Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default My Ryker low fuel indicator is puzzling

So the low fuel light came on and there were no more bars on the fuel level gauge. So I pulled in to fill up. I put in 2.3 gallons, that is all it would take. Started up and the fuel gauge read full. But wait, the fuel capacity is 5.26 gallons. So that means it's reporting low fuel with almost 3 gallons still in the tank. WTH?

Anyone else experience this? When is that light suppose to come on?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

The can-am ryker gas gauge does Not start showing any level until the gas tank is half empty. My ryker it did not start dropping untili had 75 miles on the trike. At 150 miles i got the low fuel warning light. The first time when it started to move i stopped in a gas station and filled up. I put 2.5 gallons in. On another trip i did not put gas in until the low warning light came on. It took 4.4 gallons this time. I should have been able to go another 35 miles before running out. I would have the dealer check the fuel gauge on your trike. Or watchyour mileage and see how much gas it takes when you drive say 70-75 miles. then another time see if you can drive 150 miles to see if the low warning light comes on. I get a average of 36 mpg in eco mode and 32-33 mpg in sport mode so far. I have 600 miles on my ryker.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by srx660 View Post
    The can-am ryker gas gauge does Not start showing any level until the gas tank is half empty. My ryker it did not start dropping untili had 75 miles on the trike. At 150 miles i got the low fuel warning light. The first time when it started to move i stopped in a gas station and filled up. I put 2.5 gallons in. On another trip i did not put gas in until the low warning light came on. It took 4.4 gallons this time. I should have been able to go another 35 miles before running out. I would have the dealer check the fuel gauge on your trike. Or watchyour mileage and see how much gas it takes when you drive say 70-75 miles. then another time see if you can drive 150 miles to see if the low warning light comes on. I get a average of 36 mpg in eco mode and 32-33 mpg in sport mode so far. I have 600 miles on my ryker.
    FYI - I am getting 50.4 MPG on my 600.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My low fuel light came on today about 130 miles and had about 30 something miles left. I think I had 1 bar on my fuel gauge. I will fill up tomorrow to check mileage. ���� cueman

Spyder Garage

Gone are the days where you could take the gas cap off and wiggle the bike side to side to hear how much gas was sloshing around in the tank.

Spyder Garage

Per the manual I have, states "Low fuel remaining light should come on with approx 1 gallon left". Mine did not come off full till I had around 75 miles on the bike, now it seems like every few miles another bar goes down.

Spyder Garage

I never pay any attention to the gauge, just reset 'Trip A' and use it. I usually fill up early but if you want to push it a little, just figure using the lowest mpg you've gotten. Much more reliable.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

Hi poli its i what I have found fill up / reset trip and remember the mileage you can do on same amount of petrol ( riding at same speeds ) fuel gauge is crap Regards Nico 75

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Gone are the days where you could take the gas cap off and wiggle the bike side to side to hear how much gas was sloshing around in the tank.

Stvev McQueen "The Great Escape."
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson

Spyder Garage

The fuel level sensor and gauge display can be calibrated in BUDS. But good luck getting a dealer to go through the procedure to do it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I'm getting such widely vacillating #s I fill up early just to make sure I'm not left hiking for gas. One example: 126mi used 4.1 gal of premium but the next day 124mi used 3.3 gal. Big difference. The variables were a small difference in ambient temp and my technique in pumping. I'd guess the second is the cause but I don't know what I might do differently.
    CENTAUR

edit: may not be obvious but my meaning was that one can't believe fuel gage, "autonomy" OR EVEN actual calculation of mpg so might end up walking. (I don't care as I love this critter!)
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson

Spyder Garage

This sounds like a bug. After I filled up all the bars were full. I went another 25 miles and half the bars on the fuel gauge were gone.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    This sounds like a bug. After I filled up all the bars were full. I went another 25 miles and half the bars on the fuel gauge were gone.
    That's weird! I went many miles, and I still had full bars. Then after that, bars dropped like a rock.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a quirk of the Ryker. Keep posting about yours...and we will get the pattern eventually.

Meanwhile...use one of the mileage gauges, set to zero at each fill up and you should get a better feel from that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Owners manual states that due to irregular shape of gas tank, expect the gas gauge to not drop until a considerable amount of gas is burned up.

Spyder Garage

My gas gauge works OK. For the first 75 miles, it doesn't move. Then it just starts removing bars. When I get to about 40 miles to empty, it reports "LOW FUEL". At 20 miles to empty, the lower portion of the screen goes blank (I always have it sitting on Autonomy so I can monitor MTE). I consistently get 165 miles to the tank. My fill ups average 4.5 gallons. This has been the case for over 2200 miles.

I would have your gauge checked.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Spyder Garage

Hi all ref Ryker so called fuel gauge I think it's rubbish no true readings at all . Answer reset trip every time you fill up and keep a check on mileage regards Nico 75

Spyder Garage

I had one line on my gas gauge today and filled it up. With that one line and how much it took I had 1.5 gallons left.

Spyder Garage

My .03 (inflation): I put 143.3 miles on my Rally last weekend. MTE said 73 miles remaining. So I 'filled up' with 4.22 gallons. Now the MTE shows 120 miles! And I've never seen a 'fuel light.' I have about 900 miles on mine now, averaging about 33-34 in regular mode (but the AVG MPG reading shows less than that, around 30-32.) I also reset the AVG MPG when I fill up just cause I can. My experience tells me I should look for fuel at about 150 miles regardless of the fuel gauge or MTE. Only a few of my many motorcycles have had fuel gauges and I didn't trust ANY of them. I liked the old days of a fuel petcock with a reserve setting!

Spyder Garage

This should not happen on a new bike. BRP has had years to correct all the inaccurate fuel gauge issues. Everyone should start making them fix the issue instead of just accepting it. If not then they will never fix it.

Spyder Garage

They won't fix things coz folks keeping going back to buy another one, faults and all, so why bother.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CENTAUR View Post
    I'm getting such widely vacillating #s I fill up early just to make sure I'm not left hiking for gas. One example: 126mi used 4.1 gal of premium but the next day 124mi used 3.3 gal. Big difference. The variables were a small difference in ambient temp and my technique in pumping. I'd guess the second is the cause but I don't know what I might do differently.
    CENTAUR

edit: may not be obvious but my meaning was that one can't believe fuel gage, "autonomy" OR EVEN actual calculation of mpg so might end up walking. (I don't care as I love this critter!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    I don't think it's JUST a Ryker thing, that's pretty much what my 2013 RT gauge & low fuel warning light does & has done from the set to!! And just to add to the frustration, it can (& does!) read OK sometimes, but that's really a fairly random occurrence!! So while I originally thought it might be something sticking on my particular Spyder & possibly a few others, I've since found out that more than just a few other Spyders regardless of age have the same or a similar pretty randomly 'sorta orright' fuel gauge & low fuel warning light, altho the inaccurate gauge issues & only the innacurate gauge issues were largely addressed in 2014!

So it's really gotta be a fault or dodgy bit of code in their gauge or dash somewhere, and YES, it is something that they've been aware of since at least 2010 so they have had plenty of time to fix it properly!! They did make some significant improvements in gauge reliability & accuracy when they bought out the 1330 in 2014, but it seems they still didn't fix the random low fuel warning light.... and now it seems Rykers have inherited both aspects of the problem too!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2019 at 01:45 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I love the System !! I just want to know how much miles I could ride till the tank is empty - thats changing very often depending how I ride and it works perfect (2.300 miles on my 900 Std) so I ride most time 170 - 190 miles till the next fill up - and NO I do not reset after each fill up ..
    mine one works perfect in this way - there must be something rong on yours - try to make a complete RESET if that is possible ??
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

The last two times I put gas on mine the gauge had like half the bear on, said 65ish miles to empty but one filled up with 4.3 gallons and the other with 3.9. I haven't seen the low fuel light yet.

Spyder Garage

Like others, my fuel gauge did not drop until I put a lot of miles on it, and then it dropped fast. I have not seen the low fuel light. I had 150 miles on it and one bar when I filled it up. I put over 4 gals in it. I am used to resetting the trip on every fill up on my car, so this practice transferred also to the Ryker. I have never put much stock in fuel gauges. My Harley has an analogue gauge and it is always wrong. I know because I ran it down to empty and still pumped out over a gallon. I had to empty the tank when shipping it overseas from one continent to another. Oh, and my Harley DOES have a low fuel warning light and it does light up for me when low.