Thread: Utopia Backrest

Spyder Garage

Default Utopia Backrest

I received my new Utopia backrest yesterday and installed it right away. I am so very pleased with the match of the material with the OEM seat. The rest hasn't yet been fine tuned for my personal setting but I am really happy with the fit. I'm sure it will be a welcome addition on the upcoming rides.
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTSJohn View Post
    I received my new Utopia backrest yesterday and installed it right away. I am so very pleased with the match of the material with the OEM seat. The rest hasn't yet been fine tuned for my personal setting but I am really happy with the fit. I'm sure it will be a welcome addition on the upcoming rides.
    I've used a Utopia on every touring bike I've ever owned ….. It is very adjustable, except for one area …..The LUMBAR ….. What I learned to do was to TAPE a piece of wood ( or something similar ) ….. to the metal upright bracket. where the bottom edge of the backrest contacts the bracket ….. Depending on how thick the wood is, will determine how much of an Angle the backrest will stay at ….. this in no way will alter how the backrest functions..... it will just support your back better …......if you try this let us know how it feels ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Another vote for Utopia. Had one on my 2014 before I changed out the OEM seat.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hello everyone !!

Yes, a great product is the first thing I did when I got my RTL Spyder.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've used a Utopia on every touring bike I've ever owned ….. It is very adjustable, except for one area …..The LUMBAR ….. What I learned to do was to TAPE a piece of wood ( or something similar ) ….. to the metal upright bracket. where the bottom edge of the backrest contacts the bracket ….. Depending on how thick the wood is, will determine how much of an Angle the backrest will stay at ….. this in no way will alter how the backrest functions..... it will just support your back better …......if you try this let us know how it feels ….. Mike

It appears this fix would really assist "kicking" the lower edge of the backrest forward. After I test the fit I'll sure keep that in mind for a possible alteration. Thanks for sharing.
    2014 , yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTSJohn View Post
    It appears this fix would really assist "kicking" the lower edge of the backrest forward. After I test the fit I'll sure keep that in mind for a possible alteration. Thanks for sharing.
    Yes that's exactly what it does ….. Some cars/trks have adjustable lumbar supports built into the seat/s …. tilting the backrest so it supplies pressure ( constantly ) will the backrest way more comfortable … plus you can easily make the angle ( ie pressure felt ) to what makes your back happy...………...Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yes that's exactly what it does ….. Some cars/trks have adjustable lumbar supports built into the seat/s …. tilting the backrest so it supplies pressure ( constantly ) will the backrest way more comfortable … plus you can easily make the angle ( ie pressure felt ) to what makes your back happy...………...Mike
    i did what mike is talking about too. pieces of paint stir sticks and electric tape. think i learned it from him,
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    i did what mike is talking about too. pieces of paint stir sticks and electric tape. think i learned it from him,
    ..... that might be a start point …… The size of the block / spacer needed is going to be different for different folks, so I suggest you make up a bunch of blocks in different thicknesses number them #1 to #5 ….. tape one on and go from there until you find the one that feels best ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

A couple of 100 mile plus rides and the back rest is performing very well indeed. I find that Blueknight911 and others are right on the money about adjusting the lumbar function to apply more support on the lower back section. I attached a 3/8 inch block today and will give that a test on Fr.iday's ride. I have prepared some 1/8" pieces to add more if required. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like the lower support change but I am really pleased with the backrest so far. Thank all you guys for the suggestions
    2014 , yes Pearl White