Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default GW Trike vs Canam (Trike)

As an owner of a 2005 GW w/Road Smith kit, I've lurked on this forum for a while now reading lots of comments, especially as might pertain to service issues, break downs, quality, and on the list grows. Here is one of my comparisons, if I have a mechanical problem on the road to somewhere with my 2005 GW Trike, I'm totally in a world of you know what getting it fixed. Finding a dealer to fix it is almost impossible and that gives me great pause miles from home. I've been in that dreaded red light on the dash, and it just kills the journey. Now I know 'stuff happens' if on the road or where ever, to all makes and models, GW being one of the bullet proof brands that rarely breaks, but it does on occasion. The age, and the trike thing is a big problem when I'm on a journey with the wife and luggage and there's an 'mechanical issue', and that's always on my mind, takes some of the fun out the journey. Now, comparing to the Canam touring machine, it's built from the ground up for to be a three wheeled machine, so find and dealer and he will fix it wherever it might be. I've heard some of the horror stories about Spyder dealers shops, but at least they are out there, you can get the machine back on the road and home, even if the shop is not 'the best'. I think even the worst of them will make a best effort if they know you are miles from home and need 'good attention'. So this has been on my mind, just putting it out there for no particular reason.

Spyder Garage

Interesting points. Everything mechanical is subject to breakdown sooner or later.

On sites like this, you do hear some very scary horror stories. It is not an across the board issue with the Stuff does happen to the occasional There are more good spyders than bad ones, and more good dealers than bad ones.

We do hear from the complainers more than the likers. The likers are out enjoying their spyders most of the time.

I have owned five total. Still have two. Over 145,000 combined miles. No breakdowns or major problems here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have toured for 2-7 weeks every year for most of the last 30. Never had a break down that could not be dealt with on the road. That includes tire changes and a tow to dealer for battery issue. One year I got into very bad weather with no end in sight. I was 1500 miles from home and looking to buy a truck to carry bike and me home. Nothing reasonable available so I just changed my route and continued on. I no longer worry about "what if".... I carry more tools than I have ever needed. If S*** happens, a nice meal and cocktail usually leads to a proper solution..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

The Spyders are very reliable. I had 20k on my 15 RTS no real issues. 3k on my 18 F3L no problems. There are plenty of dealers out there so that won't be a problem getting fixed if something should happen. Go for it.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

My friend had an older GW trike and the u joint was failing 500 miles from home, made it half way back and it failed then towed home.

Not one motor cycle shop would touch it!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting responses, especially the last one, last line, and that's my point. Don't get me wrong, I like my GW Trike, but I do have these concerns about it breaking on the road. As mentioned, I had the dreaded red light on a road trip, called a a shop as close as I could find, these people not only would not touch it, were rude and inconsiderate, told me to call another shop many miles 'yonder'. Well, just I just didn't forget it. Did I get it home, sure I did, but I just had to ignore the red light hoping I'd get it home and not harm the engine.....Cut the pleasure ride short, did a U turn, head south and worry that the thing would not just quit the next 500 miles. Thanks to you all that commented.

