Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 83

Thread: Vredstein Tires

  1. #1
    Active Member Chasinsparks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    345
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default Vredstein Tires

    Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF) I should have done sooner!


    So after my post about tire repair, BlueKnight911, Canamjhb and a few other recommended going to a car tire and BlueKnight even recommended Vredestein
    Quatrac 5 I went ahead an took the advice of others that have way more experience with the Spyder than I do and made the purchase.

    Got in about a 200 mile ride today, all I can say is thanks for the suggestion. Immediately I noticed how much easier the bike turns and handles in the curves I do not feel like I have to fight it and the ride quality is greatly improve, the bumps are not nearly as jarring as with the Kendras. I now feel that I have to do the rear, I don't know if this makes any since but I kind of feel like with the fronts being so planted that I really notice how crappy the stock rear tire is I felt like the back was stepping out more than before or maybe I had a bit of added confidence and hit the corners harder or maybe it;s just me justifying the need to add a matching rear.
    Spyderpops Led Bumpskid
    Highmount Run/Brake/Turn/Strobe
    Spydercuff W/X-Grip
    Spyderpops Kott Grilles
    Longhorn Run/Turn Mirror lights
    Chrome Rear Wheel

    Chrome Air Vents
    Chrome Handlebars
    Vented Windshield
    Heated Comfort Seat/With Backrest
    Baja Ron Sway Bar/Links
    Sat Radio
    Diamond R Armrest
    Sena Bluetooth Dongle
    BRP Entertainment Harness
    BRP XM SAT Radio
    TRICLED Ultimate Safety Bundle/3rd/4th Run/Brake
    LED Fog lights
    LED Headlights
    Large Led American Flag
    LidLox

  2. #2
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,098
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF) I should have done sooner!


    So after my post about tire repair, BlueKnight911, Canamjhb and a few other recommended going to a car tire and BlueKnight even recommended Vredestein
    Quatrac 5 I went ahead an took the advice of others that have way more experience with the Spyder than I do and made the purchase.

    Got in about a 200 mile ride today, all I can say is thanks for the suggestion. Immediately I noticed how much easier the bike turns and handles in the curves I do not feel like I have to fight it and the ride quality is greatly improve, the bumps are not nearly as jarring as with the Kendras. I now feel that I have to do the rear, I don't know if this makes any since but I kind of feel like with the fronts being so planted that I really notice how crappy the stock rear tire is I felt like the back was stepping out more than before or maybe I had a bit of added confidence and hit the corners harder or maybe it;s just me justifying the need to add a matching rear.
    …. Thanks for the compliment … I'm glad you are pleased with my selection ( the Quatrac 5 ) ….. if you are using the 15 & 18 psi's I recommended all the better ( please let us know - it makes a difference ) ...… Tire pressure mostly contributes to Safety ie. a stickier tire holds the road better - especially when turning & in wet conditions ….. However the tire is part of the suspension system and much additional comfort ( to ride feel ) it can provide. Yes I do go on & on about this - however there seems to be a LOT of new Spyder owners here on the Forum ..... and knowledge even if repeated is not a bad thing …… thanks for your report and please keep us informed ………. Years ago I introduced the folks here to the General Altimax RT43, and it's become one of the most popular rear tires used on any Spyder ( General only makes one size for the front and only if you have Old style fenders )….. Well imho the Vredestein's ( Quatrac 5 ) are actually much better than the RT43 ( NOW ) …. improvements in tires are occurring at a faster pace than ever before …. Continental now has a very attractive tire on the Market ….. I'll keep us posted …… Mike

  3. #3
    Very Active Member Tango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,396
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    The "crapendas" are just that, CRAP! I have Vredestein's all around thanks to Mike. Awesome is the only word befitting these tires. Tom
    "I am the guardian of lost souls! I am the powerful, the pleasurable, the indestructible Mushu!"

    2016 F3Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Lamonster LED headlight and fog lights, Custom Dynamics LED fender and saddle bag lights, Can Am hitch, Can Am rider and passenger backrests, Baja Ron sway bar and Lamonster dog bones.

  4. #4
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    66
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Looked them up - doesn't show a "55" tire.

