Thread: Go Pro

Spyder Garage

Default Go Pro

I was thinking of getting a Go Pro. any suggestion on the best type of mounts and where to mount it.

Spyder Garage

Check with the Ram ball folks they have them all. Which one will depend on what model you have and what type of video you are wanting to film. Most com with some mouting in the box....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have the hero5, works great but found helmet mount works best. Less vibration and it sees what you see.

Spyder Garage

Helmet mount on mine - works great.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

I used a Hero 2 for 5 years on my Honda. I mounted mine on my helmet because anyplace else on the bike on a RAM mount there would be vibration in the videos. Now that I have my Spyder I've been looking at buying the new Hero 7 because it has supposedly solved the "vibration" problem and videos will be fine mounted anywhere on the vehicle. Note that if you use a modular helmet, your mount locations on it will be limited because you have to allow room for the chin bar to swing open/closed. Because I was using a Shark helmet at the time where the chin bar opened all the way to the BACK of the helmet, I had to use a combination of attachments provided by GoPro to get the camera in a location that would allow it to "see" what I was recording. It involved 4 separate GoPro connectors and stuck out from the side of my helmet kinda far.

With the new Hero 7 not having the vibration issue anymore, I'm probably just gonna get an lamonster Spyder Cuff for the handlebar, screw in a RAM ball on it, and use a single RAM extender to position the camera where I want it. No more having the extra weight hanging off my helmet. Plus it will be conveniently located near a USB port I'm also going to install near the handlebar, so I can power the GoPro while riding without running the battery in it dry (the batteries in the GoPro don't last all that long if you are recording HD content.

If it was me and I hadn't bought the GoPro yet, I'd buy the Hero 7 and forget all about vibration affecting where you mount it.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

One major issue with the GoPro 7 Black I just bought, is that you can NOT record while it is plugged in recharging the battery. So if you are looking to use it like a dash cam where you leave it on all the time, it won’t allow that as it will run out of battery after an hour or so. If you are only looking to turn it on from time to time to record specific parts of your ride, it is brilliant.
    I ended up buying a Sena 10C Pro which has comms and camera in one package, is very easy to use, good quality video and you can charge as you record (albeit with a cable running up inside your jacket to your helmet

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I've been on the fence about a camera for a long time. How do the helmet mount(s) work with modular helmets like a Shoei Neotec? Would it get obstruct use of the latch lever. My son mounts his atop his helmet but that seems like a potential hassle getting it aimed correctly for your needs.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hero 5 Session here. It's smaller than the others, cube shaped, excellent HD Quality. I've been using these for years in snowmobiling, a much harsher environment than on our Spyders. Takes time and practice to not only capture raw video but also in the editing. You'll want to look into an editing program if you want to share your vids. Definitely mount it on your helmet. Two reasons; it records what you're looking at like the road, scenery, etc. Secondly, less vibration. Mounted anywhere on the bike you will be recording every bump and pothole you come across. Here's some video from about a month ago here in Wisconsin. I apologize for posting twice for those that have seen this on another post, I don't have any video from the Spyder I would feel worthy of sharing. Again, this is from GoPro's Hero5 Session and edited with the Cyberlink PowerDirector program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9vm_nYe8rU

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    How do the helmet mount(s) work with modular helmets like a Shoei Neotec? Would it get obstruct use of the latch lever. My son mounts his atop his helmet but that seems like a potential hassle getting it aimed correctly for your needs.
    We mount them on the side of the helmet free from the moving parts. As far as aiming? That will take some practice with trial and error.

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

If you mount on the bike as opposed to the helmet, do you lock it away each time you leave? Seems like it might sprout legs....just wondering.

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapnPete View Post
    If you mount on the bike as opposed to the helmet, do you lock it away each time you leave? Seems like it might sprout legs....just wondering.
    Regardless of mounted on the bike or your helmet, it's just a thumb screw that tightens the camera to the mount. So you always unscrew the camera and lock it inside the bike, even if you helmet lock your helmet to the bike and walk away. Anybody could walk up, unscrew the thumbscrew, and take your camera off the helmet or the bike mount.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I've been on the fence about a camera for a long time. How do the helmet mount(s) work with modular helmets like a Shoei Neotec? Would it get obstruct use of the latch lever. My son mounts his atop his helmet but that seems like a potential hassle getting it aimed correctly for your needs.
    I mounted to the side of the helmet so that it didn't interfere with the front nose piece. I use a ION tubular shaped camera.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I currently mount a GoPro 5 to the top of the dash on my RT using a Tric LED bracket and GoPro slide with swivel GoPro mount.

ppx7LLK9Q3i%1miuVPROqQ.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I have the 7 silver and use a JT dash mount with a ram mount ball. I considered mounting to my helmet but I look around a lot and thought that may not be the best. I haven't used it at normal travel speeds yet so I haven't been able to see if vibration will be an issue.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

