Spyder Garage

Default Newbie question on lights

Hello, please forgive the basic, "silly" question, but I am a little confused about lights on my 2014 RT. I see that next to each beam light there is what appears to be a small receptacle that on my Spyder is not in use. What is that for?

Also, to install fog lights do I need a full kit that replaces the black plastic insert that I currently have?

And finally, what is the best approach to improve light output at night so that I can see better? New, LED beam lights, fog lights, or something else?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gianfri View Post
    Hello, please forgive the basic, "silly" question, but I am a little confused about lights on my 2014 RT. I see that next to each beam light there is what appears to be a small receptacle that on my Spyder is not in use. What is that for?

Also, to install fog lights do I need a full kit that replaces the black plastic insert that I currently have?

And finally, what is the best approach to improve light output at night so that I can see better? New, LED beam lights, fog lights, or something else?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge!
    I have a BASIC 2014 RT ….. The Panels needed to accept the OEM Fog lights must be purchased separately ( read that as Expensive especially considering you also have to the lights themselves ) ….As to the " small receptacle " yes those can also have lights and I have seen them …. The amount of light they project is a Joke and they are also expensive …...…….. good luck ….. PS - there are some incredibly powerful After-market LED's that you can buy and are easily installed ( compared to the OEM set-up ) ….send " PMK " a PM and ask about theses LED's, He can give you info as to where youcan purchase …… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Contact Joe at "Squared Away." I've watched him and Ann install LED lights on more than one occasion. He can help you with just about any question you may have about LED's. I recall being told something about certain LED's requiring modifications to your spyder that were not particularly desirable, and there were better and easier brands to install that had longer life expectancies.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would install running lights on the a-arms or even on the fenders before I’d spend money installing the oem fogs. You’ll light up a lot more road thst way. T r i c l e d.com has some nice ones that are reasonably priced.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

+1 for T r i c l e d's LED headlights. Tremendous improvement and they fit in the stock fixture.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

RE: The small light receptacles...The 2014 RT-S version and up comes with extra LED lights installed in that area. Fog lights are also included in that package.

Both types of lights can be ordered and installed for extra $$. The alternative solutions mentioned above are also right on. I added fogs to our basic 2011....but no additional lights.

Bottom line...you cannot have to many lights. Let us know what you do.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red