Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Caused this.

I have never had a open riding experience till I took delivery of my Ryker in February. I like the feeling of going down the road with nothing being around you. So the other day I figured I would take it up a level and do something I said I would never do and I bought a 2 wheel Motorcycle also. The Ryker got my feet wet in to riding and took some of my fears away about being on the road with a cycle. So I got this 2005 Harley Davidson V -rod.

hd1.jpg

Spyder Garage

It's a sickness. We're all sick. But we do smile a lot. Welcome to the asylum..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

If you have not taken a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, particularly after purchasing a V-rod, do so to save your own backside.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jasons900Ryker View Post
    I have never had a open riding experience till I took delivery of my Ryker in February. I like the feeling of going down the road with nothing being around you. So the other day I figured I would take it up a level and do something I said I would never do and I bought a 2 wheel Motorcycle also. The Ryker got my feet wet in to riding and took some of my fears away about being on the road with a cycle. So I got this 2005 Harley Davidson V -rod.

hd1.jpg
    That is awesome! I had a similar experience with a spyder almost 10 years ago, it was the gateway drug. now have multiple bikes, including a VROD muscle. Check out the forum for VRODs. Great source of info, definitely better than HD dealerships: https://www.1130cc.com/forums/

here is my 2014 VRSCF20180728_192120.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If you have not taken a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, particularly after purchasing a V-rod, do so to save your own backside.
    Just signed up for one the State of Pennsylvania offers. Its four days 2 classroom days and 2 range days, And After that I am singing up for the Harley Davidson learning school. Not taking the Bike out till at least I am finished with the PA state class.

Spyder Garage

Good decision. That V-Rod will feel like a rocketship.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

yes, without much experience that big fat rear tire may give you some challenges in the turns. the bike likes to stay up straight, almost like training wheels.

Lots of good advice will come out of the training. I did MSF and I am going to have all my kids take that course whether they end up riding or not - it teaches great situational awareness.

2 bits of advice for a newbie on 2 wheels (and obviously there is lots more):
    1. the bike will go wherever you are looking. it is like magic. so when turning, going around a corner, whatever - look where you want the bike to go
    2. in slow speed handling, especially turns, the rear brake is your friend for stable control (the front brake will dump you)

Spyder Garage

Caution, owning and riding both might cause severe strain to your facial cheek muscles, grin on!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

:
    1. the bike will go wherever you are looking. it is like magic. so when turning, going around a corner, whatever - look where you want the bike to go

just tp technical this up a little, the effect is call "point fixation" which I first experienced at 10 years old running over my neighbors kitten, nose to tai
    with my stingray bicycle. Later experienced this with a brick.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Congratulations! Have had a vrod since 06. I’m CPTJAM over there, too. Great bike. Mine is modded a bit:
    FCA2BFE7-5488-48CA-90FE-87E80343C758.jpg
    Tires, wheels, paint, fairing, saddlebags, saddle, supercharger, chrome.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jasons900Ryker View Post
    Just signed up for one the State of Pennsylvania offers. Its four days 2 classroom days and 2 range days, And After that I am singing up for the Harley Davidson learning school. Not taking the Bike out till at least I am finished with the PA state class.
    but heads up fyi the solid rims on the V-Rod act like wind sails! From experience on my '03 anniversary one 100_0234.jpg, Any cross wind at all & you are changing lanes , if not you are at least going to lean while attempting to stay straight. & I'm 6'3 250ish, several times out on casual rides winds +/- 20 (nothing major)most times it would catch & easily lean 15degrees or more not quite to knee dragging curves manuvers , just straight always with a lean like I had to look around someone in front of me or something. Was lil odd & knew not good for the tires the averaged bout same as crap kendas do on spyders, only more costly, think my first rear made 7k miles & was showing threads no burn outs or crazy stuff, just stock"sticky" Dunlop tire. Only kept bike 3years & traded out. Even built the Lego look alike model. Happier with the & safer too
    Last edited by Bfromla; 03-26-2019 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Pic

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

It is nice to have one or more flavor. There is something special about two wheels too.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow!

I hope the Ryker doesn't get lonely!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)