Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tax question

Spyder Garage

Default A tax question

Now please, don't let this turn into political pandemonium. It is strictly a finance question.

I have been lead to believe we got a federal tax cut. But yesterday while doing my taxes I noticed the individual deduction was removed. So the government guy is handing us money at the same time another one picks our pocket. So my question is, when it all come down to the bottom line, did we get a tax cut?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Yup! I went from two years of $1,100 refunds to owing $680 this year. The tax cut did not work for me. No great changes to my finances either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi Rogue Hawk,

Re: did we get a tax cut?

In a word: No

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, you got the best tax cut ever from the most beautiful tax legislation ever passed and it was all done in record time by the most fabulous administration that has ever resided in the WH. LOL This will probably be pulled.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Yup! I went from two years of $1,100 refunds to owing $680 this year. The tax cut did not work for me. No great changes to my finances either.
    Yes, this is the first time in all the years I have been filing taxes I end up owing money. The tax guy I go to said many people are in the same boat.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

you should check your payroll deductions for exemptions. I found mine had changed from 0 to 1, so while I was getting more money in my paycheck, I ended up having to pay $900 instead of getting a refund
    2016 RT Limited , stock yes red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    So the government guy is handing us money at the same time another one picks our pocket.

So my question is, when it all come down to the bottom line, did we get a tax cut?
    Nothing new with that first statement.

Yes, my income was almost exactly the same and my total tax was less.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That probably has more to do with the withholding tables than with the actual tax rates.
    Was the total tax owed more or less this year ?

Spyder Garage

I too didn't have any great changes to my finances; but, I went from owing around a $1000 in years past to the feds owning me $69.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We always claim "0" and add to our deductions so we never end up owing, and we always get a refund. However this year our refund will be smaller by several hundred dollars. So in short, we did not see a tax cut.

Spyder Garage

I made no changes to my withholdings, so enjoyed a little bit extra each pay period. Now...it does not matter. No more employment income.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For me, there was no real tax cut. My gross taxable income dropped by about $11,000 and my total tax owed dropped about $1,200, which is about what my incremental tax rate is. I went from over $30,000 in deductions plus exemptions in 2017 to $26,600 standard deduction. One thing that helped is I took some of my Mandatory Required Distribution from an IRA as a Qualified Charitable Deduction to my church. Had I not done that I would have been stung by several hundred dollars.

If you have to take an RMD out of an IRA, and like to donate to charity, check out the QCD option. Your donation does not count as income to you, but it satisfies the RMD.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glorybiz View Post
    you should check your payroll deductions for exemptions. I found mine had changed from 0 to 1, so while I was getting more money in my paycheck, I ended up having to pay $900 instead of getting a refund
    I don't know if the change in withholding was a blatant move by the administration to stealthily glorify the supposed tax cut, or a gross miscalculation by them as to what the net result would be for most people. Either one is plausible IMO.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Mine went down. My tax rate fell, and I got a small refund. Don’t look at refund size. If you withheld too much, you get a big refund of your own money. Look at the tax rate, and look at deductions. Then adjust your withholding accordingly.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Lot's of folks complaining about their tax refunds this year because they didn't notice that their monthly take home pay bumped up. They enjoyed getting more monthly or twice monthly checks, but now are not happy that they ended up owing a bit. My wife's the office manager/bookeeper for a local company and really paid attention to the withholding change and adjusted ours appropriately. We got more back this year than last. She's getting a new Yamaha SMAX to replace her 11 year old C3.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Taxes

Taxes seem to Always have the bad Deal. Nobody wants to pay them, but everyone enjoys the Benefits. HAVE A NICE WEEKEND....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    However this year our refund will be smaller by several hundred dollars. So in short, we did not see a tax cut.
    WHY......do SO many people try to measure their taxes by the amount of refund they get ?????

Those are two different things.

Compare the total tax owed from multiple years returns.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    WHY......do SO many people try to measure their taxes by the amount of refund they get ?????

Those are two different things.

Compare the total tax owed from multiple years returns.
    Yup. That's the true apples-to-apples bottom line.
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Yup. That's the true apples-to-apples bottom line.
    For me, a perfect situation is to have NO refund and OWE no tax at the end of the year. That means I am paying the appropriate amount for my income as I go..... The only way to determine tax increase/reduction is to look at total GROSS income and total tax paid year over year. If your income changes significantly, your tax bracket will too. Other events and personal changes, such as retirement, RMD, deductions, ETC. will have an effect tax liability. The amount of tax owed or refund due is only one component of your actual tax liability. It does not reflect reality..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not wanting to insult anybody here but the same people who "measure" their taxes by the amount of their refund probably are the same ones who think they got a great deal on a new car.........because their monthly payments are so low.

Spyder Garage

Happily, not all of us. For instance, mine were just comparisons with the previous two years. Most years prior, I had to pay. And most people on here are smarter than you think.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And most people on here are smarter than you think.
    Maybe. But as time goes along, it is becoming painfully obvious that people in general are WAY more stupid than I had ever imagined.

Won't go into why......because that is way off topic.

Spyder Garage

I changed my deduction to 0. They are withholding less. It created an allusion that we got a better cut than we actually did.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

According to Motley Fool, the tax rates have been lowered and the standard deduction has been almost doubled, but the personal exemption has been eliminated. For a married couple filing jointly in 2017, two exemptions x $4150 plus $13K standard deduction meant that $21,300 would be excluded from tax. For 2018, there would be a straight $24,000 standard deduction. Therefore if you are in this situation (as many of us are), you would actually be $2700 better off, plus presumably lower tax rates as well.

As always, you can benefit from itemizing deductions if you have more itemized deductions than the standard deduction. However, since in my example the standard deduction is now $24,000 for married filing jointly versus $13,000 last year, this means that many people will now be unable to itemize. In addition, there are more limitations on what can be itemized.

Self-employed persons with "pass-through income" (sole proprietorships, LLCs, partnerships, and S corporations) get to deduct 20% of their income off the top. Quoting Motley Fool, "In other words, if you own a small business and it generates $100,000 in profit in 2018, you'll be able to deduct $20,000 of it before the ordinary income tax rates are applied." If you are a doctor or other self-employed professional who earns a lot of money, this is huge. Any time you can deduct 20% of your income off the top, that's a huge tax break. In addition, the child tax credit now is available to persons who have up to $400,000 in income, whereas previously it phased out at $110,000. I expect sales of Mercedes-Benz and yacht sales to increase substantially.

One reason why you might get a smaller refund and/or might owe money would be the fact that the tax withholding rates were reduced last year. Withholding is NOT the same as your tax, it's just an estimate. If less money was withheld, you got more money in your paycheck during the year but of course that means your refund may be smaller when you actually file. Or you may owe, too.

https://www.fool.com/taxes/2017/12/2...x-changes.aspx
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I changed my deduction to 0. They are withholding less. It created an allusion that we got a better cut than we actually did.
    I guess you'll have to forego the new lunch box, currently.