Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Interference from Fog Lights

I have a 2017 F3Limited and just recently had a bunch of LED's installed on my bike. The list includes, LED headlights, LED fog lights with halo ring, both A-arms LED's, Slyclops LED under front truck lid, full view turn signal LED's, LED's on rear which a run/brake /turn and fender LED's.

Now here is the problem. With the fog lights off my radio functions normally but as soon as I turn the fog lights on I can not hear the radio. Anybody have this same problem and know of a cure?

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Interesting. I just recently added the LED fog lights with the ring lights and LED headlight. My radio reception in now crappy like there's a lot of interference. Didn't notice if it was worse when I turned the fog lights on. Hmm, have to look at that when I get home in a couple of weeks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I posted about this problem last year ….. Put LED's in my Toyt trk and lost most of my radio reception …… Then discovered the LED's I had purchased fro ******* caused the same problem on my 2014 RT ….. I told Reggie about it and He gave me a set ( His newest version ) to re-place them ….. Those gave no problems …… I recently bought some very high power four-sided LED's ( 9005 & 9006 ) on E-bay..... No interference from those …. However when I first turned them on - NOTHING … no lights at all …. I finally turned the plugs around which reversed the polarity - BINGO - they are extremely bright and still no interference …. the Seller refunded me 50% for solving the problem ...………. So be warned some LED's will cause radio interference …… good luck …. Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

LEDs are notorious for putting out RF noise. Cheap Chinese knock-offs are most likely the worst offenders. IMO, the Spyder wiring does a great job of carrying RF noise all around the system, so anything that emits RF noise is going to be problematic. The radio on my 14 RT is clear as a bell if I shut the motor off using the kill switch. Turn motor back on and the radio is mushy.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I just bought lamonsters led headlights and foglamps. Haven't installed yet. Are they going to interfere with my radio reception.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Sometimes, wrapping the black boxes (can't think of their name) in aluminum foil works.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Contact the company that sold you the LEDs to see if they can help.

One (or more) of the replacement interior LEDs I put in my RV interfere with the TV sometimes when watching "off the air" stations.

Spyder Garage

When attaching the ballast, or whatever it's called, don't allow it to contact ANY metal!!! That's what's causing the interference. I bought LED headlight bulbs and turn signal bulbs (resulting in Hyper Flashing)for my Dodge PU and it really messed ( up the CANBUS. Try using a OBD2 reader to reset the CANBUS to accept the LEDs. Also, the wires into the LEDs were backwards, Brights on low beam and Low Beam on Bright switch. Just pull the pins and swap them. Are we having fun yet?
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    When attaching the ballast, or whatever it's called, don't allow it to contact ANY metal!!! That's what's causing the interference. I bought LED headlight bulbs and turn signal bulbs (resulting in Hyper Flashing)for my Dodge PU and it really messed ( up the CANBUS. Try using a OBD2 reader to reset the CANBUS to accept the LEDs. Also, the wires into the LEDs were backwards, Brights on low beam and Low Beam on Bright switch. Just pull the pins and swap them. Are we having fun yet?
    " Just pull the pins and SWAP them " .. … the Pins are attached to wires molded into the housing , swapping them won't change the polarity in the plug ……. Also I've had the Ballast apart , the actual part is buried in Non-conductive material annnnnnnnnnnnd the entire housing is Plastic which is non-conductive ……. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " Just pull the pins and SWAP them " ..
    Maybe he is working with a different model "kit" than you are.
    Just maybe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Maybe he is working with a different model "kit" than you are.
    Just maybe.
    ……….. I've changed Dozens of headlight/lamps ...halogen and led …. the attachment plugs are of a Standard type …… please show a pic of one that is different …. I've never encountered one ………… bad info in - bad info out …………..Mike

Spyder Garage

I have Lamonts LED headlight, and fog lights. They will interfere with the radio. Mine are doing that. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ……….. I've changed Dozens of headlight/lamps ...halogen and led …. the attachment plugs are of a Standard type …… please show a pic of one that is different …. I've never encountered one ………… bad info in - bad info out …………..Mike
    The LEDs I used are from *******. There is a connector between the ballast and the plug that goes into the bulb that is reversible.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

WHAT? Reggy's company name is censored???

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

No noise on mine!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I purchased a Boss amplifier with FM. When I turn on the (Lamonster) LED fog lights the FM disappears yet I can play my MP3 without a problem. Can anybody offer a solution?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by palover View Post
    I purchased a Boss amplifier with FM. When I turn on the (Lamonster) LED fog lights the FM disappears yet I can play my MP3 without a problem. Can anybody offer a solution?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Use a resister.
    Deanna

What value resister and wattage and where did you install it? Share your information.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Would be good info to have and may solve my problem

Spyder Garage

We share the same problem, I cannot listen to my radio with Lamonts LED fog lights. Did you ever find a cure??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    What value resister and wattage and where did you install it? Share your information.
    Actually, you're looking for a capacitor

RADIO NOISE CAPACITOR CONDENSER UNIVERSAL .5MFD FOR RADIO NOISE INTERFERENCE

Spyder Garage

If F3s, YES!!

Spyder Garage

Where do I purchase this .5MFD capacitor and where is it connected?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The LEDs I used are from *******. There is a connector between the ballast and the plug that goes into the bulb that is reversible.
    What I referred to was ….the SHAPE of the plug …………...Annnnnnnnd reversing the one you have will change the POLARITY ….. On an LED - this is likely to Prevent it from … LIGHTING at all …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Installed on the F3s - YES!!