Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Coast to Coast trip

Now that I finally retired my wife and I are planing one of our bucket list rides. We are starting in Newport Oregon at the intersection of 101 and Hwy. 20. There is a highway sign that reads BOSTON 3,365 miles. We leave the last week of May as Hwy. 20 goes through Yellowstone Park and the plan is to ride Hwy. 20 all the way. What I'm looking for is points of interest CLOSE to hwy 20 that does not mean long detours. If you fellow spyderlovers have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. This includes Tourist traps, Great Food places and Historical markers. We have ridden to and through Yellowstone 3 times in the last three years but once we get to Greybull WY. and head to Casper it's all new territory. Hwy. 20 goes through Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, Albany NY. Before ending at Fenway Park. We will return thru Niagara Falls heading west to Michigan so we can ride ride the tunnel of trees and across the Mackinac Bridge before heading to Door County to visit my 102 year old mother-in-law then down to Chicago again to start on Route 66 all the way to Santa Monica then 101 home. I have been on most of this route in bits and pieces as I have spent nearly 30 years as a traveling construction superintendent but my wife always stayed home and guarded the fort. We are planing on taking 2 1/2 - 3 months as when I was working it was always rush rush to the next site. Now we are planing on taking our sweet time, 200- 250 miles a day, no Iron butt rides this time out. So as I was saying if you have any points of interest, NEAR this route please feel free to pass them on. This trip is kind of sentimental for me as my dad did this on his Harley in 1937-1938 with his friend in a side car.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Looking forward to your own trip reports, keep us apprised, maybe we can meet and travel along, share a meal etc, along the way.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a great run ahead. Please keep us posted as you progress.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When you get by Sandusky Ohio, pm me. We’ll meet up and go to dinner. I’m about 15 miles south of us 20.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you’re ryding through the Sand Hills in North central Nebraska. When you get a chance to refuel, do it. Little towns are far apart.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Good luck and keep us informed with pictures
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

In the buffalo area, Niagara Falls is a must see. And, let me know we’d love to meet up and grab lunch as your passing through!
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

When you get to Pennsylvania let me know if you are coming across I-80 or the PA turn pike to the Northeast extension. Give me a shout, I would love to meet you and buy you and your wife a beer or maybe even dinner.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Have an awesome adventure. Enjoy summertime at your Door County stop and your trip through the U.P. and U.S. to get there. Keep us posted and ... Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up!

Spyder Garage

Easysuper....I'll occasionally make sure the Vista House remains in good condition while you're gone. And do periodic quality checks on the food at Shirley's, The Falls Lodge and Skamania Lodge.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    What I'm looking for is points of interest CLOSE to hwy 20 that does not mean long detours. If you fellow spyderlovers have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.
    Don't know what you would consider a "long detour" but if you haven't ridden the Beartooth Highway (212) and Chief Joseph Highway (WY 296) near the eastern part of Yellowstone, they are both major "bucket list" rides. You can do the loop of them from Cody, WY in under 4 hours. I stayed in Cody overnight, left at 8 AM in the morning to ride both of them, and was back in Cody by noon for lunch. Go north from Cody to Belfry then west to Red Lodge, then ride Beartooth (212) headed west (sun is over your shoulder and the scenery is spectacular). The when you turn southeast on WY 296 (Chief Joseph) the sun is high enough so you aren't being blinded by it anymore. More spectacular scenery. When you get back to 120 (north of Cody) it's a short ride back to Cody. Get lunch, gas up, and press on for the rest of the day on your trip. For only a 4-hour detour, they are well worth the time to ride them.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

We have done the Beartooth on all three trips to Deadwood, one time we stayed the weekend in Redlodge and rode back and forth all weekend. It is one of my all time favorite rides.
    When I was working I built the Buffalo Wild Wings in Gillette WY. and rode the black hills nearly every weekend and several rides over Beartooth. Thanks for mentioning it.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I spent 10 months building the Petro Travel Plaza in Carlisle and on one of my weekend rides I was down your way and ate at a Road House along the river that had some of the best peel and eat Shrimp I've ever had. cant remember where exactly but it was a real Dive Bar.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

We live 8 houses from rt 20 about 25 miles northeast of Cleveland. President Garfield's house is right on 20, in Cleveland you have the Rock Hall of fame a little further east is Geneva on the lake, Eddie's grill is a must stop. Painesville has riders tavern, good food some rooms to stay in, used to be a stop on the underground railroad.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Now that I finally retired my wife and I are planing one of our bucket list rides. We are starting in Newport Oregon at the intersection of 101 and Hwy. 20. There is a highway sign that reads BOSTON 3,365 miles. We leave the last week of May as Hwy. 20 goes through Yellowstone Park and the plan is to ride Hwy. 20 all the way. What I'm looking for is points of interest CLOSE to hwy 20 that does not mean long detours. If you fellow spyderlovers have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. This includes Tourist traps, Great Food places and Historical markers. We have ridden to and through Yellowstone 3 times in the last three years but once we get to Greybull WY. and head to Casper it's all new territory. Hwy. 20 goes through Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, Albany NY. Before ending at Fenway Park. We will return thru Niagara Falls heading west to Michigan so we can ride ride the tunnel of trees and across the Mackinac Bridge before heading to Door County to visit my 102 year old mother-in-law then down to Chicago again to start on Route 66 all the way to Santa Monica then 101 home. I have been on most of this route in bits and pieces as I have spent nearly 30 years as a traveling construction superintendent but my wife always stayed home and guarded the fort. We are planing on taking 2 1/2 - 3 months as when I was working it was always rush rush to the next site. Now we are planing on taking our sweet time, 200- 250 miles a day, no Iron butt rides this time out. So as I was saying if you have any points of interest, NEAR this route please feel free to pass them on. This trip is kind of sentimental for me as my dad did this on his Harley in 1937-1938 with his friend in a side car.
    is there a matching sign in Boston 3,365 miles to Newport?? want so see pics of both please

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Are you camping or hotelling it, or both? If hotel the first good place to stop, as you probably know, is Ontario, OR. I'd love to meet you there for breakfast at a great little mom & pop place called Plaza Inn. Then you'll pass within 2 blocks of my home when you get to Parma. In Parma is the Old Fort Boise Replica museum. There's also a monument down by the Snake River where the original Fort Boise was located. It was a trading post for the Hudson Bay company. In Boise the Idaho State Historical Museum has recently reopened after about a $17 million expansion and renovation. If you're camping, and your schedule suggests it, Parma has a nice little park at the Old Fort Boise Replica site.

Right on US 20 in the Idaho desert is the National Landmark EBR-I, Experimental Breeder Reactor I, where electricity was generated from nuclear power for the first time anywhere in the world. It's open Memorial Day to Labor Day. And before that there's the Craters of the Moon National Monument, which US 20 goes through, if you haven't toured it yet.

If you've never done it before, one good way to find historical places along the route is search for something like "museums near highway US 20" in Google Maps. You'll need to refresh the page as you pan the map from side to side. I've found lots of places I had no idea existed by searching this way.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You can do one Iron Butt Ride that is at your leisure. The National Park Tour, which is a natural for your cross country tour. 50 Parks, Memorials, Battlefields, affiliated sites and 25 states. http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/npt/

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    We live 8 houses from rt 20 about 25 miles northeast of Cleveland. President Garfield's house is right on 20, in Cleveland you have the Rock Hall of fame a little further east is Geneva on the lake, Eddie's grill is a must stop. Painesville has riders tavern, good food some rooms to stay in, used to be a stop on the underground railroad.
    Thanks for the tips, this is exactly what we're looking for.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    is there a matching sign in Boston 3,365 miles to Newport?? want so see pics of both please
    There is a matching sign, and we will make sure to take a photo.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Are you camping or hotelling it, or both? If hotel the first good place to stop, as you probably know, is Ontario, OR. I'd love to meet you there for breakfast at a great little mom & pop place called Plaza Inn. Then you'll pass within 2 blocks of my home when you get to Parma. In Parma is the Old Fort Boise Replica museum. There's also a monument down by the Snake River where the original Fort Boise was located. It was a trading post for the Hudson Bay company. In Boise the Idaho State Historical Museum has recently reopened after about a $17 million expansion and renovation. If you're camping, and your schedule suggests it, Parma has a nice little park at the Old Fort Boise Replica site.