  5. #5
    Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Waynesboro, PA
    Posts
    1,210
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Per Blueknight911 and yes he's that good!! Knows his stuff

    Vredestein tire sizes from their web site
    Someone asked me ( actually a few some ones - lately ) so I'm going to list the Vredestein Tires that will fit the 14 & 15 inch wheels .. in 14 inch for the front _ three I know will fit are 155/65-14 -- 165/60 14 -- 165/65-14 … these two I'm pretty sure will work also 175/65-14 & 185/55-14 ...depending on type of fenders you have …….. For 15in fronts 145/65-15 -- 155/60-15 __ 165/60-15__165/65-15 __& 175/55-15 ………. for the rear 205/65-15 __ 205/60-15 __ 215/65-15 …….. This info is from VREDESTEIN TIRE CO. ….. if they are made by Vredestein they can be found somewhere …….. These tires are the " Quatrac 5 " model ….. I think Vredestein makes one of if not the best Spyder tire today..... other models may have similar performance characteristics but I won't comment on them...… Happy & safe motoring ….. Bluekinght911

  6. #6
    Very Active Member canamjhb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Mesa, Arid-Zone-A
    Posts
    1,586
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Chasinsparks..... Thanks for the update. I know it's a leap of faith to discard tires with only 2K miles and go with an unknown. I am glad you found the change worthwhile. I know I did too. Both Peter and Mike have been positive advocates for improving our riding experience and they have a wealth of knowledge. Your experience and results of switching will help others to realize the improvements that can be had. I have never seen a post or heard of anyone who prefered Kenda tires after switching to ANY other brand. Vredestine will probably be my brand of choice when my Federals and Altimax need replacing. Thanks again for the report..... Jim
    Platinum Silver Satin 2014 RTL, SOLD

    .]

  7. #7
    Very Active Member PW2013STL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ST Bonifacius, MN
    Posts
    3,103
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I was able to find one tire supplier that list the 205/60 R15 tire. It is a special order item and with shipping and special fee for only ordering 1 tire it came to $98.33. They state that special orders can take up to 6 weeks, so I am waiting for it.
    Their web site when I entered the 205/65R15 came up as no longer available. I did not try searching the 205/65R15 size
    The company is Vulcan Tire.
    2015 F3S, 2018 F3L

    Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?

  8. #8
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    los angeles, ca
    Posts
    1,928
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Is sportrac 5 pretty much same but softer?
    I like the 225/60r15 and 175/50r15 in sportrac.
    nevermind. it’s summer tire...

    Torn between quadratrac all around or hankook Ventus series with very similar tread design front and back.
    I do prefer directional treads.
    6 states down 42 states to go

  9. #9
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,098
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    Is sportrac 5 pretty much same but softer?
    I like the 225/60r15 and 175/50r15 in sportrac.
    nevermind. it’s summer tire...

    Torn between quadratrac all around or hankook Ventus series with very similar tread design front and back.
    I do prefer directional treads.
    Hi, imho the difference between Directional and NON- directional tires is so small I doubt if 1 out of 100 could tell you which Spyder had the directional tires on it ….from actually driving it ……… Spyders are no different from cars/trks or even Two wheel Mtc's ….. Tires ONLY need to match on the SAME axel ( plus don't mix Radial tires with any other type ). ……………. If you prefer the Sportrac 5 sizes better, I would get them ( summer tires ) …. as long as you don't spend MOST of your riding below 35 F ……. The most Important thing about switching to Car tires is the PSI you use in them…… On ANY Spyder, Myself and Peter Aawen recommend 15 PSI...… It has been explained at great length on a Few other Threads - WHY this works best...……Enjoy ….. Mike . .

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Southern Minnesota
    Posts
    20
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    I have a 2016 F3-T. I see there are several sizes that would fit. What would be the preferred size?

  11. #11
    happy old fart stillriding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Elyria, OH
    Posts
    608
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Per Blueknight911 and yes he's that good!! Knows his stuff

    Vredestein tire sizes from their web site
    Someone asked me ( actually a few some ones - lately ) so I'm going to list the Vredestein Tires that will fit the 14 & 15 inch wheels .. in 14 inch for the front _ three I know will fit are 155/65-14 -- 165/60 14 -- 165/65-14 … these two I'm pretty sure will work also 175/65-14 & 185/55-14 ...depending on type of fenders you have …….. For 15in fronts 145/65-15 -- 155/60-15 __ 165/60-15__165/65-15 __& 175/55-15 ………. for the rear 205/65-15 __ 205/60-15 __ 215/65-15 …….. This info is from VREDESTEIN TIRE CO. ….. if they are made by Vredestein they can be found somewhere …….. These tires are the " Quatrac 5 " model ….. I think Vredestein makes one of if not the best Spyder tire today..... other models may have similar performance characteristics but I won't comment on them...… Happy & safe motoring ….. Bluekinght911
    I'm going to show my ignorance by asking what advantage is there in using a tire size that's different from the stock size? I am convinced that Kendas are crap...I replaced my rear last year with a car tire, but went with the stock size. Thanks to you, BK911 and Peter for all of the valuable tire info over the years, but I just need to know the benefits of using different sizes.

  12. #12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,098
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    I'm going to show my ignorance by asking what advantage is there in using a tire size that's different from the stock size? I am convinced that Kendas are crap...I replaced my rear last year with a car tire, but went with the stock size. Thanks to you, BK911 and Peter for all of the valuable tire info over the years, but I just need to know the benefits of using different sizes.
    Regarding '' the Tire size ".... There are very, very Few 225/50-15 size tires being manufactured …. The Kumho Ecsta is the only one I can think of , many users of this tire report that from approx. half the treadwear life it loses quite a bit of it's WET road traction. Replacing the Rear OEM Kenda with a slightly larger tire ( ie. 215/60-15 or 205/60-15 ) will actually bring your speedo and odo closer to True numbers ( the OEM size is not accurate ) …. the Size difference has No effect on the Safety systems like the " VSS ". … Auto tires have proven to be a MUCH better tire in ALL respects than the Kenda's..... and you have quite a bit of choice in those sizes ( even for the New Ryker w/16" tires ) ….. Peter Aawen has written a Ton of info about tire's for Spyders ( the technical reasons mostly ) I specialize in what Brand & Model works best …… EXCEPT for the Kenda's, Auto tires need much less Air pressure than either the Kenda's or what that same tire requires for use on a Car ……. Hope this answers your questions …… Mike ...

  13. #13
    Active Member sledmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    295
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Back when we were riding the original prototype units, they were all fitted with Dunlop car tires. You can still see this on the P0, P1, P2 and P3 prototypes when they are on display in Valcourt. Of course, for production BRP had to find a tire manufacturer that was willing to build tires for them that were inexpensive, allowed by the very light load requirements. The OEM tires are light and cheap in comparison to car tires, which have far greater load capability. Most will ride stiffer as well, even with low air pressures, but should be far more durable and reliable. That has been the experience of thousands of us here on the forum. Many of us have tried numerous car tires over the past ten years, front and rear, with excellent results. It seems BRP selected sizes that were obscure, perhaps in an effort to thwart riders from using non-OEM tires, as they do make good money selling tires. There was discussion a few years ago about trying to find a new vendor other than Kenda, even to offer a premium tire as an accessory right from BRP, but I guess this never went anywhere.

    So do not be wary of using a car tire, even if it is of slightly different size. Ideally you want to stay within 3% of the original diameter. The width can be fudged, as long as it fits in the fender. Up front I've used 155s and 175s instead of the stock 165s, the 155s looked narrow, the 175s are what I like best on my 2013 STS. There are many other sizes to use on the rear, which is kinda wide to begin with so it works well to go slightly narrower (215, 205) than the stock 225 width. There have to be thousands of posts over the years detailing options here. One caution is to pay attention to the traction and temperature ratings, I wouldn't use anything less than A temperature and A traction, AA traction is better. Stay away from B ratings. IMO. And the lighter load rating the better, since the car tire is already way more than a Spyder needs. Mike's suggestions on pressure are right on, tried and true.

  14. #14
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    los angeles, ca
    Posts
    1,928
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Either 165/60r15 or 175/55r15 should work, right? one is not much better or have much more clearance?

    All ratings are same except that 165 is 77h and 175 is 77t.
    6 states down 42 states to go

  15. #15
    Active Member sledmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    295
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    The diameter of the 165/60r15 is only 2.8% greater, should be non issue, same 165 width. The 175/55r15 is only 2% larger diameter, 10mm wider. That's what I run, tighter fit in fender but still OK on 2013 ST-S. What model do you have??


    2013 ST-S SE-5 #4301 - Circuit Yellow – 36,500 miles

    2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

    2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

    2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD


  16. #16
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    los angeles, ca
    Posts
    1,928
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I have a 15 RS with newer fenders.
    6 states down 42 states to go

  17. #17
    Very Active Member PW2013STL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ST Bonifacius, MN
    Posts
    3,103
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    I have a 15 RS with newer fenders.
    I run the 175/55R15 with the new fenders. Works great!
    2015 F3S, 2018 F3L

    Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?

