Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire repair

Spyder Garage

Default Tire repair

A few days ago I filled the tires with proper air pressure, then parked in the garage, I went to ride today and the right front is flat, picked up a small nail center of tire apparently on the way . Would you plug or have a patch put on. Never had to take a Spyder tire to a tire shop, anything special I need to know?
    To be continued....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasinsparks View Post
    A few days ago I filled the tires with proper air pressure, then parked in the garage, I went to ride today and the right front is flat, picked up a small nail center of tire apparently on the way . Would you plug or have a patch put on. Never had to take a Spyder tire to a tire shop, anything special I need to know?
    IF you have a Kenda …. best get a new tire ………….. If you have an Auto tire just plug it. auto tires can be safely plugged, they have way more tread plies than any Kenda ………… jmho ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

The best is an internal patch but I have found the mushroom plugs work the best. Have used them on all kinds of vehicles with never a problem. Now how new/old are the tires..? what kind are they..? Where and how you ryde are facts to consider....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The best is an internal patch but I have found the mushroom plugs work the best.
    Yup and the best kit I have used for these is the Stop-n-Go brand. Really high quality stuff, excellent design to do the job yourself. Especially with their "plug gun" model:
    https://www.stopngo.com/standard-model-tire-plugger/

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll patch a wheelbarrow tire, a lawn mower tire. or a garden cart tire...
    Beyond that: I'm always extra cautious, and simply replace one that has been damaged.
    Your life, and the lives of your Family members ride on those tires: why take even the smallest chance?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'll patch a wheelbarrow tire, a lawn mower tire. or a garden cart tire...
    Beyond that: I'm always extra cautious, and simply replace one that has been damaged.
    Your life, and the lives of your Family members ride on those tires: why take even the smallest chance?
    Bob I'm all for caution ….. But please tell me what you think happens if the plug or patch fail ????? ………...….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input, Kenda with 2000 miles.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

I kind of agree but seem horrible to trash a tire with 2000 miles on it. But I see what you are saying.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

If I were you, I would trash the Kendas and take this opportunity to upgrade to CTs. The Kendas are so flimsey that I would worry about their ability to function well after being wounded. You can replace the fronts with better tires for half the price most dealers charge for Kendas. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Stop n Go +2

I Plugged the OEM Kenda on my 15 RT when I experienced a puncture middle of the tread on the front coming home from Arizona using the mushroom plug in my StopnGo kit. It was the first time I used the kit and recommend trying it out in the comfort of your garage, but it worked quite well in the shade of the drive of a MomnPop detail shop in Gallup NM.

I rode home and put another 5-8000 miles before changing them out to Federal Formosa AZ1's. The FOBO tire monitors alerted me of the initial puncture, and continue to provide confidence on the tires I have on now.
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 03-26-2019 at 08:46 PM. Reason: from
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depending on the age and which Kenda you have could well determine what your options are. If it's and older Kenda get two of the new ones or two new car tires. Like BK911 said don't patch the old one. The older Kenda tires were very soft, didn't last long. The new ones are much stronger and have stiffer tread and sidewalls.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..

So we all can agree that a sidewall puncture is a tire replacement. I have plugged sidewallls to get me home and then replaced the tire. The most common failure from plugs is they can get pulled out if not installed right. The doubled over type the sticky twist and pull type or the strech type all have minimal expansion and if not trimmed flush with the tire can pull out with a burn out or gravel road. The mushroom type has the best expansion on the inside and the plugs wear down with the tread so it will never be longer than the tread. This is just me and being from a third world country and things are not cheap nor easy to get we make things last. That tire has 30,000 miles left on it and my first set got 33,000 miles and the second set are doing just as well. My problem is if I were to change the tire I would not be comfortable not changing both...The problem is no one is going to plug it at a shop.... steel belted radials are hard to plug and will damage most plugs...The whole trick is in the installation. If you don't have anyone you trust change the tire....Jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Plug it until you can get a new tire. C'mon, it's not like a regular motorcycle that will fall over if you get a flat. Shops won't plug a tire, too much liability.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    If I were you, I would trash the Kendas and take this opportunity to upgrade to CTs. The Kendas are so flimsey that I would worry about their ability to function well after being wounded. You can replace the fronts with better tires for half the price most dealers charge for Kendas. Good luck..... Jim
    Read what AeroSpark & Chupaca posted ………… with what they said ….. As to WORST case scenario, the patch/plug will fail and the Air will leak out ( in today's type of tire ) ………… Before TUBELESS tires a BlowOut was a dangerous thing.... Tires that had tubes could have a violent flat, tubless tires don't react the same way …… good luck ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

My thoughts..... And I have absolutely no scientific background to defend my position. But, I believe that plugging a radial steel belted tire CAN compromise the integrity of the tire. And I would especially worry about that with a flimsy 2 ply Kenda. I think an internal patch, while more inconvienant to apply, is a better fix and less intrusive. For my money, paying $150 to have 2 four ply tires installed is money well spent. And the benefits of improved handling that most experience is something that justifies switching..... I have ridden both 2 and 3 wheel vehicles that experienced internal tread seperation. It is not pretty..... Jim
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Bob I'm all for caution ….. But please tell me what you think happens if the plug or patch fail ????? ………...….. Mike
    I'm glad that you asked...
    If the plug (or patch) fails: it's going to cost you even more riding time. It probably won't fail in your garage, so you'll have to deal with it out on the road.
    Fix it once, and fix it right!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

combi patch if you want it to be safe & permanent.

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the input, have taken much of the advise and ordered some Vredestein Quatrac 5 now to find someone to mount and balance. Gotta hurry Saturday is supposed to be in the 70's.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the input, have taken much of the advise and ordered some Vredestein Quatrac 5 now to find someone to mount and balance. Gotta hurry Saturday is supposed to be in the 70's.
    GREAT choice. After going through this and sorting out all the suggestions, It will be good to know your thoughts after you have a chance to experience your new tires. BTW, I had my front tires mounted at Costco. Just took the wheels off and took them to their tire department. When mounted they specified "vehicle unknowen" but I was prepared to say they were for a home built dune buggy. The issue never came up. Good luck..... Jim
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jim will post an update, Like the dune buggy answer I was prepared to answer small trailer. going with the 175/55R15
    To be continued....

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Jim will post an update, Like the dune buggy answer I was prepared to answer small trailer. going with the 175/55R15
    i have that size with my vredsteins, i think they are very good, runs smooth, balanced well

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a thick hex-head bolt (3/8 or 7/16, I dunno) poke its way through the tread of a front Kenda on my 2015. A tire shop dismounted and inside-patched the hole, and it now runs just fine. That was several tens of thousands of miles ago, and it's still running with no ill effects. I now have over 66,500 miles on those OEM Kendas, they still run smooth enough, and have lots of tread left. Just the other day I punched it up to 110mph briefly, with no handling problems (just pay real close attention!).

YMMV.

Edit: I just found my record where I paid $7.00 for the patch. It was when the Spyder was exactly one year old, and had right at 20,000 miles on it.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I had a thick hex-head bolt (3/8 or 7/16, I dunno) poke its way through the tread of a front Kenda on my 2015. A tire shop dismounted and inside-patched the hole, and it now runs just fine. That was several tens of thousands of miles ago, and it's still running with no ill effects. I now have over 66,500 miles on those OEM Kendas, they still run smooth enough, and have lots of tread left. Just the other day I punched it up to 110mph briefly, with no handling problems (just pay real close attention!).

YMMV.
    Holy crap that's not a hole … it's a Crater ….. just shows how poorly / weakly Kenda tires are made …. I seriously doubt any thing that large could puncture even a well worn Auto tire …..jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Holy crap that's not a hole … it's a Crater ….. just shows how poorly / weakly Kenda tires are made …. I seriously doubt any thing that large could puncture even a well worn Auto tire …..jmho …. Mike
    You would be absolutely stunned at some of the things I have pulled out of tires when I was in the industry! Here are a few that I remember vividly:
    Wire cutters, slip-joint pliers, drill bits, various sized bolts (one had a 9/16 shank"!), railroad spike!! Of course all of these were non-repairable!!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No big deal just remove it from the Spyder and take it to a trusted tire shop and
    have them dismount it and patch / repair it from the inside, We do it here at Motorcycle Daves often.
    however on a two wheeled rig only no guarantee, three and 4 wheeled no problem
    Dave