Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Freight and Handling charges!

Just curious what various dealers are charging (and no, I'm not including the $1500 Service Contract that someone got sucked into!)

I'm ready to put a deposit on a Rally and the dealer in Boerne, TX wants $695 each for shipping and handling. Nine years ago I paid $299 for shipping and $239 for handling on a 2009 Yamaha FJR1300 AE. I'm pretty sure dealers won't budge on prices; Rykers and Rally's in particular are selling too well, but maybe on these 'extra profit' items?

Russ
    Lakehills, TX
    No Rally, no signature

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Strive for your best out the door price. I think you will be better off. cueman

Spyder Garage

There is a lot to play with on any new vehicle purchase. I will see if I can find my tips and hints post.

I have put this advice in a few prior posts.

Buying a Spyder/Ryker is just like buying a car.

What you need to look at is the "out the door" price. Everything else is flexible. You may be able to dicker on one thing but not another...always keep in mind...what is that doing to my OTD price?

There is NO fixed MSRP and NO fixed trade in price.

Those are the first places to begin.

Accessories: All accessories are over priced for a reason. Some dealers try to get full price AND then charge you extra to install them. I get a discount on the accessories (especially if I buy a lot of them), l always get a discount on the install.

Extended BEST Warranty: It can be purchased a lot cheaper elsewhere. $700 is a good ballpark. You do NOT have to buy the warranty from the selling dealer. You have until the original warranty is about to expire.

The extended warranties are always overpriced. The salesman gets a commission for selling it to you. Some companies are more greedy than others.

Financing: Shop around. Get the dealers rate...go elsewhere to see if you can "beat" the rate. Have that "in the bag" so you can pull it out if you have to. Don't tell dealer that you will finance elsewhere. That is a bargaining chip on your pile. Do get pre-approved elsewhere...just in case.

Beware of "dealer reserve." Dealer quotes you the financing rate as X. He gets a special deal from the bank as Y. The difference between X & Y...the dealer gets a check from the bank. You pay for it on the financing contract.

Set up and administration fees: I call a large BS on this. All these do is add an extra profit on the contract (for the dealer). I don't pay them...on cars or on the five spyders I have purchased.

Tax, license, registration: A reasonable fee like $25 to $40 should suffice. They enter the information and push the button on the computer. Done. Not worth $200 like some charge.

Just like car buying...Caveat Emptor. Go in prepared and have some fun with it. Both my car dealer and my spyder dealer cringe when they see I'M BACK.

You wont get the same deals on Ryker as Spyder...since Ryker is low end. The above still applies with a loaded Ryker and extras...like warranty.

I guarantee there is a LOT for the dealer to play with here. He needs YOU more than you need THEM.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-30-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My dealer charged MSRP on my 900 and $0 for shipping and freight. There was a $50 paperwork fee. Thought it was a pretty fair deal. Good luck. They are a blast to ride!!

Spyder Garage

Zero shipping and Prep! 250 Deposit covered Title/License/registration.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    Just curious what various dealers are charging (and no, I'm not including the $1500 Service Contract that someone got sucked into!)

I'm ready to put a deposit on a Rally and the dealer in Boerne, TX wants $695 each for shipping and handling. Nine years ago I paid $299 for shipping and $239 for handling on a 2009 Yamaha FJR1300 AE. I'm pretty sure dealers won't budge on prices; Rykers and Rally's in particular are selling too well, but maybe on these 'extra profit' items?

Russ
    Lakehills, TX
    No Rally, no signature
    I can get you one from Bradford Marine in Texarkana Texas for MSRP + $125.00 out the door no other charges.

My phone # is 501 580-5595 call me if i can help you with this.

(i am a Spyder rep for this company) we have them in stock.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

$500 over sticker here all in (including taxes, registration, etc..)..... + 10% off of accessories and free installation (including free installation of the 2-up spring).
    Ryker 900 ACE - 2-up spring, max mount, passenger seat, short seat rail, Shad bag

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Zero shipping and Prep! 250 Deposit covered Title/License/registration.
    ...back in 14 I bought a new RT in Ill. - flew there and rode it home …. No Freight No Prep only a document fee …… Mike

Spyder Garage

AKSPYDERMAN, I don't see any Rykers in your list of CanAms.
    But that aside,
    Of course 'out the door' price is the bottom line. And freight and handling is a huge part of that line. In my lengthy history of new vehicle purchases, I don't recall ever NOT having to pay some freight and handling but it is a negotiable fee and can substantially lower the 'out the door.' As for "no fixed MSRP", that is not quite true. Yes, there is no 'window sticker' with MSRP like an auto or truck but it is freely advertised by CanAm/BRP as well as every dealer ($10,999.00 for a Rally) as are the accessory prices. I suspect that virtually all Ryker dealers will stick to the 'MSRP' price but deal on other fees. The $125 'document fees' is pretty standard as well.
    I intend to 'shop around' for the best price and will "drive a little to save a lot". I'm titling and moving my Ryker to another state soon after purchase so have no allegiance to a specific dealer. And paying cash so no finance worries.