Right on US 20 in the Idaho desert is the National Landmark EBR-I, Experimental Breeder Reactor I, where electricity was generated from nuclear power for the first time anywhere in the world. It's open Memorial Day to Labor Day. And before that there's the Craters of the Moon National Monument, which US 20 goes through, if you haven't toured it yet.

If you've never done it before, one good way to find historical places along the route is search for something like "museums near highway US 20" in Google Maps. You'll need to refresh the page as you pan the map from side to side. I've found lots of places I had no idea existed by searching this way.
    Weather permitting we will be camping out most of the time and if camping is allowed at the park in Parma we will camp there. Our first night will be in Bend as we have friends there and the Ontario area was our second stop. I am very familiar with hwy 20 all the way to Cody, as a kid my family would take a trip to Roundup MT. every summer to my grandparents and by my late teens I had been to Yellowstone 14 times, my dad loved road trips and would have us kids plan the route, teaching us geography without us ever realizing it. Last year on our way to Deadwood we stopped at EBR-1 , and somehow I managed to lose one of my gloves at the Craters of the Moon and by the time we got to Cody I had sunburned the heck out of my left hand.We will most definitely contact you when we are headed your way.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    You can do one Iron Butt Ride that is at your leisure. The National Park Tour, which is a natural for your cross country tour. 50 Parks, Memorials, Battlefields, affiliated sites and 25 states. http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/npt/

Willie
    Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into this.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

you told us everything about this trip...except what vehicle you are doing it on or in.
    Are you going to be on a Spyder? or a tour bus. just saying...
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

If you are seriously intending to ride only Rt.20 all the way, I might suggest a bypass when you get to Rockford, IL. I would not suggest you take Rt.20 all the way through Chicago and its suburbs. Terrible traffic, stop light after stop light, and as you start heading south from downtown Chicago you will pass through some areas where much care would need to be taken. Rt. 20 crosses I90 at Rockford. Jump on I90 and take it east to South Bend, IN, visit the University of Notre Dame, and pick up Rt.20 again headed east. Or, stay on I90 all the way to Toledo and then pick up I90 again. I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago, Lake in the Hills, and I am about 9 miles from Rt.20, just south & east of where Rt.20 goes through Marengo, IL. If I can be of any help when you come through the area, PM me and I'll give you my phone #. Have a great trip, and a safe ride.

Smile & be happy, don't take life too seriously….
    Life moves pretty fast. Don't miss it!
    2016 F3 Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    you told us everything about this trip...except what vehicle you are doing it on or in.
    Are you going to be on a Spyder? or a tour bus. just saying...
    The first sentence in my OP was our dream Bucket List Ride.(just saying) We both ride RT limited's, my bride for the last 44 years rides a 2015 now and I have a 2014. I pull a Aspen pop up trailer and she pulls a cargo trailer. I have ridden 2 wheels for over 50 years but she only started riding by herself 5 years ago when she bought her first Spyder as a retirement gift to herself. Her first year of riding she put 35,000 miles on her Spyder, not bad for a 65 year young lady.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjim View Post
    If you are seriously intending to ride only Rt.20 all the way, I might suggest a bypass when you get to Rockford, IL. I would not suggest you take Rt.20 all the way through Chicago and its suburbs. Terrible traffic, stop light after stop light, and as you start heading south from downtown Chicago you will pass through some areas where much care would need to be taken. Rt. 20 crosses I90 at Rockford. Jump on I90 and take it east to South Bend, IN, visit the University of Notre Dame, and pick up Rt.20 again headed east. Or, stay on I90 all the way to Toledo and then pick up I90 again. I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago, Lake in the Hills, and I am about 9 miles from Rt.20, just south & east of where Rt.20 goes through Marengo, IL. If I can be of any help when you come through the area, PM me and I'll give you my phone #. Have a great trip, and a safe ride.
    Thanks for the tip, We will mostly stick to Hwy 20 just so we can say we did it. I'm a little familiar with the Rockford area as I rebuilt the Oasis on 90 in Belvidere about 10 years ago and stayed in a campground on 20 just East of Belvidere. We are not super slab lovers and in no hurry and like to take the slow lane. I have criscrossed this great country time after time but always in a hurry to get from one job site to the next. I always tried to take a few weekends off and site-see and now I get to share some of the great places I only briefly had time to see. I'll PM you and hope we can meet up.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant