Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I bought my 2014 RT ( basic ) in Ill. & drove it home to Vt. --- Freight & Prep = $0.00 ….. Mike
    They make up for it "dealer fees" & "assembly fees".

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    They make up for it "dealer fees" & "assembly fees".
    I suppose others have paid those ….. but in my case the only FEE that I didn't mention was a Document Fee..... If I had to add every possible nuance to my posts, I wouldn't have time to ride ...……… I think the Thread asked about Freight & Handling, so that's what I addressed ………...…… Mike

Spyder Garage

There are different levels of Dealerships, Silver, Gold, Platinum etc. I wonder if that has something to do with whether they charge freight and prep? Could be Platinum dealers don't have to pay Can Am for freight, not sure though. My dealer is a Platinum Dealer and no freight or prep there. Just a $99 admin fee.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    There are different levels of Dealerships, Silver, Gold, Platinum etc. I wonder if that has something to do with whether they charge freight and prep? Could be Platinum dealers don't have to pay Can Am for freight, not sure though. My dealer is a Platinum Dealer and no freight or prep there. Just a $99 admin fee.
    I don't know how it works but my experience. Every dealer I received a quote from had fee/assembly/freight, what I call noise. The one that charged me MSRP out the door was the smallest dealer in a little tiny poe dunk rural town (as we refer to them) in the middle of nowhere with a small showroom. Lower overhead. That's why I bought from them.

After I bought my Rally from them, ran into childhood friend and he said I like those guys (that dealer) because if I'm working on something and come and ask about x they will tell my solution to fix it, vs other dealers say leave it here we'll look at it and charge $.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
    I don't know how it works but my experience. Every dealer I received a quote from had fee/assembly/freight, what I call noise. The one that charged me MSRP out the door was the smallest dealer in a little tiny poe dunk rural town (as we refer to them) in the middle of nowhere with a small showroom. Lower overhead. That's why I bought from them.

After I bought my Rally from them, ran into childhood friend and he said I like those guys (that dealer) because if I'm working on something and come and ask about x they will tell my solution to fix it, vs other dealers say leave it here we'll look at it and charge $.
    Yeah, the dealer that offered me $400 less on trade ended up being the one that actually had the $400 LESS out the door!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just bought a Ryker yesterday. Delivery/setup/prep was $150. I thought that was fair.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, the dealer that offered me $400 less on trade ended up being the one that actually had the $400 LESS out the door!
    It will be interesting to see the leasing terms/conditions and how that affects sales. My dealer didn't know the details but it sounded like a standard lease x/miles year with buy out option at end.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I just bought a Ryker yesterday. Delivery/setup/prep was $150. I thought that was fair.
    So you got it for $8649 or $10,149 (depending on if a 600 or 900) plus tag & tax out the door? If so, that is fantastic!

Or did they charge you for colored panels, which are SUPPOSED TO be FREE?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was the Rally $10,999. Nope the classic colored panels (I chose adrenaline red which is really orange if you ask me) were free. Plus the $150 freight/setup/prep, Plus tax/tile/registration, plus the accessories I ordered. So, the dealer made a little extra over and above what they normally make on the MSRP sale price. I'm OK with that. I want my dealer to make money as long as I don't feel gouged. I need him to stay in business

Spyder Garage

It was the Rally $10,999. Nope the classic colored panels (I chose adrenaline red which is really orange if you ask me) were free. Plus the $150 freight/setup/prep, Plus tax/tile/registration, plus the accessories I ordered. So, the dealer made a little extra over and above what they normally make on the MSRP sale price. I'm OK with that. I want my dealer to make money as long as I don't feel gouged. I need him to stay in business
    Yeah, I'm sure they make more on selling a 900 vs. 600 at MSRP. Especially a non-base model 900.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, I'm sure they make more on selling a 900 vs. 600 at MSRP. Especially a non-base model 900.

I agree with that. I bet we'd be surprised how much "profit" the dealer sees from an MSRP sale. My guess is its $1200 or less.

Spyder Garage

I agree with that. I bet we'd be surprised how much "profit" the dealer sees from an MSRP sale. My guess is its $1200 or less.
    You think that is a SMALL amount? Not me, a $500 profit would be about right IMHO.

Spyder Garage

I bought my Rally for $10,200 plus tax and tags. $10,863 total out the door. Went back in March and my brothers purchased 2 more for the same deal. No freight or dealer add on fees of any kind.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    Just curious what various dealers are charging (and no, I'm not including the $1500 Service Contract that someone got sucked into!)

I'm ready to put a deposit on a Rally and the dealer in Boerne, TX wants $695 each for shipping and handling. Nine years ago I paid $299 for shipping and $239 for handling on a 2009 Yamaha FJR1300 AE. I'm pretty sure dealers won't budge on prices; Rykers and Rally's in particular are selling too well, but maybe on these 'extra profit' items?

Russ
    Lakehills, TX
    No Rally, no signature
    I guess your'e just going to have to do your research if this is so important to you....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gskinner View Post
    I bought my Rally for $10,200 plus tax and tags. $10,863 total out the door. Went back in March and my brothers purchased 2 more for the same deal. No freight or dealer add on fees of any kind.
    That's the best deal I have heard of

Spyder Garage

A few months back, I got Rally quotes from three different vendors in the So Cal area. Two of them were "gold" dealerships and one "platinum."
    Their Additional Dealer Markups (ADM) ranged from $1,700 to $1,900 per unit. So a new Rally around here is going to run you at least $14K-15K out the door (TT&L included). Higher if you want some accessories tacked on.
    Priced me out...looking at used or dealer demo F3-S SE's now.

I've run a full marathon (26.2 miles) in all 50 Sates.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You think that is a SMALL amount? Not me, a $500 profit would be about right IMHO.
    You clearly don't have the slightest clue as to what it costs to operate, run, and to run properly, insure and to deal with the hundreds of ancillary issues, read costs, to have a dealership that you would want to deal with. The add on fees that you see in some of the dealers, especially in California are however ridiculous..........
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Took a test ride on a rally edition, very nice. The dealership wants $12,700 out the door. That is with the comfort seat and $470 freight charge and $181 tags & reg.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I guess your'e just going to have to do your research if this is so important to you....
    I did my research, bought one at 10999 plus 125 'doc' fees. Tax and title will be extra but I'm titling it in NM. You will have to pay tax pretty much anywhere you buy it, either at the time of sale or at the time of registration. And, yes, $1390 savings IS important to me.....
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

I have never paid prep or shipping on any toys.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorSithLord View Post
    Took a test ride on a rally edition, very nice. The dealership wants $12,700 out the door. That is with the comfort seat and $470 freight charge and $181 tags & reg.
    I got my Rally with comfort seat plus comfort passenger seat and tall backrest for just over $13k out the door.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    I have never paid prep or shipping on any toys.
    BUT..... you paid HIGH Canadian prices!

Spyder Garage

Bought my Rally yesterday for $10,700. No shipment or set up fees or installation fees, just KY sales tax and a $98 documentation fee. $12,661 out the door with adjustable windscreen, custom blue panels, comfort seat, sway bar, bike cover, tank bag and handguard LEDs (accessories were each discounted 15%). Great experience and I didn’t even negotiate. Proves that dealers have a lot of leeway.

Spyder Garage

This is one of the best advise (if not the best) you will ever find on this forum and greatly appreciate you sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    There is a lot to play with on any new vehicle purchase. I will see if I can find my tips and hints post.

I have put this advice in a few prior posts.

Buying a Spyder/Ryker is just like buying a car.

What you need to look at is the "out the door" price. Everything else is flexible. You may be able to dicker on one thing but not another...always keep in mind...what is that doing to my OTD price?

There is NO fixed MSRP and NO fixed trade in price.

Those are the first places to begin.

Accessories: All accessories are over priced for a reason. Some dealers try to get full price AND then charge you extra to install them. I get a discount on the accessories (especially if I buy a lot of them), l always get a discount on the install.

Extended BEST Warranty: It can be purchased a lot cheaper elsewhere. $700 is a good ballpark. You do NOT have to buy the warranty from the selling dealer. You have until the original warranty is about to expire.

The extended warranties are always overpriced. The salesman gets a commission for selling it to you. Some companies are more greedy than others.

Financing: Shop around. Get the dealers rate...go elsewhere to see if you can "beat" the rate. Have that "in the bag" so you can pull it out if you have to. Don't tell dealer that you will finance elsewhere. That is a bargaining chip on your pile. Do get pre-approved elsewhere...just in case.

Beware of "dealer reserve." Dealer quotes you the financing rate as X. He gets a special deal from the bank as Y. The difference between X & Y...the dealer gets a check from the bank. You pay for it on the financing contract.

Set up and administration fees: I call a large BS on this. All these do is add an extra profit on the contract (for the dealer). I don't pay them...on cars or on the five spyders I have purchased.

Tax, license, registration: A reasonable fee like $25 to $40 should suffice. They enter the information and push the button on the computer. Done. Not worth $200 like some charge.

Just like car buying...Caveat Emptor. Go in prepared and have some fun with it. Both my car dealer and my spyder dealer cringe when they see I'M BACK.

You wont get the same deals on Ryker as Spyder...since Ryker is low end. The above still applies with a loaded Ryker and extras...like warranty.

I guarantee there is a LOT for the dealer to play with here. He needs YOU more than you need THEM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I paid MRSP - instant BRP rebate plus tags/tax/title/registration - MD do like getting their sales tax/tag money/title money and vehicle registration money. For a $ 20K machine that's about $1500.

So negotiation is out the door not including MD's cut.

Highest offer I received was: MSRP + $695 freight + $300 assembly/check-out + $299 doc fees. $299 doc fee is the latest amount MD allows. WOW - I just lol and kept laughing as I was walking out the door.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020