Spyder Garage

You will love a Spyder. I am an old guy who has ridden lots of two and three wheelers. When it is time to go to three wheels, so far the only choice is Can Am Spyders. I am on my 4th RTL. Conventonal trikes handle like shiny chrome plated log trucks. RTLs are Sports Cars with handlebars ��
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Hey bikerbillone! I know you from the Trike Talk site, I'm Ozarkryder over there, too. We still have our '04 Champion trike, and have toured from SW MO to Minnesota, Iowa, Maggie Valley SC, Texas and such. We usually did 600 - 700 miles a day and the Wing has been pretty solid. We found many Honda dealers also deal with trikes - with the aging of motorcyclists there are more trikes, so more dealers that sell and know trikes. The few times we have needed service we have been able to find a dealer who would service at least the Honda portion of the ride. They usually said unless they sold a conversion brand they wouldn't work on the trike kit portion, so we usually tried to find a Handa dealer that also was a Champion dealer. That said, it is comforting to know most, if not all Can Am dealers will work on the Spyder and have access to tools, downloads and help from Can Am if needed. It seems Spyders have become very reliable, and with the new Goldwings out the Honda dealers that want to work on older 1800's will decrease. (Try to find a dealer that will work on a GL1800 these days.) I'll have no qualms about taking the RTL far from home.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes Ozark, that's me, I'm still over there on TrikeTalk, there's an occassional Canam post over there, but primarily Hrley as you know. By the way, I'm planning on the Maggie Valley ride in this year if all the planets work as they should it's in September as usual, come join the crowd. Thanks for your comments on the Spyder, you are one of the fortunate riders that can pick and choose which scoot you ride for the journey Which one gets the most miles, that answer tells a lot without going in the aspects of the ride comparision, I'd guess the RTL. Did a test ride on the RTL, it was short, but the wife did love the comfort and suspension.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have heard about the Honda if they were converted nobody wants to touch them. Unless its related to the rear end why would they not make a repair?

Anyway Bill after 34k the only issue I had was a DESS module other than that its been a dream ride compared to my old TRI. Still a Harley guy at Heart but had to move on. Glad I did as I have more time to ride now..

Believe you already test drove a Spyder and think you liked it are you getting closer to make the jump??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mutha, you are always good over these many months about responding.....You know, sitting here at the PC, the wife and I were discussing this very subject in detail. We've had other things going on so we had to put the 'discussion' on hold. So not sure are any closer to pulling the trigger, but back to the subject matter :>) We will scout out again the local dealer to do the touch, smell and feel thing on the RTL. I hear the local shop is not that great, maybe true, maybe not, but nothing's perfect and I prefer not to ride 'yonder' to get service and go through the 'wait or return' hassle. As I recall, the sales guy told me on the last visit that there's this $1K investment that will get me 3 years of service, so maybe that's an option. Then at 86 years, how many riding years do I have left to justify a purchase, or maybe an RTL would extend my riding years. Lots to think about, Lord knows I've done a ton of homework. Folks on this forum seem to be quite willing to share their thoughts, that's a real plus, those that have been there done that is the always the best information.

Spyder Garage

The spyder rides so much smoother vs my 2006 GW.

I needed to run the tire psi at max for better tire wear on the GW and no more SHOCK to the wrist over sharp cracks on the road.

Prices swing a lot so do your homework, I did and drove 200 miles one way since the dealer 19 miles from me wouldn't work with me.

One thing I never noticed was when I bought it the sales person stated in an emergency stop in a turn a conventional trike will want to flip the spyder design would not.
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Bikerbillone
    Not really pertinent to the GW trike conversation, but at 80 myself I see the writing on the wall as regards my future riding years. Was giving very serious consideration to trading my '08 GS in for a Ryker. Decided not to & continue on with the Spyder for my last couple of years or so. Keep the $ for the kids & grandkids.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, bluewoo, I've noticed that about pricing, wow 200 miles, that's a stretch.....so do you also ride 200 miles for service, or do it yourself? Your sales guy probably gave you good information about the 'flip' thing. My Road Smith will easily lift one rear wheel when cornering, doesn't mean it's gonna flip, but indicates it can be done.

Spyder Garage

I had a "conventional" converted trike and had 60K miles on it, then I bought my first Spyder (2017 F3-Ltd). Breakdowns happen on the road, twice on the conversion (had to call dealers to find our who would be willing to work on a conversion, because some don't even if it was an engine problem). Pushing 20K on the F3 so far, no problems so far (except I forced it unto "limp mode" that I didn't know how to get out of, then my wife pulled up on her Spyder and told me what to do and to quit riding like a race car driver!). Wife has had 3 Spyders, 2010 RT, 2014 RT and 2016 F3-T. with no problems and loves them.
    This is my take on the comparison.........My conventional trike was my Cadillac and my Spyder is my Corvette.......oh, yes, I like my Corvette better!

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Juice, yes I remember you in that lovely Hot Springs community.

Spyder Garage

Im very stubborn with things like this and it was the very next day I did the drive to leesburg,Virginia after my local dealer shot me down!

No I don't go to leesburg for repairs, I'm lucky enough to have one of the best repair shop for spyders. Can Am of Windber
    My DPS failed out of the trailer same day so going back to Virginia was not an option.

Great 50 miles over the Pa mountains!

Capture.jpg
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Mutha, you are always good over these many months about responding.....You know, sitting here at the PC, the wife and I were discussing this very subject in detail. We've had other things going on so we had to put the 'discussion' on hold. So not sure are any closer to pulling the trigger, but back to the subject matter :>) We will scout out again the local dealer to do the touch, smell and feel thing on the RTL. I hear the local shop is not that great, maybe true, maybe not, but nothing's perfect and I prefer not to ride 'yonder' to get service and go through the 'wait or return' hassle. As I recall, the sales guy told me on the last visit that there's this $1K investment that will get me 3 years of service, so maybe that's an option. Then at 86 years, how many riding years do I have left to justify a purchase, or maybe an RTL would extend my riding years. Lots to think about, Lord knows I've done a ton of homework. Folks on this forum seem to be quite willing to share their thoughts, that's a real plus, those that have been there done that is the always the best information.
    Not sure if they still have it but dont they come with a 2 or 3 year warranty already included. Then if you want to extend it before the term is over you can add two more years?

Or was that only on certain models years EX; 2014? Now I have to look..

Its up to you Bill and Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Spyder Garage

I have never owned a conventional trike but I am on my second Spyder. Between my two Spyders I have ridden almost 63,000 miles with never a breakdown. And I average over 12,000 miles per year. I loved my first Spyder, a ‘13 ST-S. Then a friend suggested I try an F3-S and I had to have it. If you decide on a Spyder I don’t think you will be disappointed.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Aha, the repair Gods are with you, that is a very good feeling. I see you have the Madstad, me too, bout 50 miles from me in Brooksville, I like it.

Spyder Garage

I'll have to agree with the Spyder being a welll built machine. After a 13 RT and a 15 RT to a 16F3t
    In 5 years and over 60k miles I can only think of good things to say about BRP and Can-Am.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Honda GW has the Gold Book & BMW has a similar book. These books are published annually. Members can volunteer contact information and what they are willing to do for fellow riders. Anything from a cup of coffee to a trailer to a full out shop. Some even offer a place to camp. Does the Spyder community have anything like this? Even if it is online only would be beneficial to members.

Just my 2 cents.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both joined GWRRA 2 yrs. ago and now are even officers in the local GWRRA chapter, even though we both ride Spyders! They love having us in the chapter because we are riders and doers. We have several different makes of bikes in our chapter (Harley/BMW/Spyder/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Suzuki and even 2 large cc Vespas). We have as many Spyders on our GWRRA runs as we do GWs (and usually we have more). We love the folks in the chapter and lover having the "extras" that GWRRA provides it's membership (you don't have to own a Honda to join GWRRA). That being said, we don't mind CanAm not having an ownership club/group, as we get everything we need from GWRRA. I know this sounds like an ad for GWRRA, but it's our experience since moving here to Arkansas and looking for some riders to ride with. We are members of US Spyder Ryders-Central Arkansas as well, but they are not as well organized as GWRRA.
    That's my 2 cents........well, maybe 10 cents.......

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

I’ve heard of problems getting service on any heavily modified bike including trikes and choppers. There are also negative comments regarding all Service Agencies as well as sales. Personally I have found that if you maintain equipment properly and treat the dealers fairly, you will get decently. Do your homework, study all comments and use your common sense.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents