Spyder Garage

Default 2-up spring weights

For my Ryker 900 original spring, I had it set at 5 (max) because I was going to ride once in a while with a passenger. I had the Ryker 2-up spring installed, and the dealer set it at 3. Does anyone know what the weight limits are for the stock spring compared with the 2-up one? Should I have ALSO set the 2-up spring to the max (5)? I can't seem to find weight suggestions for the 2-up spring. The stock one is in the manual though.

Spyder Garage

I've been wondering the same thing. Great question!
    2019 900 ACE , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
    For my Ryker 900 original spring, I had it set at 5 (max) because I was going to ride once in a while with a passenger. I had the Ryker 2-up spring installed, and the dealer set it at 3. Does anyone know what the weight limits are for the stock spring compared with the 2-up one? Should I have ALSO set the 2-up spring to the max (5)? I can't seem to find weight suggestions for the 2-up spring. The stock one is in the manual though.
    Did you notice any improvement between the stock and 2 springs. I am thinking about the 2 up or the Fox rear spring. I have the 900 ace.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-08-2020 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Hi all ref two up Spring ,see my comment regards Nico 75

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nico75 View Post
    Hi all ref two up Spring ,see my comment regards Nico 75
    See what comment where?

Spyder Garage

Hi I just replyed to someone's? Ref springing sorry do a search. Regards Nico 75

Spyder Garage

A spring is set correctly when the suspension settles by no more than 1/3 of its travel with the rider or riders seated.

1) Have someone lift the rear of the seat, or use a jack, to fully extend the suspension.

2) Measure the vertical distance from the top of the tire to the underside of the passenger seat/max mount.

3) On a standard Ryker the rear suspension travel is around 5" - 1/3 of this is about 1 3/4"

4) Seat rider and take the new measurement distance - it should be around 1 3/4" less than the previous measurement.. Adjust preload to correct this measurement.

5) If carrying a passenger seat both rider and passenger and again adjust the preload so that the suspension compression is about 1 3/4" less than the fully extended distance.

Yes, it could take three people to check this, but it works and is accurate.

This works for any motorcycle, two or three wheels.
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    A spring is set correctly when the suspension settles by no more than 1/3 of its travel with the rider or riders seated.

1) Have someone lift the rear of the seat, or use a jack, to fully extend the suspension.

2) Measure the vertical distance from the top of the tire to the underside of the passenger seat/max mount.

3) On a standard Ryker the rear suspension travel is around 5" - 1/3 of this is about 1 3/4"

4) Seat rider and take the new measurement distance - it should be around 1 3/4" less than the previous measurement.. Adjust preload to correct this measurement.

5) If carrying a passenger seat both rider and passenger and again adjust the preload so that the suspension compression is about 1 3/4" less than the fully extended distance.

Yes, it could take three people to check this, but it works and is accurate.

This works for any motorcycle, two or three wheels.
    I jacked up my 900 Ace that had the 2 up spring installed and I have slightly over 6 1/2 in between the bottom of the max mount and the top of the fender so it would likely be over 7 in to the top of the tire. I adjusted the shock so that when I am on it I have about 2/3rds of that amount. Not sure if the 2 up spring adds any static height but your measurements seem off at 5”.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    I jacked up my 900 Ace that had the 2 up spring installed and I have slightly over 6 1/2 in between the bottom of the max mount and the top of the fender so it would likely be over 7 in to the top of the tire. I adjusted the shock so that when I am on it I have about 2/3rds of that amount. Not sure if the 2 up spring adds any static height but your measurements seem off at 5”.
    Just Sayin' But the last post in this thread (the post you 'replied' to) is a little over 16 months old....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!