PS, headed to AK for the 4th time in June; just Hyder this time. Limited time prevents going up the Highway or over the Top as I have on previous trips.
    Last edited by McRuss; 03-31-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added content
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
    AKSPYDERMAN, I don't see any Rykers in your list of CanAms.
    But that aside,
    Of course 'out the door' price is the bottom line. And freight and handling is a huge part of that line. In my lengthy history of new vehicle purchases, I don't recall ever NOT having to pay some freight and handling but it is a negotiable fee and can substantially lower the 'out the door.' As for "no fixed MSRP", that is not quite true. Yes, there is no 'window sticker' with MSRP like an auto or truck but it is freely advertised by CanAm/BRP as well as every dealer ($10,999.00 for a Rally) as are the accessory prices. I suspect that virtually all Ryker dealers will stick to the 'MSRP' price but deal on other fees. The $125 'document fees' is pretty standard as well.
    I intend to 'shop around' for the best price and will "drive a little to save a lot". I'm titling and moving my Ryker to another state soon after purchase so have no allegiance to a specific dealer. And paying cash so no finance worries.

PS, headed to AK for the 4th time in June; just Hyder this time. Limited time prevents going up the Highway or over the Top as I have on previous trips.
    The dealing on Ryker will be a little tighter for pricing. There is much less margin to work with there. I am very familiar with Hyder. An interesting place to look up on the map.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-31-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

For what it is worth, $150 admin fee + MSRP at Reno's in Kansas City. Payments under $200 with a little money down for the Rally.
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Spyder Garage

I am lucky as my 900 cost just what the sticker says. In A little town called Sublimity Oregon and they delivered it for free, a 2 1/2 drive. Also no sales tax in Oregon. So mine cost $9,999. No freight and no handling fees.

Spyder Garage

Paid $10,200 for my Rally plus tax & tags. Total out the door was $10,863. There was no freight or handling charges.

Spyder Garage

Getting two of them in Texarkana, TX, for MSRP + doc fee ($10999.00 plus $137, total $11,136 each) Will have to pay sales tax when I register it in New Mexico, 3%. Local dealer wanted an additional $1390 for freight and handling.
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

Just got a quote from a local dealer that seems a pretty extravagant:
    $10,999 - 2019 Ryker Rally
    $635 freight
    $893 set up/assembly
    $145.50 FL tag/registration transfer
    $670.19 tax
    $199 dealer fee

Spyder Garage

Come to Arkansas or Texas and buy it from me and save $ 1,700.00

Cruzr Joe

501 580-5595
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Never-ever pay freight and assembly! If you pay retail, they eat the F+A.. If you receive a big discount, not on a Ryker, they may insist on F+A.. On my RT and F3L I received hefty discounts. And no F+A. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Yes, Hyder has beautiful scenery with glaciers and we seen lots of grizzly bears. Talking of trying to get back there again this year.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Come to Arkansas or Texas and buy it from me and save $ 1,700.00

Cruzr Joe

501 580-5595
    Pm sent to you.

Spyder Garage

There are 2 dealers in my area. Don's in York, PA charges $780 (I might be a couple $ off) and Motosports Inc. in Hanover, PA charges 0$. That was without any negotiation at either place. If we would have went to Don's 2nd we might have negotiated but after the dealer in Hanover was that much cheaper plus gave a 15% discount on all accessories bought with it (with free install, which may be standard), we didn't look any further. We (this is for my father) pick it up this coming weekend because they were sold out of a couple of the accessories he wanted. On a side note, even with freight and assembly charges this thing is probably the most fun for the dollar I have ridden and now the wife and I are looking for a used RT (loved the new one we rode, but just can't swing the price right now).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kmonroe99 View Post
    $635 freight
    $893 set up/assembly
    $670.19 tax
    $199 dealer fee
    That is grossly excessive dealer profits! 1st dealer I went to (east coast FL), needed $700 on top of freight and MSRP for assembly & "dealer fees". Found a west coast dealer $200 less. 1st dealer wouldn't budge when I mentioned $200 at another dealer. HAD to get his $700. So he got NOTHING. I even managed to squeeze another $200 from 2nd dealer on trade, when I found a Piaggio dealer nearby interested in my MP3 500. So I saved $400 by shopping around.

When I bought my Polaris Slingshot in 2015, I saved $1,000, simply by shopping around. Waited a few days for one to arrive at a different dealership, rather than getting one immediately available for $1,000 more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kmonroe99 View Post
    $635 freight
    $893 set up/assembly
    $670.19 tax
    $199 dealer fee
    FREIGHT on mine to Ft. Myers was listed at $450, so they are definitely jive talking at $635.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    FREIGHT on mine to Ft. Myers was listed at $450, so they are definitely jive talking at $635.
    I bought my 2014 RT ( basic ) in Ill. & drove it home to Vt. --- Freight & Prep = $0.00 ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

imotor sports...base price...less than 200 paper charges...u might get off 500 fees for frieght if you push them....Jason is a good guy to use.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Out the door prices are going to vary widely across the country because of different tax rates etc. But what should be the constant should be Price, freight, prep and admin fee's. My dealer is charging MSRP and $99 admin fee, that's it. Of course you will have taxes but that's a variable. Also giving me 10% off accessories at time of delivery. If they were charging freight and prep I would be looking elsewhere as should everyone else.