GoPro 7 is a nice camera. I have the Hero 5 Black. There have been reports, from some owners, of issues with the 7. So if you get the 7 test it before using for anything important. Also get several batteries. I have been using the suction cup mount a bit and it sticks very well, on flat smooth surfaces. I do tether the camera to the bike, so if he mount fails the camera stays attached to the bike. I use the Smart Remote to activate the camera, and it works very well. Phone can also be used to trigger the camera. I like the Smart Remote, because it is easier to push the button with riding gloves. There is a GoPro users Facebook group that has a lot of information.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dpetrick View Post
    GoPro 7 is a nice camera. I have the Hero 5 Black. There have been reports, from some owners, of issues with the 7. So if you get the 7 test it before using for anything important. Also get several batteries. I have been using the suction cup mount a bit and it sticks very well, on flat smooth surfaces. I do tether the camera to the bike, so if he mount fails the camera stays attached to the bike. I use the Smart Remote to activate the camera, and it works very well. Phone can also be used to trigger the camera. I like the Smart Remote, because it is easier to push the button with riding gloves. There is a GoPro users Facebook group that has a lot of information.
    As the owner of a GoPro 7 for a few months, I find the the video quality very, very good with the stabilisation. The quality is significantly better than the Sena 10cPro, which is still good. I have not experienced any of the problems reported on any of the GoPro forums, with the only issue being that of short battery life, especially with the fact that you can not charge the 7 while recording. Unless you want to use the 7 as a permanent dash cam, this isn’t a serious issue.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Hello fellow Spyder drivers/riders,

First post here...for clarification to the Hero 7 Black owners. You cannot charge the camera while it’s “recording” with a usb-c...however, if it is plugged in and recording does it “stays powered on with constant power??” It just wouldn’t be charged if I took it off the plug and wanted to use it off the bike? Do I have that right?

I plan on riding more than 2 hours at a time this summer on new 2019 RTL and know the cameras will eat up batteries well before the ride day ends.

Thanks and look forward to being apart of the group.

SpyderFlyer76

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFlyer76 View Post
    Hello fellow Spyder drivers/riders,
    First post here...for clarification to the Hero 7 Black owners. You cannot charge the camera while it’s “recording” with a usb-c...however, if it is plugged in and recording does it “stays powered on with constant power??” It just wouldn’t be charged if I took it off the plug and wanted to use it off the bike? Do I have that right?

I plan on riding more than 2 hours at a time this summer on new 2019 RTL and know the cameras will eat up batteries well before the ride day ends.
    Thanks and look forward to being apart of the group.
    SpyderFlyer76
    I’m not sure if I have completely understood the question, SpyderFlyer......my take is that you are asking if the camera will record if a power cable is plugged in to it, even though the battery will not be charging? . The short answer is no..... if you have the 7 turned on, when you connect the power cable, the charge light will NOT come on and the 7 will not charge, and the battery will continue to drain. The battery life will vary depending on image quality selections etc, but it appears to be between 1 and 1.5 hours. You can buy a dual battery charger which can be charging while on the bike of course, but you have to take the 7 out of its case to replace the battery. I hope that answers your question.

Also, you can control the starting and stopping of recording via a single button press on the top of the camera, or via your phone, so if the camera is within reach, and you don’t want to record every second of your ride then you can get obviously get a longer record time. You are also limited by the size of your memory card.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Ok let me reword it. But I do think you and I are on same page....so let’s say for example I have the hero 7 WITHOUT a battery installed in it. I plug into the usb-c and want to start recording. Question = Will the camera power on and thus be ready to record?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CJ.RamMan View Post
    I have the 7 silver and use a JT dash mount with a ram mount ball. I considered mounting to my helmet but I look around a lot and thought that may not be the best. I haven't used it at normal travel speeds yet so I haven't been able to see if vibration will be an issue.
    I think I recognize that bike! Been a while since I've seen it... anything going on in Farmington this year?

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFlyer76 View Post
    Ok let me reword it. But I do think you and I are on same page....so let’s say for example I have the hero 7 WITHOUT a battery installed in it. I plug into the usb-c and want to start recording. Question = Will the camera power on and thus be ready to record?

Thanks
    Ooooops......sorry. I understood that bit perfectly from your earlier post, and then replied leaving the answer to that out. The Hero 7 will not power on while it is plugged into a power supply. HOWEVER, that is only my recollection, as I don’t currently have it here to double check, which I always like to do before making assertions. I am 99% sure that is the case, however.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

GoPro's are great but expensive. I went the cheap route and got the Ion Air camera at the time it cost less then 35.00. I did not want something so expensive I would have a heart attack if dropped stolen or lost. Just wanted it for insurance purposes. Paid off too when it captured an insurance claim incident that paid close to 2k in damages to my spyder. Video does not lie, got the run around until I told them I had video, transferred directly to claims after I told them that. Fully charged it will last about 2 hours and does not record while charging either. You can choose between helmet or ball mounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qHRkg0kqo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

If your into high-end action camera, DJI will be hitting the action camera market soon (that might also be the last nail in GoPro's coffin).

If your not in a hurry I would wait for their product...

If your just looking for a nice and not so costly 4K action camera, look for the Yi brand, very capable at a reasonable price.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin