Thread: Tech question

Spyder Garage

Default Tech question

Hi guys. question , I took my Rt out for the second time this year today. I am hoping I don't have a major issue with the air bag, When riding the and adjusting the air bag the manual warning screen came up. turned the bike off and let it sit for an hour and all was well. Do I have an oncoming issue that I have to worry about....I have a 15RT-S …..thanks

Spyder Garage

You may have a compressor issue. Do you have a B.E.S.T. extended warranty?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Get a good digital pressure gauge and check your pressure under the seat after a ride, then the next morning and see if there's a significant pressure drop. Your system may have drained down over the winter and it may just be resetting itself.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Get a good digital pressure gauge and check your pressure under the seat after a ride, then the next morning and see if there's a significant pressure drop. Your system may have drained down over the winter and it may just be resetting itself.
    Good idea ….. but consider that just checking the air pressure causes a significant drop ….. because the Spyder Air Bag is sooooo small you can easily lose 10lbs just checking it ...…...……...jmho …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep an eye on it but cant hurt to take it to the dealer if you still have a Warranty. Get it fixed before it the warranty runs out..

Spyder Garage

If the warning screen appears, likely the compressor failed or is failing.

If the pressure drops significantly overnight, the compressor could be fine, but the check valve, hose connections or even the airbag may have a leak.

A significant leak will have the compressor run more often or constantly, ultimately destroying the compressor.

On our RTS, the check valve failed. I replaced the corroded brass check valve with a stainless steel check valve. Took about 30 minutes and was inexpensive to do. This solved the compressor cycling more often than when new.

If you understand check valves, ours was leaking in the closed position, back feeding air through the compressor itself. Essentially making it impossible to find a leak using a soap and water solution.

Spyder Garage

Wow great info, I I will start the bike up today and see if it comes back, yes I do have a warranty and very happy I got it. The back has been sitting so that maybe it the issue, I noticed that the ride was a little harsh over bumps so I went to adjust the and the manual scene came on. I got to my destination and let it sit and made another adjustment to show a friend and it did not come back . ill get it to a dealer for an oil change and have them look at it... guys you have been a big help..

Spyder Garage

Try the horn it is on the same fuse. If it doesn't work you most likely have a compresser problem. I put an aftermarket compresser in and it works faster and quieter.

Spyder Garage

All the above reply's are very good. On my RTS, I have had 2 ACS switches, a compressor and last year I replaced the one way valve (check valve) and 2 of the 90 degree brass fittings and hoses. Keep us posted on your findings. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Way common to lose pressure from the thin air bag over a couple of months...The S and Limited series have the compressors to keep up, but I bet half the base RTs like mine or the F3s like the wifes F3T have less than 10 psi in them... Its a once a month check to get the pressure back up to 50 psi for me 1 up. If a big old tire can lose 3-5 psi over a season, its easy for the smaller bag to permeate and lose its charge..... and then you have those systems that develop a leak
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss