Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Towing your Spyder between two homes

Hello,

I have two homes located 450 kms apart, 95% highway. I'm thinking of buying a trailer to take my Spyder back and forth. I figure it would give me more flexibility like driving at night and in bad weather. The 401 is very boring highway for riding repeatedly and I drive faster than I ride. Also, I may use it when I winter in Florida from Canada, but I'm not sure I would take the Spyder down anyway. Obviously, that is a major consideration.

It's another "thing" to take care of, store, I am just so fed up of buying stuff and I am trying to downsize. Obviously, buying a Spyder was not a very good first step towards downsizing.

The alternative is to keep the Spyder at one location mostly and possibly commute once a month on it. I do the commute 2-3 times a month. I have been going back and forth in my head for a few months and I can't make up my mind. Maybe I am missing a few pros and cons. Anybody had a similar experience and decided either way. Why? Any second thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts?

Cheers,
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Just go buy a decent utility trailer, 6'x12', with a bifold ramp on the back. Then you have a trailer to use whenever you need it for whatever you need it for.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I store mine in an enclosed 7x12 trailer dual axle. Trailer it when I need too. Never been to Florida,but the trailer is its home.I like the fact that I can take it to southern Ontario, and not drive on that wretched 401 to London with it.Safe and secure.

Spyder Garage

Before I even picked up my new Spyder F3L in June 2017, I went looking for a suitable trailer once I had decided to buy the bike. Why? Living in Ontario meant that I would be a 7-month rider, at best, each year. But, we also have a place in Central Florida, and I wanted the Spyder to get maximum use. That meant either hauling it back and forth, or riding. Much easier and quicker to haul. This is our second year now, going back and forth. Best decision I made. I stop off on the way down each fall and ride the hills in TN, NC, WV, etc., for several days. Makes for a magical trip. Trailer also comes in handy for short hauls back home in ON, going to dealer, hauling other things occasionally. Have even done the same in FL. The trailer's cost was a small investment that made it easily possible to maximize Spyder fun everywhere we live. My advice: stop dithering, buy the trailer; take the Spyder with you everywhere and you'll never stop smiling. I was lucky and found a used aluminum trailer that another owner had built (and used) for hauling his Spyder back and forth to FL; he also lives near you, and did the trip 5 times before getting a toy hauler. I grabbed his trailer a whole month before I even laid out money for my bike. Absolutely no regrets. DO IT!!
    attachment.jpg
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

JBIM,

I know what you mean by having to store the trailer. I have that issue in that I live in a townhouse association that doesn't allow trailers to be stored outside. That means I have to be able to store it in my garage, or rent a spot at a storage facility. We are going to start staying winters in warmer states, and will need to trailer one of the F3's back and forth.
    I am looking at the Drop-Tail trailer as that one folds up, and stands up so it will take up less room in the garage. It will cost more than a non-folding trailer, but not having to pay rent for a parking spot for the trailer will make up for that.
    I think you will appreciate having a trailer to bring your Spyder back and forth safely.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys for the advice. Obviously, it's unanimous. I found a folding trailer that would fit just fine, would most likely have good resale value and keep well in the meantime. Just not cheap to buy initially!

https://apogeetrailers.com/

Safe riding!

J

Spyder Garage

Looks nice. I assume you are looking at the X600, or X700 as they are the only two wide enough for the Spyder.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Thanks guys for the advice. Obviously, it's unanimous. I found a folding trailer that would fit just fine, would most likely have good resale value and keep well in the meantime. Just not cheap to buy initially!

Safe riding!

J
    That's a very interesting looking piece of equipment; some great features. Hope it checks out well for you. Likely won't be too difficult to find a buyer if you tire of it, so probably a reasonable investment gamble too. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    JBIM,

I know what you mean by having to store the trailer. I have that issue in that I live in a townhouse association that doesn't allow trailers to be stored outside. That means I have to be able to store it in my garage, or rent a spot at a storage facility. We are going to start staying winters in warmer states, and will need to trailer one of the F3's back and forth.
    I am looking at the Drop-Tail trailer as that one folds up, and stands up so it will take up less room in the garage. It will cost more than a non-folding trailer, but not having to pay rent for a parking spot for the trailer will make up for that.
    I think you will appreciate having a trailer to bring your Spyder back and forth safely.
    I have a Drop-Tail trailer. Much as I like the trailer, do not underestimate its weight. When I tried to stand up my Drop-Tail to take up less space, I nearly threw my back out (and BTW I am 6'-4", in good health, and work out at the gym regularly). I think it's neat that you can stand up the Drop-Tail, but I'd definitely call that a two man job. And if it's that hard to raise up, it's probably also a two man job to lower it back down. And unless your woman is built like Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones, I do mean a two "man" job. I wasn't going to throw out my 5'-0" wife's back as well in a man-woman effort. As a result, I gave up and just folded over the back end (that's heavy enough) and left it like that, putting a 12' x 12' tarp to cover the whole thing (I also had to build a simple wood support so rain wouldn't just accumulate on the tarp).

Another thing I found out that you might find useful: The Drop-Tail does not come with any kind of front support. From the factory, the tongue and hitch just lay on the ground. It does have a "pipe-mount" on it and Drop-Tail does sell an optional front support thingie with a flat foot that fits on the pipe-mount, but the flat foot is not helpful in moving it around. Instead, I bought a Bulldog Round, Pipe-Mount Swivel Jack - Sidewind - 10" Lift - 2,000 lbs together with "Bulldog Removable, 6" Steel Caster Assembly for 2" Jack Tube - 1,000 lbs." I got this from etrailer.com after discussing it with them by phone. This attaches to the pipe-mount and this setup allows me to roll the Drop-Tail around my driveway, parking space and the street in front, PLUS it adjusts the height of the hitch with a crank so it's easy to attach the trailer to the tow vehicle without lifting that heavy tongue. Once it's attached, you remove the swivel jack assembly and put it in the trunk or pickup bed while you are trailering, then put it back when you remove the trailer. I have no idea why Drop-Tail doesn't sell something similar to this because it is 1000 times more useful than what they sell.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would think some sort of winch would help.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Safe riding!

J
    As long as it does the job might even find more uses to help make it worth while.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

My friend uses a small electric winch for lifting and lowering his, so my plan is to copy his set up. I believe he also has a swivel jack that folds up and out of the way. Since he did all the work to make this a one person job I am going to be a copy cat.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

My friend uses a small electric winch for lifting and lowering his, so my plan is to copy his set up. I believe he also has a swivel jack that folds up and out of the way. Since he did all the work to make this a one person job I am going to be a copy cat.
    Good luck with that. Seeing is believing. Post pictures.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Just buy another Spyder and keep one at each house.

Spyder Garage

Wow, I really like that Apogee X-600 folding trailer but apparently there are no dealers in the US
    I live in Florida and would seriously consider one of these if they were reasonably priced and within driving distance to pick one up.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    Wow, I really like that Apogee X-600 folding trailer but apparently there are no dealers in the US
    I live in Florida and would seriously consider one of these if they were reasonably priced and within driving distance to pick one up.
    I agree. I did send them a question about this via there request page, but have not heard back from them.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

There is a guy right in ontario that makes folding trailers specifically for spyders i believe they go for $2200 CAD
    https://ca.stingertrailer.com/produc...pyder-trailer/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

Looks nice. I assume you are looking at the X600, or X700 as they are the only two wide enough for the Spyder.
    I'm hoping I can go with the X500 as it is actually 61.5 inches wide. It would be tight but if it works I would prefer a narrower setup.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    That's a very interesting looking piece of equipment; some great features. Hope it checks out well for you. Likely won't be too difficult to find a buyer if you tire of it, so probably a reasonable investment gamble too. Good luck.
    Yes indeed, I'm thinking maybe I could get 50% back after 4-5 years as they are aluminium. I've been watching those since the Fall last year and never seen a used one for sale. So either they don't sell many or those who buy them find them very practical and keep them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Just buy another Spyder and keep one at each house.
    If not for insurance cost, that is what I would do, a nice little Ryker! That would be fun. Maybe so much fun that I would like to have it at both places...and need a trailer. Wouldn't that be even funnier. I am already paying 1500$ CDN for my F3L and a Ryker would add another 1000$ or so. In fact, when I want to spin it, I figure the additional insurance, additional maintenance and gas will eventually pay for the trailer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donhy View Post
    There is a guy right in ontario that makes folding trailers specifically for spyders i believe they go for $2200 CAD
    https://ca.stingertrailer.com/produc...pyder-trailer/
    Yes indeed. They go for 2600$, so about 1000$ less than the other one I'm looking at. I decided against one of them for three reasons:

1. They are not aluminium and I read at least one bad story of rust.

2. They are dedicated Spyder rigs and don't offer the flexibility for carrying other cargo

3. I am concerned about the resale market/value and as such I would probably lose as much on resale as on a more expensive trailer

I'm obviously over-thinking this too much as this would have been indeed a nice solution. They weigh about 500 pounds same as the other one but are rated 70 mph highway speed. Not sure about the other one yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    These are from a company in the Province of Quebec near Montreal. The dealer network in the rest of Canada is not great. They go for 3000$ to 4000$ CDN. 3500$ for the size I am looking at. So that must be like 20$ USD

Spyder Garage

I'm hoping I can go with the X500 as it is actually 61.5 inches wide. It would be tight but if it works I would prefer a narrower setup.
    Will they let you try putting your Spyder on one before purchasing it?
    It would be very disappointing to purchase and then find your 62" wide Spyder will not fit!

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes indeed. They go for 2600$, so about 1000$ less than the other one I'm looking at. I decided against one of them for three reasons:

1. They are not aluminium and I read at least one bad story of rust.

2. They are dedicated Spyder rigs and don't offer the flexibility for carrying other cargo

3. I am concerned about the resale market/value and as such I would probably lose as much on resale as on a more expensive trailer

I'm obviously over-thinking this too much as this would have been indeed a nice solution. They weigh about 500 pounds same as the other one but are rated 70 mph highway speed. Not sure about the other one yet.
    1. Aluminum isn't all it is cracked up to be either. I own an Aluma trailer and have had it welded twice because of stress fractures. I wouldn't let steel be a game stopper.

2. I do agree that a single purpose trailer is a bit of a waste unless I can fit a bed on the runners to get multi purpose use from it.

3. Like anything resale is all based on demand. I see a very small niche for this type of trailer.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

If it wasn't for the fold and store part, for the money I would buy a nice enclose trailer that you could use as a garage. You will never loose to much money on a resale, but you'll need some place to park it. A lot of these fold and go trailers are built pretty flimsy. Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl