Thread: Tire pressure?

Spyder Garage

Default Tire pressure?

I have a 2014 rts. Just put 2 federals on front and General rt 43 on rear. I weigh around 250. I ride single 80% of the time. All tires are stock sizes. What pressures do you think front and rear. Thanks

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

what feels best to you is what you should run. For me 18 lbs. front 22 lbs. back. I'm a speed limit kind of guy easy going rider.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I don't wanna come off as a jerk, and I see this is only your 17th post....but there is a "Search" tab up in the right hand corner that if you type in "tire pressure" and then "Enter" you can read about tire pressure til your eyes bleed. The search tool is awesome for pretty much anything you wanna know or research. And, when you ask for opinions, you're gonna get bombarded...LOL..by "opinions". Some factual, some bs. But since you asked...I have stock crappy Kendas on front and I keep them about 18psi. I have a General Altimax car tire on the back, and I keep that at about 18 psi too....but, that's just my opinion...or "What I think"....make some pressure adjustments and see what suits your riding style
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Steelerman, with car tyres, there are riders running them at 30psi with no issues who are happy, and there are riders running them at 16psi with no issues who are happy. One rider actually ran at 10psi, accidentally, with no issues, but that’s not recommended. I started with mine at 24psi all round, and gradually lowered them until I found 18psi all round as the best combination for my riding style, with even wear. I tip the scales at 310lbs. The point is, you can run them anywhere in that range that best suits your style without fear of damage. Have a read of some of the threads that Mazo has mentioned above, and you will get a better picture.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

19 front

25 rear this season..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

17/18 PSI all the way around. I weigh 155/160 and when I chalk the tread I get a very even wear pattern on each tire.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

You can start with the recommended pressure for your model spyder then adjust for the best handling for your style of ryde. I run 17 lbs up front and 27lbs in the rear. I don't have car tires but car tires are harder and heavier for the weight of the car. Your spyder weighs much less so you don't need a lot of air pressure.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steelerman View Post
    I have a 2014 rts. Just put 2 federals on front and General rt 43 on rear. I weigh around 250. I ride single 80% of the time. All tires are stock sizes. What pressures do you think front and rear. Thanks
    For the tires you stated 16 psi front 18 psi rear...…. The reasons I say these are best would take you an hour to read and me 5 hrs of typing ….. The reasons haven't changed much in the past 5 years and has been explained on this Forum by me and Peter Aawen ……. good luck ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

I have tried a few different pressures and find that 18 in all three tires works best for me. I tried 16 and as low as 14 in the front but the steering was just a little heavy for me. So, I bumped them up to 18 and they are good. After 17K miles I cannot detect any unusual wear and lots of life left in all 3 tires..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the info.