "trip camping" kit full of all kinds of stuff for minor injuries and illnesses for 4-6 people x multiple days. The trauma kit is an IFAK (individual first aid kit) with a couple TQs (1 pulls double duty as a temp splint/cast), Quick Clot sponges, airway kit, etc. -- just for situations. Stuff like this is what I think side bags are for. I also carry a poncho and poncho liner on road trips for emergency shelter and other contingencies. Most all the other touring essentials were covered by other posters.

Spyder Garage

One thing I wouldn't leave out of any emergency tool kit, (especially on my boat) is a strip of emery cloth or some sandpaper. Many times an oddball electrical issue can be fixed by simply cleaning the battery and ground connections.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Good idea to have a Leatherman type multi-tool. I also carry a vehicle mini-airpump. That is the source of air that goes with the tire plugs. You will want to have some type of water bottle as well to keep water with you to drink so you don't get dehydrated.