Spyder Garage

Default RT Belly Pan & Oil Change

Hi all does anyone remove the belly pans under their RT when they do an oil change so the oil doesn’t splash all over them. Oh I have a 2016 RTL and I may remove them of my wife’s 14 ST as well. Thanks much Michrick
    2016 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Year and model Spyder?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I just changed the oil on 2018 RT a couple weeks ago, for first time. Had a 2011 RT before, and changed it all the time. I never took off the belly pan, didn’t jack it up or anything. Take off the right side panel so you can get oil filter out. I used a rubber pan that goes under a water heater, you can get them at home depot or Lowe’s for like 8 or 9 dollars. Low side, fits right under spyder. Warm up engine, then loosen main engine plug on left side, don’t take it all the way out, just loosen it enough to let oil run out real good. Otherwise if you take it clear out, it’ll run everywhere. Do the same with transmission plug on right side, water heater pan works good for this, you can catch both of them with one pan. Do this about 1130, that way you can go eat, and give them both time to drain. When you get done eating they should be drained, that way there’s no mess. Take plugs out, continue with oil change. Good luck, it’s really pretty easy

Spyder Garage

Default choices, choices

I have done it both ways but because I set aside the day to do it I like removeing all the panels around the engine and give it an engine wash while I am there anyway. If it is short notice I don't do the wash and all the panels but do the lower section only. Hot/warm oil tends to splash and collect on the bottom panels and drip off causing concern if not aware of the oil change....your choice...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michrick View Post
    Hi all does anyone remove the belly pans under their RT when they do an oil change so the oil doesn’t splash all over them. Oh I have a 2016 RTL and I may remove them of my wife’s 14 ST as well. Thanks much Michrick
    I have a 2014 RT with the 1330 engine … I lift the Spyder but don't remove the Belly pans ….. If you aren't already giving the Drain Plugs a good RAP using a socket and hammer prior to remove them, you should. It breaks the Varnish seal asnd makes it way easier ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

In the 4 years and 84,000 miles that we owned our RT I never took the belly pans off for just an oil change, and I never had an issue with dripping oil.
    Now when I changed the trans filter I always removed the right side belly pan as well as the panel support due to ease of filter removal as well as the oil mesh it ceates.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advice mine is a 2016 RTL ride safe michrick
    2016 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RT and I used a dremol and enlarged the two holes so the oil would not catch the pan. On my 2011, I simply removed the pan and left it off.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

A big +1 on using a Dremel tool to enlarge both drain areas. Then there is no muss/ no fuss.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

We do a lot of oil changes on customer's bikes. Always remove the belly pan for a clean job. I hate drips....especially in the customers garage.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Yes that's what is going on since the dealer did mine, first service and oil done for free. Since the first service I've only put 2000 miles on but it's been sitting all winter and I'd like to drop the oil . So I'm gonna tackle the RT oil change myself, the mirror thing has me a bit worried though. Anyhow I believe the oil should be changed every spring regardless of miles . I'm sure they got oil all over that pan and I hate it dripping after a long ride Thanks for everyone input on this topic I'm sure it's been asked before thanks michrick
    2016 RT Limited , White