Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why so many Elka Shock rebuilds?

I have been considering buying Elka front shocks, but hear about so many people having to send their shocks in for a rebuild every 2 years or so. This is very discouraging. My stock shocks have 24000 miles and still work great. I would expect the same from a $700 set of Elkas. Why so many rebuilds? What went bad?
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Hi Joel,

Re: Why so many rebuilds?

I was looking at a set of used Elkas. The selling price & the cost to rebuild would come to more than a new set.

I went with the Fox shocks.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I've had Elkas on the front of my RT since I bought it in 2014. Still working great.
    Ray
    "Instead of arriving in Heaven in a nice well perserved body I'd rather slide in feet first, all beat up, loudly proclaiming thank you Jesus for a great ride!"

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..

Elkas come with the recommendation that they should be serviced. Not sure if that is the same as the rebuilds or they are failing because a lack of service. Especially the aggressive ryders who work them hard as opposed to the freeway cruiser...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

ELKA's are GREAT shocks, fully custom built on order. I got my set from www.racingpowersports.com got a great deal and free shipping.

Spyder Garage

I have had mine on my F3 since late 2015 and they still work as good as when I got them. No rebuilds here.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Another for Elka Stage 2 Shocks!
    I put them on front & back in 2015 and haven't had any problem with them.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have installed 2-sets on two different 2012 RTLs in 2012 and have had no problem whatsoever. Greats shocks and performance.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Typically, in motorsports, ELKA is a second tier shock. Ohlins, KYB, Showa, Penske and even Fox are the superior products. However, saying that, there are few choices in aftermarket Spyder suspension.

As an all around suspension supplier, Fox is involved in not only Spyders, but off road buggies and trucks, military vehicles, motorcycles, bicycles and sleds, plus probably more. In most cases, Fox has a very good handle on high performance along with longevity, including seals and fluids.

Ela fits the bill for many Spyder owners. I was leaning towards Elkas years ago, but being a long time suspension tuner for motorcycles, my conversation with Elka steered me away from their product. I kept is simple and went with BRP accessory Fox units, which out of the box have been superb. Many people insist they need the various clickers to fine tune their shocks, but honestly, once set there is no true need for additional adjustments. Internally our Fox suspension they did a really good job on the shim stacks and spring rates, and saying that I did not even adjust the preload collars or consider revalving them.

I recall reading about a bunch of Elkas having failed main seals and leaking. Word was there were some defective somethings that caused this. Not sure what specifically or how they corrected it, possibly this is what you are seeing referred to more commonly.

Spyder Garage

There was a "run" of Elka shocks that had defective seals that were supplied by one of their suppliers. At least that is what Elka told me. I was involved with that. Both my front Elkas failed at less than 10K miles. They were sent back for repair and now after another 25K miles there have been zero problems. And, I agree, after setting the shock up to my liking, I find no need to mess with them further..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Go with the ELKA's, you won't regret!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FBRKR View Post
    Go with the ELKA's, you won't regret!
    I hope so as i have just fitted stage 4 front shocks to my F3-S.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Have you looked at our new sponsor https://www.m2shocks.com/ ? looks like they have some nice stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTPG...ature=youtu.be
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Hey Guys, I have been building shocks for all applications for over 20 years now. I have been a service center for Ohlins and Penske...and was the Market Manager at JRi Shocks at one point.

ON ANY PERFORMANCE SHOCK..."Recommendation is every 2 to 3 years". Really it just depends on use, storage, and condition. If you are on roads with a lot of rocks and stuff, likely you will need a service every year or two as the rocks chip up the shaft, which muchrooms and tears the seal on the main bearing.

Obviously I have my own line of shocks, but I have worked on many Elka's and really there is nothing inferior about the bearings, so you shouldn't stress if you have them.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put Elkas on my 2014 RTS when I purchased it new in May of 2014...With in a month they were leaking oil...Sent them back for warranty and almost 3 weeks later I got them back...At the end of the 2018 riding season back in Oct.18 I noticed wet spots on the floor again...Bike had 26000 miles...Sent them to a independent shock rebuilder in Erie PA...Have not ridden this season yet...larryd

I forgot to add one thing...When my Elkas failed back in Oct. 18 I put my stock shocks back on that I had installed the BAJARON shock spring adjuster kit...I rode several times in late Oct. & early Nov. AND I can honestly say I could NOT tell the difference...
    Last edited by larryd; 04-09-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: more info