  18. #18
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,098
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    Back when we were riding the original prototype units, they were all fitted with Dunlop car tires. You can still see this on the P0, P1, P2 and P3 prototypes when they are on display in Valcourt. Of course, for production BRP had to find a tire manufacturer that was willing to build tires for them that were inexpensive, allowed by the very light load requirements. The OEM tires are light and cheap in comparison to car tires, which have far greater load capability. Most will ride stiffer as well, even with low air pressures, but should be far more durable and reliable. That has been the experience of thousands of us here on the forum. Many of us have tried numerous car tires over the past ten years, front and rear, with excellent results. It seems BRP selected sizes that were obscure, perhaps in an effort to thwart riders from using non-OEM tires, as they do make good money selling tires. There was discussion a few years ago about trying to find a new vendor other than Kenda, even to offer a premium tire as an accessory right from BRP, but I guess this never went anywhere.

    So do not be wary of using a car tire, even if it is of slightly different size. Ideally you want to stay within 3% of the original diameter. The width can be fudged, as long as it fits in the fender. Up front I've used 155s and 175s instead of the stock 165s, the 155s looked narrow, the 175s are what I like best on my 2013 STS. There are many other sizes to use on the rear, which is kinda wide to begin with so it works well to go slightly narrower (215, 205) than the stock 225 width. There have to be thousands of posts over the years detailing options here. One caution is to pay attention to the traction and temperature ratings, I wouldn't use anything less than A temperature and A traction, AA traction is better. Stay away from B ratings. IMO. And the lighter load rating the better, since the car tire is already way more than a Spyder needs. Mike's suggestions on pressure are right on, tried and true.
    Thank you, it's nice to hear Opinions based on factual info ….. rather than " well my Tushy thinks " etc. …… …….. Mike

  19. #19
    happy old fart stillriding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Elyria, OH
    Posts
    608
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    [SIZE=4[/SIZE] Thanks for all the valuable info, guys.

  20. #20
    Very Active Member Tango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,396
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Got our tires at "Tirerack". Free shipping, no sales tax. Tom
    "I am the guardian of lost souls! I am the powerful, the pleasurable, the indestructible Mushu!"

    2016 F3Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Lamonster LED headlight and fog lights, Custom Dynamics LED fender and saddle bag lights, Can Am hitch, Can Am rider and passenger backrests, Baja Ron sway bar and Lamonster dog bones.

  21. #21
    Active Member RapidSpyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    312
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thank you, it's nice to hear Opinions based on factual info ….. rather than " well my Tushy thinks " etc. …… …….. Mike
    Well, sometimes we need to listen to our tush too, hence the term “flying by the seat of your pants”.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited, yes I need to update my pic.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar.



    HE>I

  22. #22
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,098
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    Well, sometimes we need to listen to our tush too, hence the term “flying by the seat of your pants”.
    ………. If the " Tush " belonged to Emmerson Fittipaldi or Ayrton Senna or Lewis Hamilton , I would listen to it. But I don't think yours is in that class ...……………… Mike

  23. #23
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cloquet Mn
    Posts
    210
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I run a 205/55R15 on the rear of 2014 RT-S (OEM 225/50R15) a lot more choices, less than 1" difference in width. https://tiresize.com/comparison/

  24. #24
    Active Member MeudtPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Monroe, WI
    Posts
    88
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF) I should have done sooner!


    So after my post about tire repair, BlueKnight911, Canamjhb and a few other recommended going to a car tire and BlueKnight even recommended Vredestein
    Quatrac 5 I went ahead an took the advice of others that have way more experience with the Spyder than I do and made the purchase.

    Got in about a 200 mile ride today, all I can say is thanks for the suggestion. Immediately I noticed how much easier the bike turns and handles in the curves I do not feel like I have to fight it and the ride quality is greatly improve, the bumps are not nearly as jarring as with the Kendras. I now feel that I have to do the rear, I don't know if this makes any since but I kind of feel like with the fronts being so planted that I really notice how crappy the stock rear tire is I felt like the back was stepping out more than before or maybe I had a bit of added confidence and hit the corners harder or maybe it;s just me justifying the need to add a matching rear.
    Hi Chasinsparks, I see your 2016 RTL front OEM tires are the same as the 2018 RTL. What size Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires did you install for this improvement?
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME

  25. #25
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,098
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    Hi Chasinsparks, I see your 2016 RTL front OEM tires are the same as the 2018 RTL. What size Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires did you install for this improvement?
    I don't know what Chasinsparks bought ….. but others here have mounted the 175/55-15 on their RT's …… Mike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •