Spyder Garage

Default Ryker throttle control tips

Hello, I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on throttle control for the Ryker? How do you grip the throttle bar through a turn? Do you hold tight on both bars and just learn to control the throttle position? Or do you grip the left tightly and use that for main steering while feathering the throttle control? Trying to form good habits as I learn the proper way to ride.

Spyder Garage

Hmmmm.
    I'm not sure what I'm doing. I just do it. However, I'm also a new rider, so I'm interested to hear what the veterans have to share.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyuberalles View Post
    Hmmmm.
    I'm not sure what I'm doing. I just do it. However, I'm also a new rider, so I'm interested to hear what the veterans have to share.
    lol we are in the same boat then. When you turn right, do you grip the throttle handle tightly to support the turn? I've heard that you should hold on with your thighs and just lightly hold on. But if I do that, I can see myself being flung off like my drunken nights at the mechanical bull.

Spyder Garage

Just hold on and don't fall off. Keep giving the gas. Have Fun.

Spyder Garage

I was confused at first, but "think" I may see where you're going now... so I'll add a few comments for whatever they may be worth.

First off, you shouldn't really be gripping overly tightly with either hand, but you DO need far more "pressure" than with a 2 wheel motorcycle since this isn't a counter steering situation (and the Ryker doesn't have power assisted steering).

If you are going into a turn aggressively, first important thing is to get your braking done early so you can gradually add throttle through the turn. This is true of any performance driving regardless of the machine.

As for actual mechanics on the bars, I generally try to push with one hand, pull with the other at relatively equal pressures per bar end. Shouldn't matter if the throttle grip is on the inside or outside of the turn.

Do not use the bars to help balance you on the machine. Lean slightly to the inside will help keep you well balanced. Do this by putting pressure on the outside peg to push your center of gravity to the inside of the turn.

Really, riding this feels very similar to ATV riding...

Not sure if any of that helps as I can't say I really "think" about it while riding, it just kind of happens based on previous riding experience between bikes, cars, ATV's, snowmobiles, jet ski's, etc... They all have their nuances. Take it slow and you'll find the best approach for both yourself and your machine...
    Ryker 900 ACE - 2-up spring, max mount, passenger seat, short seat rail, Shad bag

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker2112 View Post
    I was confused at first, but "think" I may see where you're going now... so I'll add a few comments for whatever they may be worth.

First off, you shouldn't really be gripping overly tightly with either hand, but you DO need far more "pressure" than with a 2 wheel motorcycle since this isn't a counter steering situation (and the Ryker doesn't have power assisted steering).

If you are going into a turn aggressively, first important thing is to get your braking done early so you can gradually add throttle through the turn. This is true of any performance driving regardless of the machine.

As for actual mechanics on the bars, I generally try to push with one hand, pull with the other at relatively equal pressures per bar end. Shouldn't matter if the throttle grip is on the inside or outside of the turn.

Do not use the bars to help balance you on the machine. Lean slightly to the inside will help keep you well balanced. Do this by putting pressure on the outside peg to push your center of gravity to the inside of the turn.

Really, riding this feels very similar to ATV riding...

Not sure if any of that helps as I can't say I really "think" about it while riding, it just kind of happens based on previous riding experience between bikes, cars, ATV's, snowmobiles, jet ski's, etc... They all have their nuances. Take it slow and you'll find the best approach for both yourself and your machine...
    Ok. Yeah ... sounds about right. I don't really death grip the bars, but still keep pressure. I tend to be a lot more comfortable cornering left than I do when turning right. Mainly because I'm "pulling" with the right, which is also the throttle ... and I don't want to accidentally give it more power.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
    Ok. Yeah ... sounds about right. I don't really death grip the bars, but still keep pressure. I tend to be a lot more comfortable cornering left than I do when turning right. Mainly because I'm "pulling" with the right, which is also the throttle ... and I don't want to accidentally give it more power.
    You can try pushing more than pulling on rights. When turning left lean in and line your head up over your left arm like you are going to kiss your wrist and on rights line up over your right arm and do the same. Put pressure on the outside peg. And absolutely lose the death grip!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Also worth adding, because it catches so many new riders.... Always, always, always, look where you want to go... Always...

If you're not familiar with the term, look up target fixation.

If you panic in a turn and look where you "fear" you may end up, chances increase dramatically that you will.

Remember, majority of "bike" accidents where the rider leaves the road are caused by the rider, not the machine. Trust that it will do what it needs to as long as you focus on where you want to be down the road and give the right inputs. It has more grip than you think. On two wheels in particular, newer riders tend to underestimate the bike, panic, and stand it up.
    Ryker 900 ACE - 2-up spring, max mount, passenger seat, short seat rail, Shad bag

Spyder Garage

Hi all ref grip don't hold the grips to tight , let it have its head and if speed is ok for road conditions keep steady throttle control and depending on left / right turn pull bars into turn , a bit my effort is required because of lack of power steering
    Regards. Nico75

Spyder Garage

I would guess that I use a 60/40 or 55/45 grip left/right. That way I can still control the throttle.

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue