Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire repair

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ha, I was at the local tire store and a lady came in asking if someone could check her tires. She said something was making a clunking sound. Soon after a group of male employees were gathered around her car joking and laughing. I went over to see what was going on and there was the head of a railroad spike sticking out of the tread of her rear tire, and the tire was still holding air! She said the car had been making the clinking sound for a couple of days. The tire was a Goodyear double eagle. Wow.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i've seen railroad spikes many times in tires & wheels but never seen it still holding air.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Amazing............

Absolutely! I think that was what drew the crowd. I was totally amazed that the tire appeared to be inflated and according to the owner, it had been that way a couple (?) of days. The last I knew, several years later, that tire was on display in the customer's waiting room at the dealership until the business closed. I'd often thought that tire must have been one of those "run flat tires," but that was before run flats ever hit the market. One of my first paying jobs was breaking down and fixing flats at a small service station after school and on weekends. Now, I can hardly believe that you can fix a road side flat with a little kit small enough to fit in your pocket, amazing. In case you're interested there's a youtube video where a young fellow demonstrated the use and effectiveness of all the styles of today's quick flat repair kits. Conclusion was that some were definitely better than others, but none were 100% effective. I've had the best luck with the gummy strip types.

Spyder Garage

Good call got the Vredesteins mounted and balanced at Costco, not questions asked. Thanks for the suggestion. Itching to get out an ride now.
    To be continued....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Ha, I was at the local tire store and a lady came in asking if someone could check her tires. She said something was making a clunking sound. Soon after a group of male employees were gathered around her car joking and laughing. I went over to see what was going on and there was the head of a railroad spike sticking out of the tread of her rear tire, and the tire was still holding air! She said the car had been making the clinking sound for a couple of days. The tire was a Goodyear double eagle. Wow.
    I'll be you a nickel that even though it was still holding air: it was nowhere near properly-balanced anymore...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black